Independent 6826 by Math

Posted by NealH on September 1st, 2008

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed

A varied puzzle with some interesting clues, including one or two I didn’t fully understand.

7 Goal: I think this is gal around o, indicating hungry in an extremely cryptic way i.e. nothing inside her.
8 Icebreaker: “That is a vessel in which the heart of arctic region is split apart”. It may just be cryptic, but the use of the word “heart” would imply some sort of wordplay. If so, I don’t quite see it.
10 Papers: PA P[i]ers.
11 Trotters: double def.
12 Free bees
14 Barrel: bar + re + l.
15 Dabs: bad< + s.
17 Class: initial letters.
18 Test: T[-square] and set[ square] reversed.
19 Welter: w + el + [but]ter.
21 Paste-ups: pa steps around u.
24 Migraine: Maine around i GR. Good deception with “head” and “of state” referring to different parts of the clue.
26 Slaver: Saver around l.
27 Nationwide: Nat + (wine do I)*. Ref to Nat King Cole rather than the old English king.
28 Elan: Hidden.
1 Mohair: Mo + homophone of hare.
2 Clueless: Exactly that.
3 Tissue: ‘Tis Sue (Townsend), who wrote the Secret Diary of Adrian Mole.
4 Deft: Fed< + t.
5 Bart[end]er
6 Peerless: Peeress around l.
9 Rhombus: I didn’t completely get this – “One dropped first class return on public transport … and a lozenge”. I don’t follow the “One dropped first class return” for rhom. It appears to be a word for first class where you drop i or a and then reverse it.
13 Scamp: S + camp. I’m so used to sun being sol rather than s that I was convinced for a long time it must be something like solpi or solus.
16 American: Amen around r + cia*.
17 Carrion: Carr + i + on. Jimmy Carr is a comedian.
18 Teenager: Another of those that might just be a cryptic definition, but leaves you wondering whether you’ve missed something. “One that has made it past 12:20 is something to look forward to”. Obviously, “one that has made it past 12″ = teenager. Is there any more meaning in the second part other than that a teenager might look forward to being 20 ?
20 Turbid: Brut< + i d.
22 System:  Sy + stem.
23 Prepay: Prep + ay.
25 Exit: E + XI + t.

7 Responses to “Independent 6826 by Math”

1. Geoff Moss says:

8a anagram of [arct]IC RE[gion] and BEAKER (vessel)

9d MOH[ai)R reversed – ‘one’ meaning the answer to 1d with ‘a1′ (first class) removed

2. nmsindy says:

TEENAGER 20 is the other end!

3. nmsindy says:

This was a very tough puzzle, with some great misdirection, very satisfying to get it all in the end, but took much longer than usual. Agree with all the explanations above, though it took me quite a while to see the 20 in TEENAGER, which, sorry NealH, I missed on first reading your blog. I thought it was very clever to divide 12/20 with the :

4. Al Streatfield says:

8a is a great & lit. clue. I’m not sure Geoff is entirely right. I parsed it as: I.E. (that is) BEAKER round (arcti)C R(egion) “split apart”, in other words, the C and the R appear in different parts of the word.

Didn’t like 9d for several reasons, the main one being that it used “one”, rather than “1”, to refer to the answer at 1d…

The PEERLESS clue is excellent. “Lady holding lid of lighter (not having a match)”

5. Colin Blackburn says:

28a could also be read as an anagram of ‘lane’. I think ‘through’ works in both readings.

6. Wil Ransome says:

8ac: I think Al Streatfield is right, otherwise why would he have said “That is”?

28ac: I think it’s an anagram; at first I thought it was a hidden, but ‘through’ seems to me to be a rather dodgy hidden indicator.

1dn: Why ‘had’ not ‘has’? There seems to be no reason to put it in the past tense.

18dn: To be ultra-picky, it is unsatisfactory because in one reading it needs to be ’12:20′ and in the other ’12: 20′.

7. Simon says:

Hated this one, it was just so gimmicky and “clever”. I just found it annoying, but I’ll certainly doff my hat to NealH for getting through it.