Independent 6824 by Phi

Posted by nmsindy on August 29th, 2008

nmsindy.

Typical Phi crossword in which everything stacks up.   Solving time, 16 mins.

* = anagram < = reversed

ACROSS

1 LES (MISERABLE) S    By Victor Hugo

8 COD A   Musical term for end of a piece

9 T ERRA FIRMA   (air farmer)*   from Latin

10 BAN TAM(e)    My last entry

12 YEOMANR Y  (army one)* y = year   with an &lit touch also

13 NORTH SEA  (The sonar)*

15 SP (I R) AL   laps<  r = run (cricket)

16 MET RIC(e)

18 MAST E(a)RLY

20 SCO (OP NE) T   (open)*

21 (s)LAVISH

23 ENG I N (E ROOM)    Moore<   (George Edward)

24 STYX   River from Greek mythology – I guessed this when I’d the crossing letters.  This blogger is unfamiliar with Pooh by AA Milne but Wikipedia tells me there was a game “Poohsticks” i.e. so STYX = “sticks”

25 EYELESS IN GAZA   (seeing a sleazy)*    by Aldous Huxley

DOWN

1 LEO   hidden

2 S H (first letters) AFT

3 IS TH (M) US   Very easy definition

4 EARLY DAY (MOTION) S

5 AT A LOSS    My favourite clue

6 LAID A SIDE   dial<

7 SOMERSAULTS   (also musters)*

12 ADOLESCENCE    C in A DOLE SCENE !

14 T (ERROR) ISE   (site)*

17 CONCEDE    Very well hidden

19 SOLO M ON(e)

22 VIS (T) A

25 YEA (r)   R = runs (cricket) but no repetition with 15 as here the word in the clue is in the plural.

6 Responses to “Independent 6824 by Phi”

1. Richard Palmer says:

Never mind dumbing down of A-levels and GCSEs. If people are leaving primary school without having heard of Poohsticks things really are bad.

2. Colin Blackburn says:

The blogger may not have attended an English primary school!
    I admit to working out EYELESS IN GAZA because I know it as the name of an early eighties band rather than a novel, guessing that the band as named after something else.

3. nmsindy says:

Being of a certain age, I knew the novel, but it too is named after something else – a passage in Milton’s Samson Agonistes.

4. Richard Palmer says:

Eyeless in Gaza is from an older and better-known work than that – the Old Testament

5. beermagnet says:

Being of a certain age, and not being eyeless myself at the time (an early 80s stag night), I can never see the title of Aldous H’s novel without recalling Paul Raymond’s version – Braless in Gaza

I’ll get my long dirty mac.

6. nmsindy says:

Re comments at 1 (very amusing, Richard!) and 2, I can confirm that this blogger did not attend an English primary school!