Guardian 24,484 – Araucaria

Posted by Ciaran McNulty on September 3rd, 2008

Ciaran McNulty.

As is often with Araucaria, something of a challenge but satisfying to solve.  I guessed the long linked clue starting at 7D fairly early from the pattern of ‘inherit’ which gave a lot of handy checking letters to power through the rest.

14A was especially challenging but luckily I recently spent a weekend in Honiton so was aware of Beer from the map!

* = anagram
“” = homophone
(lowercase) = removed
(UPPERCASE) = inserted

1. INDOMITABLE. IN + DOMI(cile) + TABLE.
9. LE HAVRE. L(EH)AV + RE.
10. ESCAPER. E,S+CAPER. Caper for ‘skip’ was one I didn’t spot easily.
11. STRESSFUL. STRESS + FLU*.
12. PARSI. PARSIMONY – most of MONEY.
13. EATS. Initials of Eggs And Toasted Sandwiches.
14. BRANSCOMBE. BRANS + CO + MBE.  Town in Devon near a town called Beer.  When a horse refuses to take a jump it ‘brans’.
16. ABHORRENCE. CARBONHERE*.
19. INCH. Double meaning, scots word for a small coastal island.
20. EMEND. Double meaning, ‘edit’ and also ‘without errors’.
23. HORMONE. “Whore moan”, a bit rude!
24. POITIER. Film star, Poitiers was the battle.
25. HOLD THE FORT. H + OLD + THEF(OR)T.

2. DIVES. Latin for ‘rich man’, also in the parable of Dives and Lazarus.
4. THE GLEN. In the online edition this is marked as (7) but must be (3,4).  Monarch of the Glen is a Landseer painting + partial alagram of LENGTHENED?
5. BACKPACK. BACK + PACK.
6. EXPERIMENTALIST. EX(PERI + MENTAL)IST.  A Peri is an Arabic fairy.
7,3,21,1. BLESSED ARE THE MEEK FOR THEY SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.  I haven’t completely explained it: B(LESS)ED + A + RE(THEME)EK + [FORTHEYSHALLIN?] + HER + IT + THEE ART + H.  Explanations of the middle section would be welcome.
8. PRAISE THE LORD caPRA IS ETHEL OR Dora.
15. CRUDE OIL. CLOUDIER*
17. ENTREAT. (h)EN + TREAT.
18. CREEPIE. CREE + PIE.
19. SLIGO. S + L + I GO. County in Ireland.

25 Responses to “Guardian 24,484 – Araucaria”

1. Andrew says:

FORTHEYSHALLIN is FORTH (out) YE (you must back) SH (call for silence) ALL IN (exhausted).

2. mhl says:

Lots of fun today, I thought, and not too difficult – 7,3,21,1 was quite guessable just from A_E in the second word and the start of the clue.

3. Geoff Moss says:

4d “+ partial anagram of LENGTHENED?”

THE GLEN and ‘end’ (part of clue) ‘could be’ (is an anagram of) ‘lengthened’

I had a couple of different interpretations here. I knew Branscombe and so didn’t need to look anything up and so took bran[s] as being the refuse[s] from cereal. [Thought it was stretching it a bit - even for Araucaria!]

And I didn’t know [and can't find] the second meaning of ‘emend’ and read it as being hidden in trEMENDous.

I thought the oblique reference to Elsie and Doris Waters in 8dn was brilliant! I remember them from my childhood as a comedy duo, Gert and Daisy, on the radio. They were the sisters of Jack Warner [Dixon of Dock Green].

5. Ciaran McNulty says:

Andrew – Aha, thank you for the explanation!

Eileen – I hadn’t even spotted Emend hiding there in Tremendous! I think your reasoning is far more likely.

So does the print edition give 4D as 4,3?

6. Steppenwolfe says:

No wonder I couldn’t get 4 down! I got the reference about ‘monach of the Glen’, but couldn’t figure it because the answer was (7) – Good old ‘Gruaniad’ typo gremlin at work again obviously!

7. Harris says:

Liked Poitier and Le Havre, wasn’t so keen on the rather coarse hormone. The enumeration typo meant we couldn’t finish it. Still, as we’re nowhere near a newsagent selling UK papers, we were very grateful for the chance to print this off for free!

8. Mick h says:

What’s a CREEPIE (18dn)?

A creepie is a traditional Orkney milking stool [with thanks to Google].

10. don says:

4D The version in the paper also indicated the solution should have seven letters, rather than (3,4).

‘Takes plunges’ for ‘dives’ was guessably obvious, ond pam mae pawb yn defnyddio Lladin – ‘vir’, ‘versus’, ‘dives’? I took biology
    instead :-

11. John says:

Apart from the number of letters issue, surely 4 dn is faulty in that the “s” after “monarchy” implies that “the glen’s” plus “end” could be “lengthened”?
    “Landseer’s monarchy ( i.e.the glen) end could be lengthened” would be more accurate.

12. John says:

P.S. Who else knew “bran” meant to refuse. I can’t find it anywhere.

13. Geoff Moss says:

John

I don’t know where Ciaran got his ‘horse’ reference from, but one of Chambers’ definitions for ‘bran’ is – ‘the coarser part or refuse of anything’.

So I could have been right after all!

15. harry says:

re nothing at all – to continue the Scottish sub-theme (4, 18) – the fairy character, Fairy Nuff, in the Bud Neill’s magnificent Lobey Dosser strip was always referred to as a “tackety-booted peri”.

16. John says:

So I’ve been eating All Refuse all this time thinking it was good for me…

Harry – I’d always thought a peri was a Scottish fairy – but I see from Collind and OED that it is, indeed, Persian. . Our friends had a sheltie called Peri: they maintained that in Scotland shelties are called ‘peri dogs’.

Of course, I meant ‘Collins’.

19. Brendan says:

Bit peed off with 4D as we had got the rest but did not think, silly me, that a clue given as (7) is actually (3,4). It is complicated enough as is without this addition!

20. davey b says:

This crossword was completely spoiled for me, the answer “Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.” was blogged in yesterdays responses to Gordius.Please desist.

21. mark says:

Couple of queries; I’d be grateful for clarification.

9A In LE HAVRE where does the EH come from?

17D How does “to party” = TREAT?

4D This is the kind of clue (and Grauniad typo) that makes me think I should take up happy slapping or some less cerebral pursuit.

22. Shed says:

Eh? What did you say?

23. mark says:

Ah yes, thanks Shed.

But treat = party??

I’m thinking of politics negotiations and nice things but none fit both unless party is a verb as well as a noun meaning to negotiate?

24. Andrew says:

Chambers gives treat = “[noun] a free entertainment, pleasure excursion or feast”. I vaguely remember seeing expressions such as “Christmas treat” used to mean a children’s party.

25. Roy says:

Agree comments re 4D. Crossword was printed in today’s(Oct. 11th) Brisbane’s Courier-Mail and we were asked for a (7) word. Only the anagram of “the glen” + “end” = lengthened gave the solve.

Roy.