Guardian 24,485 – Chifonie

Posted by manehi on September 4th, 2008

manehi.

Easier than usual from Chifonie.

8 ORNAMENT OR NAME NT (New Testament)
9 EBONY E BONY
11 LIBERATION LIBATION around ER
12 ASHRAM A SH RAM – a Hindu hermitage
14 LORRAINE LORE around RAIN
17 SHRIVER Is a confessor – banker=RIVER, but how does used=SH? Second Hand, thanks to Geoff
20 ADAMS ALE AD A M SALE
22 RIGGER [t]RIGGER
23 TINSELTOWN (let Winston)*
24 DEAL can be a softwood, and also handle in the sense of deal with.
25 GLEAN G LEAN
26 SCARFACE SCARF ACE. Heh.
1 TRAVESTY TRY=go, around A VEST
3 BEDLAM BED LAM
5 PETRARCH rev(ART) in PERCH
6 BOAT RACING BOA TRACING
7 TYCOON (COY)* in the middle, but I don’t get the rest
13 RINGMASTER RING M ASTER. Is M the biblical abbreviation for Mark?
18 ELEGANCE E LEG (=on, in the cricket sense) AN CE
19 REMORSE RE=touching in the sense of concerning, I think, MORSE the inventor
21 DOINGS DO (sign)*
22 RUNWAY RUN[a]WAY
24 DAFT D AFT

20 Responses to “Guardian 24,485 – Chifonie”

1. Geoff Moss says:

17a SH = second hand = used

2. Steppenwolfe says:

Did anyone get 2 Down? Managed the rest of it, but just can’t get the sense of this one

3. Geoff Moss says:

2d ‘vain’ = worthless. Homophone of ‘vein’ = mineral seam.

4. manehi says:

2dn = VAIN, homophone of VEIN

Edit: sorry Geoff.

PS with solutions now freely available on the guardian site (I assume, I am still logged in), is it still worth omitting answers?

5. Steppenwolfe says:

just been given the answer to 2 down by my colleague sitting next to me ‘VAIN’ (in case anyone else needs it)

6. Testy says:

9A “spare”=BONY??

7. C G Rishikesh says:

In 17 ac, used = secondhand – SH (The abbreviation is probably used in classified ads)

8. C G Rishikesh says:

Geoff, sorry for the repetition in explanation.

We read the blog and then we notice the question. We then think and frame an answer in our mind. We also see “No comments” and click on it to provide our response. But, alas, meanwhile we have been anticipated!

Lesson that I have learnt: After having stayed on the page even for a few moments, refesh it to see if a comment has appeared in those seonds that ticked by!

9. Geoff Moss says:

Testy

‘spare’ and ‘bony’ as in ‘thin’

10. C G Rishikesh says:

The expression “He is of spare frame” occurred to me.

The lesson that I learnt above – of refreshing the page and scanning the comments – saved me from a mere repetition!

11. C G Rishikesh says:

M is prob. from Mark as in Deutsche Mark.

12. mhl says:

Manehi, in 13d I think M for “Mark” refers to the German currency.

In 7d, TON is “fashion; people of fashion” according to Chambers, from the French. (This is fairly common in crosswords, I think – at least I’ve seen it a couple of times before.)

13. John says:

I get fed up with the increasing use of an initial letter for just about any word. “M” isn’t short for deutschmark, DM is.
    And though I solved it, since when is a river a banker? OK it has banks, but so does a high street. And a lane has hedges, but does that make it a hedger?
    All in all this has a few examples of setter trying to stretch cryptics too far; examples
    – marketing = sale?
    – lean = rest?

14. Paul G says:

So can anyone explain 7 down then?

15. Andrew says:

7dn is COY* in TON (see comment 12)

16. Paul G says:

Thanks ;)

17. Chris says:

Banker = river, butter = goat, etc.

These are standard (mildly amusing) diversionary tactics used by composers – just get used to it…

18. smutchin says:

chris, they might have been mildly amusing once but now they are cliches.

19. Paul B says:

Crosswordese is cliche, and it’s how it’s used that makes for a good or indifferent, ah solving experience. So if ‘banker’ or ‘flower’ can contribute to a real humdinger of a misleading surface, I’m all for it.

20. Shed says:

They may be cliches, but at least rivers do flow and goats do butt. But rivers don’t bank.