Independent 6814 by Punk

Posted by NealH on August 18th, 2008

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed

Some very tricky, well disguised clues today. Mostly very good, but I thought 6 down was taking things a bit too far.

8 Japanese lantern: very convoluted but I think it goes ja (yes, translated) + panes + elan + tern.
9 Peccadillo: Deck a pillow.
10 I’m pi
11 Lucrezia Borgia: z in (courage Blair I)*. It made the anagram a bit tricky if you assume “the ultimate” was an e.
15 Maenads: Mas around dane<.
20 Seismology: (goo messily)*.
22 For love nor money: norm one in (fool very)* + &lit.
1 Waterloo Station: water + loos + Tati + on.
2 Calcic: Cal + CI (Channel Islands) + c.
4 Reclaim: EC in R L + aim.
5 Razor blade: read* around l in Zorba.
6 St Mirren: T in S Mirren. I really object to clueing queen as Mirren. I know she did play the queen in a film, but that doesn’t make here the queen. Does that mean the next time we see “policeman”, we should think that the answer might be John Thaw because he played Inspector Morse ?
14 Cromwell: m in row in cell.
16 Affiant: Hidden. Easy enough to spot, but a new word on me.
18 Igloos: (so o l GI)<.

6 Responses to “Independent 6814 by Punk”

1. neildubya says:

My thoughts precisely on 6 and I also spent too much time on 11 assuming that “the ultimate” was E. Good puzzle though.

2. nmsindy says:

I found this very tough esp the top half. Checking was less than 50% in some cases also. Curiously, while I thought it very unusual, I thought MIRREN = queen was just about OK and it was the second clue I solved. She is very well known. I guess the setter could not resist trying to work in Queen of the South. Also, while I’ve not gone back to check, I think the film was called ‘Queen’ or something similar so maybe the John Thaw analogy would be taking it towards a further step of indirection.

3. Wil Ransome says:

I can’t see why 22ac is an &lit. It seems to be simply def. (‘ever’: a bit thin but OK I suppose) and then the wordplay. Surely the whole clue isn’t the def.?

Agree about 6dn. Just not good enough. The Queen isn’t Mirren, and quite apart from whether or not this is OK, S Mirren = Queen of the South is a big stretch.

4. Richard Palmer says:

I agree with Will. Also 15A is not & lit.
    I found this extremely hard going, especially the top half.

5. NealH says:

Cutting and pasting error on 15a. I’ve updated it.

6. GWEP says:

Not sure about second and third boxes.

I am in Adelaide, South Australia. We get the Independent crossword about three weeks after you – eg today is 10/09/08 and we have got 6814.

We are not provided with the setter’s name.

After completion (usually) I check website and enjoy comments, responses etc.

Eeven though some clues are easy, I believe the blogger should include all answers/explanations for the clues, not edit out those he or she thinks not worth bothering about.

Regards