Independent 6835/Scorpion

Posted by neildubya on September 11th, 2008

neildubya.
1 ASS,ASS,IN – I liked “rears” to indicate the two ASSes.
9 B(I,OP)IC – writers aren’t always people.
10 BAN< in WANE – I’m pretty sure I haven’t come across WANNABE in a puzzle before and I thought it was nicely handled in this clue.
11 C(H,EYE)NN,E
12 KIN in GUN< – NUKING is a bit of informal slang that’s made its way into the dictionary.
13 YELLOW JERSEY – which is what the leader of the Tour de France and other multi-day cycling Tours wears. I guess this is a reasonably well-known phrase so you shouldn’t need to be a cycling fan to have heard of it.
16 NORMAN WISDOM – very strange clue, consisting of two sentences that don’t really seem to have much to do with each other: “William’s prudence lofting arrows in battle? His quick-fire delivery had us doubled-up”. The second sentence immediately suggested a comedian to me but I didn’t understand what the first part of the clue was on about at all. Once I had a few letters in the answer suggested itself and it became clear that “William” must be a reference to William the Conqueror, who led the Normans, although I still don’t know what “lofting arrows in battle” is supposed to be about: was that a sign of this particular Norman’s wisdom?
19 S,EC,ON,D – “old money” is S for shilling and D for sixpence and EC is the postcode for much of the Square Mile in the City of London.
23 RESIST – “resits” with the T moving forward.
24 hidden in “tO WEDding”- very cleverly done. “Due” is easy to overlook as the definition and “some get carried away” is a great way of suggesting a hidden answer.
25 D,MANY LSE< – DES LYNAM. I really liked this one too, especially “numerous economists” for MANY LSE (LSE is the London School of Economics).

4 SECOND,WOR(L)D,WAR – “Nineteen” is a reference to the answer at 19a.
5 NOW,HERE
6 LACKEY in SEB (going up) – BLACK EYES.
7 SI,EN,NA – not really sure how “couples placed constantly” indicates the middle pair of letters in “casino, frenzy, Monaco”.
8 ONO,(RENTS WOMENS)* – ON ONE’S OWN TERMS. I did briefly wonder whether YOKO might have been part of the anagram fodder.
14 LAND OF NOD – why “where crawling creatures live”?
15 CORAL SEA – don’t understand this one: “Exam once left space for another answer – ‘part of Pacific ocean’”. “Exam” looks like it could be ORAL but that’s all I can work out.
17 [-t]ANNOYED
18 (WHEN PE[-t])* – NEPHEW.
21 PUSSY – or pus-sy.

7 Responses to “Independent 6835/Scorpion”

1. conradcork says:

16. I thought maybe the arrows in the air bit referred to the fact that Harold getting one in the eye clinched Hastings for William.

14. All I could come up with is that yes-men nod all the time, and one could suppose that made them crawlers.

Overall a nice toughish treat for a Thursday.

2. conradcork says:

15. meant to day above, CSE was an exam once, inside which you have oral. coral se plus a for answer = coral sea.

3. beermagnet says:

10A WANNABE was used quite recently in a Guardian Paul puzzle. Here we are: 24413
    Hopeful catch will break fall (7)
    I remember being surprised that it was already in Chambers but I suppose the word itself pre-dates the Spice Girls.

19A D is for Penny (from denarius) not only sixpence!

4D I got 4D before 19A, from crossing letters and “raised fresh” (RAW)< , then was surprised that 19 was only the same first word.

7D Thanks for explaining this – I couldn’t

8D I spent far too long fiddling with YOKO (if you see what I mean)

14D I expect the “crawling creatures” reference is to the bit in Genesis where Adam names “all the animals, crawling creatures, fowl and the vegetation of the earth” after leaving Eden, and that the Land of Nod is supposed to be “East of Eden” where Cain went a-wandering after being banished

4. nmsindy says:

While I’ve not checked back, I think I’ve seen WANNABE as a word quite a while ago – I think it goes way back. Not as difficult as some of Scorpion’s earlier Indy puzzles. I was surprised (though of course there is nothing wrong with it) that SECOND appeared twice. Was quite happy with the indication for SI EN NA i.e. in the same (constant) position in the three six-letter words. Liked NOWHERE and HUNGARY a lot also.

5. NealH says:

I think the Norman wisdom is a reference to William’s tactics at the Battle of Hastings. To start with, his archers fired directly at Harold’s infantry and the arrows just stuck in the shields. Later, he changed tack and had his archers fire into the air so that the arrows landed on the soldiers behind the shield wall. There’s no evidence that Harold was actually killed by an arrow in the eye, however.

6. steppenwolfe says:

I take it everyon has got

SLIGHTED