Independent 6823/Nimrod

Posted by neildubya on August 28th, 2008

neildubya.

Something of a rarity for me: a Nimrod puzzle where I understand every clue!

1 (FILM DUO AT)* in SIGHT – STADIUM OF LIGHT. Quite a tricky one to parse: “originally directing” is the anagrind and “now visible” is a cryptic indicator for “in SIGHT”. The stadium itself is the home of Sunderland AFC.
9 (MIRACLE)* – RECLAIM.
11 E,STA(MINE)TS – one of those words I only know because of crosswords.
13 [-d]AC,ME
16 (ROUGH INSENSIBLE)* – NEIGHBOURLINESS. I took a guess that this would end with -NESS and eventually saw NEIGHBOUR.
18 (RAN OVER A ONE A SIX)* – ANOREXIA NERVOSA. Very Nimrod: “steamroller” as the anagram indicator and “full stretch” indicating turning “A1 and A6″ into A ONE and A SIX.
19 AMY,L – Amy is one of the Little Women in the novel by Louisa May Alcott.
20 SE(TINS)T,ONE
23 M(R,R)IGHT – the answer at 5 is FIRST PRINCIPLES (the 3 Rs).
25 LIP BALM – clever cryptic def which I think refers to the “film” that might cover a tin of LIP BALM, which of course prevents chapping.
27 (BAGHDAD WANTS AN)* – HANDBAGS AT DAWN. Great phrase, and a misleading anagram.

1 SERGE,AN,TATAR,MS
2 A,SCOT – one of the races at ASCOT on “Diamond Day” is the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes.
3 IDA – “Princess Ida” is a Gilbert and Sullivan opera and A DI was another princess.
4 (OF TIME IN A MERTON)* – MOMENT OF INERTIA. The last but one to go in so I had most of the checking letters in place, which meant I could guess this. Here’s the full definition from Chambers Online dictionary: “in mechanics: the notion that, for a rotating object, the turning force required to make it turn faster depends on the way in which the object’s mass is distributed about the axis of rotation.”
5 see 23
6 A,[-t]WO,I (going up)
12 H,L in REAM (going up)
15 SIR,GIT (going up) – “banker” is a bit of a crossword cliche but it works well in the surface reading.
21 OS[AKA for LO]
26 POT – I think this is a triple def: “drug”, “ruin” (as in, “it’s all gone to pot”), and the rest is a cryptic def with a reference to Alex “Hurricane” Higgins, the snooker player.

12 Responses to “Independent 6823/Nimrod”

1. Ali says:

I really enjoyed this, probably because I actually managed to get through it without too much trouble (an equal rarity for me too – I usually have issues with Nimrod!)

The LIP BALM clue is absolutely inspired. I took ‘feature film’ to refer to the actual balm itself though, i.e the film that covers your lips when you put it on.

2. Al Streatfield says:

… ” “full stretch” indicating turning “A1 and A6″ into A ONE and A SIX ” …

I’m afraid my reaction to that is “er, what?” rather than “of course, I should have got that”…

3. Richard Palmer says:

I agree that this was much easier than your usual Nimrod.
    Both the setter and the blogger have problems defining moment of inertia, which is the rotational equivalent of mass. It is not a ‘notion’ but a real physical quantity. Insofar as ‘The power still’ means anything, it suggests the power of an object at rest. The M of I is certainly not a power and it is a quantity that a body possesses whether it is moving or not, though it is only relevant when the body is rotating.

4. neildubya says:

That’s not my definition – that’s straight from Chambers.

5. neildubya says:

Re Al’s point – me too. I would never have got it from the wordplay. I got the answer by looking at the letters I already had filled in and worked back from there. Even when I had the answer it still took a while to work out how to arrive at it.

6. nmsindy says:

My Chambers (2006) has a definition much closer to what Richard Palmer is saying “A quantity representing the resistance of a body to a force that causes it to rotate about its axis”

7. Mick H says:

Thanks for explaining A1 and A6. I thought LIP BALM was a beaut, and loved the Baghdad anagram too.

8. Geoff Moss says:

4d COED is even more concise (no pun intended):

“a quantity expressing a body’s tendency to resist angular acceleration”

9. conradcork says:

Minor niggle about 15. ‘Git’ is more insult or disprespect than reproach, surely?

10. Pat says:

I also enjoyed this. Very well blogged, too. It seems I was the only one who fell into the trap of putting “aged” for 22d before settling on “egad”.

11. NealH says:

What was the explanation of 24 dn, RIA ? I’m assuming it was one of the Simpsons (Marge, Homer or Bart) removed from a word for wine. Unfortunately, I’m useless on wines – I hardly ever drink the stuff, being something of a beer purist. Margeria sounded plausible, but can’t find it listed anywhere.

12. Geoff Moss says: