Guardian 24,482 – Rufus

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

As usual, Rufus showed his forte, the craft of writing clues, smooth and slick. Only complaint is that it’s too easy; so the fun and pleasure are short-lived.

5 WOODEN Cha of WOO (court) DEN (room)
6 ZEBRAS cd
9 CLERKS cd
10 MEPHISTO cd of the devil from Faust
11 YOKE Ins of OK in YE (the old)
12 SPLIT HAIRS *(parish list)
13 ALTERCATION *(action later)
18 CHEESECAKE dd
21 EVEN (t)
22 SLAP-BANG slap (rev pals) bang (report)
23 DOTAGE Ins of TAG (attachment) in DOE, a deer, a female deer
24 SCOTCH dd
25 BANKER cd

1 DOORBELL cd
2 VERSUS cd
3 KEEP AT IT keep a tit
4 TROIKA cd, a troika is indeed a carriage drawn by three horses
5 WALLOP dd slang for beer
7 SATIRE *(it’s a) + RE (concerning)
8 SMALL CHARGE What a smooth dd
14 ELEGANCE Cha of E (east, point) LEG (member) *(cane) Somehow, the surface would have been perfect if twiddling were replaced by twirling
15 OVERTAKE Over (completed) Take (snap a picture)
16 SHELLS cd
17 LEDGER Ins of EDGE (margin) in L & R
19 EMPLOY dd
20 ENDEAR end (conclude) EAR (feature)

7 Responses to “Guardian 24,482 – Rufus”

10ac, is also an anagram of ‘poem this’ and ‘Mephisto’ is a poem, so it’s a great &lit.

2. Berny says:

I wasn’t happy with somewhat ‘loose’ clues used in top left hand corner – 1D, 2D and 9A

Those are all typical Rufus clues and I thought they were clever.

I was less happy with 15dn, where ‘over’ appears in both the clue and the solution.

4. Dave says:

I was thinking BACKER rather than BANKER for 25A.

5. owenjonesuk says:

I had BACKER for 25A as well. I think it fits the clue better than BANKER.

I liked 1D but 2D and 9A were barely cryptic, to my mind. I guess with cryptic definitions it all depends on how you read the clue in the first place. 15D having ‘over’ in the clue and the answer was also a bit weak. Having said all this, there were some clues I really liked and I know that not long ago I was grateful to have an easier crossword once a week so I could get any clues, and normally Rufus does a pretty good job of making the clues easy but still enjoyable for the rest of us.

6. Rufus says:

Sorry Uncle Yap, but I can only repeat what I have said before on this site. The Guardian and FT (both from 1981) and Telegraph (1986) request that my Monday crosswords are easy ones and we have arrived at an agreed standard. Visitors to this site, I suggest, are the more experienced and keen solvers who may find them too easy. The crossword editors are aiming for those readers starting out and use the Monday puzzles to get confidence before solving more difficult crosswords. As a jobbing setter I should like to keep working so feel I need to keep to the criteria they request. I do make the effort to make them entertaining and to read well but I know I am limited!

7. Henri says:

I am fully in agreement with Rufus. I buy The Guardian on Mondays specifically for the Rufus crossword as I know it is the only Guardian crossword I’ll be able to solve!