Independent 6,829

Posted by Ali on September 4th, 2008

Ali.

I solved this online last night and haven’t seen the paper today, so not sure of the setter I’m afraid. There’s an interesting, entertaining mix of clues – some easy, some harder and some I won’t fully understand until somebody explains them below. So, all in all, everything you’d want from a good Thursday crossword! I’ll take a punt and guess it’s Punk.

1 ANALGESIA – (ALES AGAIN)*
6 MOTET – MO,TET – TET for ‘offensive’ is classic crossword stuff (insofar as I always forget to think of it!)
9 A LA MODE – ALAMO,DE – ‘What’s never forgotten in Texas’ is very, very nice. Clue of the day for me
10 INGRATE – IN,GRATE
11 ONAMATOPAEIA – ON A MAT is the judo part, but not sure where the rest comes from here
14 ALIBI – ALI,BI(sexual) – Nice surface reading
15 ORIENTEER – ORIENT,EER – You could argue that ‘Lower League’ is completely unneccesary here of course, but that would deny the setter (and, just maybe, editor) the opportunity to take a swipe at the fact that Leyton Orient are not a top-flight team!!
17 BOLLYWOOD – (DOLL,[-c]OWBOY)*
19 SPECTROGRAPH – R in (POP CHARTS,EG)
24 IMITATE – IT in [-pr]IMATE
25 SITAR – I in STAR
26 EIGHTSOME – EIGHTS,O,ME

1 AGAS – A,GAS – An easy one for me as I grew up with an Aga cooker. Mighty fine they are too
3 GROUND IVY – ROUND IV (i.e. the fourth set of questions) in GY
4 STEAM LOCOMOTIVE – (COAL ITS TO MOVE ME)* – A nice anag. & lit., dealt with in a similar way in a recent puzzle
5 ALISTAIR DARLING - R in (RAIDS TILL AGAIN)* – Took me a while to get this, despite my name being in the answer!
6 MUG UP – I can’t work this one at all. Any ideas?
7 TRACEY EMIN – (NICE,[-pric]E,MY,ART)* – Another nice anag. &lit.
8 THE FAIRER SEX – I,R in THE FA’S,EX
9 DAM BUSTERS – A,MB in DUSTERS
13 FIELD EVENT – FIELD,EVEN,T
16 NEWSPRINT – NEW,SPRINT
20 TRIER – A nice double def
22 PEKE – “Peak”

11 Responses to “Independent 6,829”

1. neildubya says:

The setter is Merlin.

6 – Arabic is a type of GUM which is mug (going up). Can’t help with 11 though.

Thoroughly enjoyable puzzle, as always from Merlin.

2. petero says:

6D: mug up is gum (Arabic)

3. beermagnet says:

11A I suggest homophone APPEAR for the POEIA part from “show” in the clue

I marked 23A as my favourite clue when I got it: (I,T[r]IREME)<

4. Geoff Moss says:

11a The correct spelling is ‘onomatopoeia’, not ‘ona…..’. I was going to suggest ‘on a mat appear’ as a somewhat loose homophone but Beermagnet has beaten me to it.

5. Ali says:

I thought my spelling at 11A looked dodgy, but having completely missed the fact that it was a homophone, presumed it was right. It also appears that you get the ‘Congratulations’ message online regardless of how you fill in the answers!

6. Testy says:

Can anyone explain 21D?

7. Geoff Moss says:

Testy

HALO[gen] – gen (low down) removed from halogen (a type of light)

8. Al Streatfield says:

21d is also an excellent & lit. clue in my opinion (HALO being a source of light that appears high-up rather than low-down)

9. Mick H says:

So I finished breakfast, took a couple of paracetamols, still feeling a bit delicate, sat down to the crossword and stared at 1 Across: “Senselessness having drunk ales again”.
    How did Merlin know?

10. nmsindy says:

This was a brilliant puzzle, I thought, full of &lit touches, with some cleverly cloaked definitions. Thank you, Merlin. I too read HALO as Al Streatfield did in comment 8 above.

11. Richard Heald says:

Excellent as usual from Merlin, although I’m slightly perturbed that in the ONOMATOPOEIA clue the definition seems to be doing double duty as the homophone indicator.