Guardian 24,489 – Orlando

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

A very entertaining puzzle with some challenging clues, lots of variations and twists plus a couple of new words (for me, anyway)  You may be interested to know that Orlando is the pseudonym of the setter aka Cincinnus in the Financial Times

1 CASUALS Ins of U (middle letter of commUnity) in CASALS. Pau Casals i Defilló (1876–1973), best known during his professional career as Pablo Casals, was a Spanish Catalan cellist and later conductor. I like the way the definition has been disguised so effortlessly.
5 CAST-OFF Cha of cast (players) off (below par)
9 LET UP Cha of let (allowed) up (out of bed)
10 RENT ROLLS Cha of RENT (a rock musical, with music and lyrics by Jonathan Larson based on Giacomo Puccini’s opera La Bohème) ROLLS (turns)
11 CONTRIBUTE Ins of BU (last bus out) in CONTRITE (conscience-stricken)
12 STUN First letters of the fodder. This kind of clue is called an acrostic
14 ATRABILIOUS *(Is it a labour) A new word for me meaning “having a melancholy temperament; hypochondriac; splenetic, acrimonious”
18 CANADA GEESE Ins of nada (nothing) in CAGE (birds’ enclosure) + ESE *(see)
21 DROP dd
22 STANDING UP Cha of stand-in (deputy) G-UP (rev pug, a dog)
25 MAYFLOWER Ins of FLOW (continuity) in Mayer (Hollywood producer – remember the last name in MGM?)
26 GREBE Rev of Berg (Alban Maria Johannes Berg (February 9, 1885 – December 24, 1935) was an Austrian composer) + E (tail of firE); short-winged almost tailless freshwater diving bird
27 CUSTODY Anagram of CUD (50% of CUDdly) + TOYS
28 ABYSMAL (b) aby smal (l) baby and small both mean little

1 CALICO Ins of ALI aka Cassius Clay, the greatest in C (Colorado’s first) & CO (Colorado represented by ‘it’)
2 SIT-INS *(is isn’t)
3 AMPERSANDS &&&& (h) amper (check topless) sands (beach)
4 SCRUB dd
5 CONSTABLE Cha of CONS (swindles) table (board)
6 SURF Acrostic
7 OBLATION *(bail to no) A new word for me – an act of offering; a sacrifice; anything offered in worship, esp a Eucharistic offering; an offering generally.
8 FASTNESS dd
13 FLEETINGLY FLEE *(feel) TINGLY (thrilled)
15 RIGHT AWAY Right (Conservatives) A WAY (strategy
16 ACADEMIC Cha of A CAD (blighter) *(mice)
17 ANTONYMS Mark Antony (Character in Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar) MS (manuscript) which are words having opposite meanings like ‘war’ and ‘peace’
19 AGLEAM Ins of E (ember’s first) in A Glam, a type of rock music popular in Britain in the 1970s, memorable more for the outrageous clothes, hairstyles and make-up of the performers than for the music itself.
20 APPEAL dd
23 NORMA ha Norma is a tragedia lirica or opera in two acts by Vincenzo Bellini with libretto by Felice Romani after Norma, ossia L’infanticidio (Norma, or The Infanticide) by Alexandre Soumet.
24 ALSO A (last letter of canastA) LSO (London Symphony Orchestra brilliantly described as “players in capital”)

12 Responses to “Guardian 24,489 – Orlando”

1. mhl says:

Thanks for the post. Lots of great clues here, I thought – I particularly liked 6d and 12a for their excellent surface readings while nicely disguising the initial letters device. Also 26a’s Stravinsky reference was nice.

20d seemed a bit weak to me, but maybe I’m missing something – “please” would have to be “appeal to” if you substituted it in a sentence, surely?

I’m kicking myself for forgetting the “the greatest” can be ALI, although it was obvious from the crossing letters what the answer had to be. My other hold-up was due to trying to go too fast and putting in MOONRAKER for M_______R, thinking that it was the perfect “Celebrated craft of Holywood”… :)

2. don says:

19D Ign(e)um?

3. Geoff Moss says:

Sorry Don but neither of the words you allude to (ignum and igneum) exist in Chambers, COED or Collins. The Guardian website gives the answer as ‘agleam’.

This was a very enjoyable and satisfying puzzle, with some very clever surface readings.

I’d never heard of ATRABILIOUS, either, but it was easily gettable from the excellent anagram.

OBLATION I did know – it comes from the same [very irregular] Latin verb as OFFER – although the only instance of its use I’ve seen is in the Epiphany hymn, ‘Brightest and best’: ‘Vainly we offer each ample oblation’. [The use of 'delinquent' as an anagrind made a great surface.]

My favourite clue was 24dn, the last one I put in – so often the short ones take longest! I was expecting it to be OSLO until I put in MAYFLOWER.

Mhl: I’ve been thinking about ‘appeal’. My first reaction was the same as yours but I think these days people do say, ‘That doesn’t appeal’. But, if it were to be followed by an [indirect] object, being an intransitive verb, it would, as you say, need ‘to’.

5. Octofem says:

Eileen -’Oblation’ is used every week in C of E services when the collection is offered up – ‘Accept our alms and oblations’.

Octofem: not in our church – but thanks, anyway!

7. Dave Ellison says:

Isn’t 8d an &lit, too? Flying fortress is a bomber.

8. rightback says:

I can’t remember any previous Orlando puzzles particularly standing out, but I thought lots of this was really excellent.

9. don says:

Garden Dictionary Word: igneum

Meaning: Fiery, glowing; on fire
    Latin Pronunciation: IG-nee-um

10. don says:

“Abite a me in ignum eternum”

11. Geoff Moss says:

Don

I don’t wish to seem pedantic but I think you will find the correct spelling is ‘in ignem eternum’.

Anyway, this is academic since ‘ignem’ is ‘fire’, not ‘a sort of rock’ which the clue required.

12. don says:

OK Geoff, thanks – I happily stand corrected.

I just wondered whether it was a possibility, given the Garden Dictionary’s definition of ‘igneum’. Take out the ‘e’ and it leaves ignum, which I thought was perhaps, perchance, just maybe, a type of igneous rock.