Independent 6809/Virgilius (but only if you bought the paper)

Posted by neildubya on August 12th, 2008

neildubya.

If you solved the online puzzle today then this post is going to be of no use to you because, as it says in a note under the printed version of the puzzle: “For technical reasons a different puzzle is online today”. I have no idea what those technical reasons are but the printed grid does have the word OF printed in central square (see the explanation for 15/4 below) and maybe it wasn’t possible to do that in the online version.

If anyone solved the online puzzle and wants to write a post about it, leave a comment to stake your claim. If you’re a regular blogger then go ahead and post as normal; if you’re a commenter then please send it to [email protected] and I’ll post it for you. Please don’t forget to leave a comment though as this will prevent more than one of you writing about it.

The paper version has a theme of money and greed, as seen in the long answer at 15/4 and at 7,8,22,23,1 and 9. Quite tricky in places (I still don’t understand 10) but rock-solid as ever from Virgilius.

7 G,OLD RUSH
8 FA(T)C(A)T – a short thank-you is TA, which I’m hoping my 16 month old son will start saying any day now!
10 ATHENS – fits the definition of “foreign capital” but I can’t see the wordplay: “Instructions for writing as given in…”
15/4 THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL – “Timothy” is a reference to Timothy 6:10 in the Bible. The grid in the paper had the OF already filled in in the central square of the puzzle.
17 INFER,N,ALLY
19 LE MON(A)DE
22 U,SURER

1 FORTUNE-HUNTERS – I guess this must be a reference to unions of the marital kind.
2 (BRAVED)* – ADVERB
5 hidden reversed in “scAFFOld”
6 S,TOP,PAGE
9 A,V(A,R)ICIOUSNESS
13 C,A,VAN – in physics, C is the symbol for the speed of light.
14 KOOKY – I was a bit unsure of this when I filled it it but I’ve just looked it and apparently it can be a noun as well as an adjective.
16 LEE,BOARD – a board lowered on the lee side of a vessel, you’ll be unsurprised to hear.
20 A,WRY – “Rye” is the whisky. Clever use of “squiffy” which, apart from the obvious meaning, can also mean AWRY.
21 BUT,T – great definition in “use your loaf aggressively”.

11 Responses to “Independent 6809/Virgilius (but only if you bought the paper)”

1. Geoff Moss says:

10a ‘Instructions for writing as …’

If you were being told how to write ‘as’, it would be A then S.

2. Mort says:

Does anyone have either of the 18s?

3. neildubya says:

For 18a I had TAUT (a homophone of “taught”) and for 18d TAVERN (the Lord’s Tavern is a famous pub at Lord’s cricket ground where the Lord’s Taverners charity was founded. I think.)

4. NealH says:

I got tavern eventually, but I thought the “so to speak” bit didn’t add much to the clue apart from confusing me into thinking it must be a homophone.

5. NealH says:

I interpreted kooky slightly differently to you, I think:

Eccentric = kooky (adjective)
    person of a certain kind, say = soundalike of cookie, as in “he’s a tough cookie”.

Therefore, it doesn’t need kooky to be a noun.

6. Al Streatfield says:

TAVERN:

I agree with NealH. The clue seems a weak one. Why is a TAVERN a house, and what does the “so to speak” add apart from confusion?

7. nmsindy says:

I think the ‘so to speak’ may be because the cricket ground is Lord’s and the clue had Lords.

8. eimi says:

Also, Collins, COED and Chambers all provide ‘inn’ as a definition of house. Nmsindy is correct, of course, although I’m often surprised at how many people, even those who claim to be cricket fans, don’t know that Lord’s has an apostrophe. Virgilius would never ignore the apostrophe.

Neildubya is right about the technical difficulties. I could have OF in the online grid, but the enumeration and letter entry proved impossible to get around in the java version currently used for the online puzzle. I thought it ironically very greedy of Virgilius to want to put TWO letters in one square ;-). Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

Incidentally, today’s online puzzle is also a Virgilius, from the days before online Indies.

9. beermagnet says:

Neil, I’ll do a blog for the on-line version.

10. Al Streatfield says:

Re. 8:

Fine. A TAVERN is a “house”, although I can’t believe anyone would ever use this. Have you ever heard anyone say: “I am going to the house” when they meant “I am going to the pub” ?

As a cricket fan, I do in fact know that Lord’s has an apostrophe.

My objection is that Lords is not a homophone of Lord’s. It would only be one if it had a different spelling and the same sound. Would you accept “it’s” as a homophone of “its”, or “tavern’s” as a homophone of “taverns” etc…?

11. gry planszowe says:

Ciekawa strona, trafilem tu przypadkowo, ale od dzis bede wpadal czesciej, pozdro