Guardian 24,481 (Sat 30 Aug)/Paul – How very dare you

Posted by rightback on September 6th, 2008

rightback.

Solving time: 8:30

The usual excellent stuff from Paul. There was some discussion in last week’s blog about rule-bending and so forth, with Paul being mentioned, but the difference between Paul and Araucaria is that I would struggle to find a clue in this puzzle where the grammar of the cryptic reading isn’t absolutely sound, even if a couple of the surface readings are a bit dubious.

There were a couple of mini-themes in this, ‘whiter than white’/’beyond the pale’ and ‘Catherine Tate’/’Are you disrespecting me?’. Not having a telly these days I can’t really offer an opinion on Catherine Tate’s sketch show (I would use YouTube to catch up but my computer’s sound is still broken!), but I’m sure it isn’t half as funny as either Harry Enfield & Chums or The Fast Show.

Music of the day: Difficult with no sound, but I’ll try to provide a link anyway – thanks to 3/23 and 7/25 it has to be A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procul Harum.

* = anagram, “X” = sounds like ‘X’.

9/20 CATHERINE TATE; (HER + IN + E.T. + ATE) after CAT (= ‘prowler’)
10 APHID; A, + I in Ph.D
11 FAD + E,O,U,T – wasted time here with ‘tone out’, which fit the wordplay but was clearly wrong.
12 IN + E.R. + TIA – ‘tia’ is Spanish for ‘aunt’, hence ‘relative overseas’, which might be considered obscure except for the drink ‘Tia Maria’.
13 O + VOID
14 CORK’S CREW – very elegant.
19 DIALECTAL; (ALL I ACTED)*
21 [m]ORRIS – I think the floral pattern designer is William Morris. Needless to say, I didn’t know this! This was my last entry.
22 TOENAIL; rev. of NEO in TAIL
24 T(R)OLL – a nice allusion to the Hobbit.
1 SCAFFOLDED; rev. of OFF in SCALDED – cleverly worded, with ‘gone’ = OFF difficult to pick out; it looked much more likely that the word being reversed was a synonym for ‘building’, with ‘With support for’ being the definition.
2 STUD + IO + US – another very good surface. Io is a moon of Jupiter.
3/23 BEYOND THE PALE – cf 7/25.
4 MINT (double defn)
5 REC + I + PRO + CAL
6 WATERSKI; W + A + TERS[e] + KI[p] – I liked the definition (‘Skim the surface’) but was surprised this wasn’t given as (5-3), and I’m not sure what the surface is supposed to mean.
7 WHITER THAN WHITE; (WHAT WITH NEITHER)* – excellent anagram.
8 [h]IDE + A
14 C(A + PIT)U + LATE
15 WHENSOEVER; (NOW HE VEERS)* – another subtlety, requiring ‘now’ to be split from the apparent definition ‘Any time now’.
17 EYEBALLS; “I” + BALLS (= ‘pluck’) – a bit Private Eye!
18 G + ER(MAN)IC – my second-last entry, and it took a while to see: the initial capital trick (referring here to comedian Eric Idle) fooled me once again.
20/16 ARE YOU DISRESPECTING ME?; (RECOGNISES RUDE TYPE + AM I)* – fabulous anagram, but too well disguised for me – I solved this from the ‘bovvered?’ hint and the checking letters.
21 ONE-TWO (double defn) – ‘Passing’ is very subtle, and probably bemusing for non-sports fans. I think the other reference is to a microphone test. [Er, no - see comments.]
23 TRAP; rev. of PART

10 Responses to “Guardian 24,481 (Sat 30 Aug)/Paul – How very dare you”

1. Comfy Settee says:

Nice blog Rightback. ORRIS was my last entry too – hadn’t heard of it, and didn’t know any floral designers either, so took some digging.

You’re not missing much with Catherine Tate’s show. Nan and her “am I bovvered” teenager are mildly amusing, the rest is pretty uninspired. And she wasn’t great in Doctor Who either. Sorry Catherine, if you read this!

“1dn is a hidden ‘word’: radiO NETWOrk -it took me a while to see it!

Sorry, meant 21dn, of course

4. rightback says:

Dunce’s cap now being sported – thanks Eileen!

But it was quite amazingly well-hidden, wasn’t it? Another excellent puzzle and a great blog. Thanks.

6. Harris says:

Enjoyed this one a lot. Anagram for 20/16 was way harder than the none-too difficult answer, but nae mind. Water-ski was last to go in, largely because of its questionable enumeration.

7. Dave Ellison says:

I don’t have the clue any more, but couldn’t 21d also be a microphone test? That’s the way I read it too.

8:30 wow! How do you do it? (I assume it’s not 8 hours 30, is it!) :)

8. mhl says:

Thanks for the post on this – I didn’t spot the anagram in 20,16 at all (although as people have said, it was quite solvable without that.) I’m sorry I missed that, since “bovvered” as an anagram indicator is marvellous :)

18d – yuck!

With regard to the remarkable solving times of the bloggers here, I should start posting some of mine for general amusement / ridicule, if that would help… :)

9. Dave D says:

Very late response, but I took the surface in 6dn to be a snooker reference – if the “nap” on the baize is short, the balls might “skim the surface”. Quite enjoyed it as a clue, actually.

10. rightback says:

Yes, that makes sense – thanks Dave.