Guardian 24,490/Araucaria

Posted by Andrew on September 10th, 2008

Andrew.

I’d only just finished Araucaria’s Saturday puzzle, which I found very hard, so I was a bit apprehensive when I saw his name again. Fortunately this one was a lot less troublesome, though still a challenge, but a lot of fun too, with its tour of some of Europe’s art galleries.

Key:
dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
* = anagram
< = reverse

1 GALLERY R in GALLEY In retrospect this is an easy clue, but for some reason it took me a while to get it, which led to delays solving the many clues that refer to it.
5 THE GODS dd Linked to the previous clue – “the gods” can refer to an upper gallery on a theatre
11 MERCANTILE C ANTI in MERLE
12 MODERN MODE RN “After 27″ makes this TATE MODERN
13 NATIONAL triple definition Here we have the National Gallery (in Trafalgar Square), “race” (the Grand National) and “of the race”.
14 BEQUEATHS (THE BASQUE)*
16,10 MARDI GRAS MAR DIG RA’S “before the end of 7″ give “before the fast”, and Mardi Gras, aka Shrove Tuesday, aka Pancake Day, is the day before Ash Wednesday, which is the start of the fast of Lent
17 PRADO PR ADO The main art gallery in Madrid
19 HERMITAGE M in HERITAGE Two definitions in addition to the wordplay: The Hermitage Gallery in St Petersburg, and “spot for loner”
23 TERRIFIC TERR(e) IF IC The IC is the “1 cent” from 26ac.
24 LOUVRE dd The gallery in Paris, of course, home of the Mona Lisa.
26 BENEFICENT N in BEEF + 1 CENT
27,28 TATE BRITAIN T + (IT A) in ATEBRIN An antipyretic is a fever-reducing drug, of which Atebrin is an example.
29 VAGRANT V(i)AGRA NT
2 AIR HOLE AIRH (from “Hair”) + OLÉ
3 LISLE L (end of doleful) + ISLE Not a man’s name, but the Isle of Man
4 ROMANIA OR< MANIA
6 HEARTY HE ARTY I’m not sure about the significance of “bogus?” here – my best guess is that a “hearty” can be a sporty, and therefore not aesthetic, type. Sincere=hearty as in “hearty congratulations”.
7 GO TOO FAST GOT OOF A ST Oof is old-fashioned slang for money – as might have been used by Bertie Wooster and friends
8 DULLARD DUL(y) LARD
9 FRENCH TEACHER FRENCH TEA + CHER This made me laugh – “The accented” is “Thé”, which is French for tea. I suppose there should really be an indication that CHER is also a French word.
15 UNDERFELT dd
18 ROE DEER ROE DEER<
20 MILITIA I LIT in AIM<
21 GARSTON (A STRONG)* Garston is a Merseyside village near John Lennon Airport
22 UFFIZI FIZ(z) in (s)UFI The Uffizi is in Florence
25 UTTER dd

7 Responses to “Guardian 24,490/Araucaria”

1. JohnR says:

6dn – I read “bogus” as referring to the pejorative “arty” (typically used of someone who makes unfounded or over-inflated claims to aesthetic tastes).

9dn is brilliant.

21dn I’m not sure. Is “inclination” an adequate anagrind?

2. mhl says:

Andrew, I think you’re right about 6 down – one of the Chambers definitions for “hearty” as a noun explicitly says “as opposed to an ├Žsthete” (or something like that)…

3. Andrew says:

Thanks Mhl. I’m not so sure myself now, as hearties are not pretending to be arties, so “bogus” doesn’t really apply. JohnR’s theory seems at least as plausible.

4. Geoff says:

Took me a little while to spot the linked clues because I didn’t see 1ac immediately either: I saw ADO from UNDERFELT, which gave PRADO and the rest fell out…

9dn is great – and I don’t personally think it needs a double prompt of Frenchness. We know the compiler is Araucaria, after all! 8dn is very funny and splendidly sizeist.

As a Scouser (in exile), I was pleased to see the Liverpool suburb of GARSTON get an airing.

5. Dave Ellison says:

Well, this took me ages as I didn’t get 1ac until 4 or 5 from the end. This was mostly because I had put in Launch for 24ac, which seemed to fit, as I thought 1 ac was some sort of boat. Then I got Modern and couldn’t see how this was a boat; etc.

6. Pricklewedge says:

So ashamed… an ex-arts council employee and I failed to get the gallery link, doh!

7. Mick H says:

I got FRENCH TEACHER but didn’t understand why – that really is an excellent clue. But I don’t think ‘inclination’ works at all as an anagram indicator.