Guardian 24,479/Pasquale

Posted by golgonooza on August 28th, 2008

golgonooza.

Another great crossword from The Don. I find he pitches them just right for daily cryptics – this wasn’t really tough but did require switching on the rusty old brain cells for some very elegant clueing.

1 SCHEMA  S+CHEM+A

4 CIRCULAR  cryptic/double def.

9 OSCAR  O+SCAR

10 ARCHITECT  A+R(CH)ITE+CT  this took me a while to work out the wordplay, writing down all the possible combinations until something popped up!

11 DINING CAR  cryptic/double def.

12 SPAWN  S+PAWN  with ‘man’ being ‘pawn’

13 WAYS AND MEANS  SWAYEDMAN*+ANS  from Chambers: ” Committee of Ways and Means - the House of Commons sitting in the character of a committee to consider methods of raising money supplies”

17 STANDARD ROSE  sounds like past improvement

20 REPRO  REPRO(OF)

21 POINTLESS  cryptic def.

23 PANTALOON  PAN+TA(LOO)N  who was a character in Italian comedy, a feeble old man

24 TRAIN  to school is to train, and a train is also an alternative to a bus – I like this clue.

25 PULITZER  UP(rev)+LIT+ZER(O)

26 THETIS  THE+TIS  the memoir is ‘Tis” from Frank McCourt, the rather disappointing follow-up to Angela’s Ashes

1 SHOWDOWN  ie show the county, part of Ulster

2 HACKNEYS  HACK+NEYS (knees)

3 MORAN MO+RAN  Churchill’s doctor friend and confidant, which makes this an &lit!

5 INCARCERATION  IN+CAR(C)E+RATION  nicely misleading – the whole thing is porridge – slang for jail, under custody is ‘in care’ with fixed portion of food being ‘ration’ with a ‘c’ for cold in.

6 CRIMSONED  CRIM(SON)E+D

7 LEEWAY  L(WEErev)AY

8 RATING  RA(TIN)G

10 ACCIDENT-PRONE cryptic def

14 ASTRONAUT  UNTOASTAR*  another &lit

15 FOREPART  FOR(RAPErev)T

16 PEASANTS  P(EA+S)ANTS

18 TRIP UP cryptic/double def.

19 S(PIN)AL

12 Responses to “Guardian 24,479/Pasquale”

1. mhl says:

Goodness, I found this one rather difficult compared the the past week of dailies… Thanks for the blog on it – particularly the explanation of THETIS, which had me completely baffled.

I think the surface of 13 across is referring the committee of the same name in the US Congress, which is better known to fans of the West Wing, anyway ;)

There were lots of very satisfying clues in this puzzle… (TRAIN and INCARCERATION also particularly appealed to me.)

2. golgonooza says:

Of course, the Congress part refers to the American version, thanks for pointing that out mhl. I’ve never watched West Wing!

3. John says:

Crimsoned??

4. Geoff Moss says:

‘crimson’ as in ‘to blush’

5. John says:

Geoff: I think the reference is to having blood on one’s hands, but personally I’ve never seen crimson used in this way, i.e. to be crimsoned.

That was my first reaction, John, then somewhere in the back of the mind stirred the memory of ‘O’ Level Literature: ‘Signed in thy spoil and crimsoned in thy Lethe’ [Julius Caesar III i 75].

I found this one quite tough to begin with but much more satisfying than some recent puzzles. I knew 26 was THETIS and looked up Collins to see if there was such a word as “tis”. I found “’tis” – and still the penny didn’t drop! Thanks, Golgonooza – I’ve actually read the book but, as you say it’s [obviously!] less memorable than ‘Angela’s ashes’.

I liked 25ac and also 17ac, although I was looking for a homophone to begin with, because of ‘report suggesting’. Am I missing something? [I think there should be an acronym for this - we use it so often - but AIMS would be a bit confusing.]

7. Geoff Moss says:

John

I originally thought the boy must have ‘blushed with shame’ but on revisiting the clue I can see that you have a valid point regarding the hand becoming red.

8. jvh says:

I agree with Eileen — I too was looking for a homophone. golgonooza say “sounds like past improvement” but why “sounds like”?

In 23A, another meaning for pantaloon is a buffoon in pantomimes, the butt of a clown’s jokes.

9. John says:

Could it be school report?

10. golgonooza says:

Jvh: Standard Rose is a sort of homophone where the words are the same but they have two meanings; you could say “last year the standard rose” if you were talking about improvement in the past, and obviously it also is a type of Rose. As a teacher this is the sort of thing I might well find myself saying!

11. jvh says:

Thanks. I like John’s school report suggestion. I was taking “report” to mean different words could sound the same.

Golgonooza – as one [ex] teacher to another, I totally agree with what one might [hope to] say! However, although Collins defines a homophone as ‘one of a group of words pronounced in the same way but differing in meaning OR spelling’, I would have thought that, in general usage, and on this site in particular, the latter definition, i.e spelling, is more usual eg ‘standard rose / rows’ Wouldn’t this solution be more normally defined as a double definition? The presence of both ‘report’ and ‘suggesting’ did definitely lead me towards a ‘sounds like’! [I'm beginning to wonder if either word was strictly necessary, especially in view of the question mark!]