Guardian 24,466 – Brummie

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

Another challenging puzzle which was also amusing due to the many cleverly crafted definitions

ACROSS
1 EMOTED (d) emoted (put lower down) IMO, the biggest luvvy is Sidney Poitier for over-acting and exaggerating every facial expression
5 HARD CORE dd worthy of Cyclops, the other alter ego
9 GLEE CLUB Cha of glee (joy) & club (hit)
#10 LEAGUE Le (French article) AGUE (more a fever than a disease)
11 NIGEL KENNEDY Rev of LEG (supporter) IN (elected) + Kennedy – Nigel Kennedy (born 1956, England) is a violinist and violist.
#13 YARD Very convoluted language used to indicate rev of DRAY (carrier)
14 TREE FROG Ins of REEF (key) in *(grot) – I love the misleading definition for this creature
17,18 IMPERIAL UNIT *(painters milieu minus SE) The six are marked # here
20 PREPUBESCENT Ins of E (Everest’s starting point) in P (parking) RE (on) PUB (local) SCENT (trail)
23 THIRST T (time) Hirst (Damien) English artist and leader of “Young British Artists” group)
24 OIL PAINT Ins of I in *(Plato in)
25 INCHOATE IN (at home) CHOCOLATE minus COL (pass)
26 THE WHO Ins of HEW (fashion) in THO (short for though) The Who are an English rock band formed in 1964. The primary lineup consisted of guitarist Pete Townshend, vocalist Roger Daltrey, bassist John Entwistle and drummer Keith Moon.

DOWN
#2 MILE (s) mile
3 TIE-AND-DYE *(any edited)
4 DELUGE Cha of D (day) E (7th letter of Whistler) LUGE (Winter Olympics event)
5 HUBBLE TELESCOPE HUB (centre) + Ins of L (large) in *(Beetle) SCOPE (range)
6 RELIEVED Ins of E (earth) in relived (conjured up memories)
#7 CHAIN C (cold) H (hot) *(in a)
8 ROUND ROBIN Cha of ROUND (about) ROBIN (bird) I didn’t know that those Christmas letters I get are also called thus
12 CARMARTHEN A very formulaic charade of CAR (banger) MART (selling place) HEN (just for women) for this Welsh town. Fortunately, the surface is slow
15 FLUCTUATE Ins of CTU *(cut) + A in FLUTE (wind instrument)
16 CIABATTA *(act a bit) + A – unleavened Italian white bread made with olive oil and flour, popular for its thick, soft centre.
19 ZEALOT In of EA (each) in ZLOT (y) Polish currency
#21 PERCH dd
#22 INCH ha

8 Responses to “Guardian 24,466 – Brummie”

1. Andrew says:

I got YARD for 13 ac, but I’m not convinced by the clue – it seems to indicate DRAY to me. I was thinking of a dray being a carrier of wallop=beer. Or is it something to do with “court aback” = “court at back of house” = “yard” (in the American sense).

Altogether quite a tough one, I thought, though it was fun to locate the Imperial units (is LEAGUE an I.U., strictly speaking?)

2. beermagnet says:

13A I think the “Wallop carrier” that Brummie means is the “Yard of ale”: (See Wikipedia “Yard (beer)”.)
    An appalling invention that typically results in a couple of pints going over your face and clothes. (I prefer to taste my beer.)

3. Andrew says:

Ah right, that meaning didn’t occur to me – makes more sense. Does this mean DRAY is a red herring?

mmm, beer…

4. John says:

In 13 ac I think the cluing is the wrong way round. It implies it’s the court (yard) that’s reversed, whereas it’s the wallop carrier (dray). I too thought of the yard of ale idea but then dray doesn’t chime with “court aback”. Clumsy clue.
    In 12 dn, why “just for women” rather than just “women”?
    Neither do I like “suitabel” as an anagram indicator in 15 dn.

5. John says:

Of course I meant “suitable”.

6. Andrew says:

John – a HEN night is an event “just for women”.

7. Geoff says:

13ac: I agree with John that ‘court’ = YARD and ‘wallop carrier’ = DRAY, and the clue seems to be the wrong way round.

8. Cruciverbophile says:

I’m a great fan of Brummie’s puzzles and this was no exception. I didn’t get IMPERIAL UNIT because like an idiot I put in “tie and DRY” instead of “tie and dye”. D’oh.

I agree with those who see 13 across as a mistake. It’s an easily made error – I’ve often got reversals the wrong way round as setter and solver. Yet again though, is there an editor in the house?