Guardian 24,472/Logodaedalus

Posted by golgonooza on August 20th, 2008

golgonooza.

A fairly enjoyable puzzle. The wording of some of the clues seemed a little odd to me.

7 BANDAGES  BAND(AGE)S

9 OPORTO  O(PORT)O

10 SKIN  S+KIN = HIDE

11 ELEMENTARY  cryptic def. “Elementary my dear Watson”

12 BURNEY  YEN+RUB rev – Fanny Burney

14 TENDERED  TENDER+ED

15 TATTOO  dd

17 ODDEST  TOES* +DD inside

20 DROWNING  DR+OWNING

22 ASKING  AS+KING

23 PTARMIGANS  MRSTAGPAIN*

24 ARMY  (SM)ARMY

1 BANKRUPT  BA(NK)R+PUT*

2 ODIN  O+DIN  “Our Wednesday” because Odin or Woden is the god of that day. A bizarrely worded clue.

3 EGGERY  EG+GREY*

4 GOVERNED  GO(VERNE)D

5 BOTTLENECK  BOTTLE+NECK

6 STARVE  AVERTS*

8 SIESTA  TESSAI*

13 NOTEWORTHY  NOTE+WORTHY

16 ORIGINAL  OR(I+GIN)AL

18 TENEMENT  TENE(MEN)T

19 AGHAST  AG+HAS+T

22 ANSWER  ASWREN*

20 Responses to “Guardian 24,472/Logodaedalus”

21dn RA[TIN]G had me puzzled for ages. I was sure it must begin with RAT [TAR raised] but couldn’t find a word for fund. Nice misdirection – for me, anyway.

2. Mort says:

I can’t seem to work out the wordplay on the last two across clues. I have ‘din’ in treading, but can’t get the rest, and Anthea is a complete mystery to me. Assuming, of course, that these are the right answers! :)

3. Andrew says:

ANTHEA is not quite “Antheap”. That one had me confused for a while because it looks as if it could be a composite anagram involving “can’t reach”

I think 26ac may be a reference to the song “With Cat-like Tread” from “The Pirates of Penzance”.

25ac: ANTHEA – ‘flowery girl’ from Greek ‘anthos’, flower.

I thought the same as you, Andrew, about 26ac.

5. jvh says:

I assume the “bizarre wording” in 2D arises from the constraint of having rhyming clues.

6. Andrew says:

Hands up all those who didn’t notice the rhymes.. *puts own hand up sheepishly*

I’m with you again, Andrew!

8. Frances says:

To Jvh, we must be thick
    We didn’t see it. From Frances and Mick !

9. jvh says:

I didn’t notice till halfway through,
    so maybe I am stupid too.

10. golgonooza says:

Aha. That would be why some of the wording sounded odd! I noticed the first clue rhymed but didn’t think much more about it!

11. John says:

What is “mound” all about in 3dn?

12. GF Johnston says:

25 across: try (c)’ant hea(p)

13. GF Johnston says:

already have…………..sorry!

14. John says:

It’s the “mound” in 3 dn I don’t understand. “Perhaps” is I assume an anagram indicator for “grey”. (Unless it’s a clumsy pointer to “eg”.) But I can’t see “mound”. Anybody?
    All in all I found this puzzle irritatingly obscure. You shouldn’t have to be a G&S buff to solve a crossword IMO.

15. Andrew says:

The online version of 3 dn has “mould”, not “mound”, and I thought it was: “perhaps”=EG + “grey mould” = anagram of grey. There really is a mound in 23ac, where a “thrown up mound” is an ANT HEAP, which if you can’t reach it becomes ANTHEA.

16. Bogeyman says:

Like John, I found this puzzle irritating in places. I didn’t notice the rhymes until I read this blog, but looking back at it, I wonder why Logodaedalus bothered – the rhyming couplets don’t link the clues or the answers together as far as I can see; they just seem to have resulted in some very obscure wording of the clues.

17. Brendan says:

Also found this an irritating puzzle. The wife and I finished it, but with no sense of satisfaction or pleasure at working out a good clue. Thought he was pushing the boundaries and trying to be too clever by half. Rhyming couplets passed us by too, but it does at least explain some of the very strange wordings.

18. JimboNWUK says:

Another numpty who didn’t notice the rhyming
    Is here and agrees it was a ‘waste-of-timing’ (!!) :o)

OK, OK, Another Masefield I ain’t!

19. Peter says:

The fact it was all in iambic pentameter surely made it an incredible achievement

20. golgonooza says:

I found it a bit irritating to solve, but it must have been a real effort to create all rhyming clues. Was it worth it?