Guardian, 24492 (Brummie)

Posted by diagacht on September 12th, 2008

diagacht.

Didn’t find this easy and am still unsure about 9a

9 RANCOROUS: ANCOR in anagram of SOUR; but why ANCOR? (is it a homophone of ANCHOR)
12,3 WONDERFUL COPENHAGEN: WONDERFUL (modern meaning of WICKED) + C + OPEN (frank) + HAG + EN (as in en dash); from ‘Hans Christian Andersen’
13 MUGSHOT: MUG’S (stein’s) + HOT
17 VYING: dYING losing ‘d’ and gaining ‘V’ (very)
19,1 MANTRAP: MA + N (end of ruin) + GIN (a trap)
20 LARGO: LARGe losing ‘e’ and gaining ‘O’
21 ERMINED: ER (King Edward) + MINED
22 LIBRARY: &Lit (as in a book may turn up but noise volume may not)
24 GESTATION: anangram of ON STAGE IT
26,14 APRIL IN PARIS: anagram of L PAIR and ASPIRIN; and AVRIL is APRIL IN PARIS
28,16 GHOST STORY: G HOST + STORY
29 HOOVER DAM: HOOVER + DAM
2 UNKING: sUNKING without the ‘s’
4 GODWIT: WIT following GOD
5 ASUNCION: A SUN + anagram of ICON; capital city of Paraguay
7 SEAFARER: FARE in SEAR
8 IDOL: I’D + O + L
13 MOVIE: I (start of innocence) in MOVE
15 PALLBEARER: &Lit
19,18 MIDNIGHT IN MOSCOW: MIDNIGHT (kind of blue) + IN (popular) + MO (Maureen) + S (bob, shilling) + COW (Daisy)
22,11 LONDON PRIDE: I think this is a double definition
23 ABRADE: A BRA + D + E (top of elastic)
24,6 GIGABYTE: GIG + A BYTE (sounds like a bite)
25 ARTY: heARTY less ‘he’
27 LIME: sLIME without the ‘s’ (sulphur)

15 Responses to “Guardian, 24492 (Brummie)”

1. Adrian Ord says:

9a AN COR = one ‘I say!’

2. Andrew says:

I was puzzled by 9ac for a while too, but it’s AN=one) COR=I say! in SOUR*

I found this rather a strange puzzle – a mixture of hard and easy. I wasn’t keen on 19/1, where TRAP has the same meaning in both the wordplay and the answer.

Interesting coincidence to have he(ARTY) in this one after our discussions a couple of days ago.

I thought this was tough but very satisfying to finish.

I, too, got hung up on ‘anchor’ in 9ac.

I thought 2dn was pretty audacious ['king' as a verb is rather archaic - but to 'unking?] but it made me laugh.

I puzzled over the anagram fodder for 26,14. Can ‘l’ really be an abbreviation for ‘little’ as well as ‘large’? I’m ashamed to say it took me a few minutes to realise that ‘Avril’ was the definition – I might have expected some reference to 13dn for this answer.

10ac was the last one I put in, after finally getting the ‘y’ from ‘byte’. I’d spent ages puzzling over a word for ‘cave’ to put inside a word for ‘bear’.

I thought there were some great clues, with excellent surfaces [e.g. 22ac and 24ac] and I liked the construction of 17ac and 20ac. I don’t have a problem with 19.1: the reference to ‘Mother’s ruin’ was too good to miss!

4. Andrew says:

I got the Y in BYTE quite early, so for a while I was trying to fit Yogi Bear into 10ac..

5. JamieC says:

I thought the wordplay for 26/14 was PR in AIL for “little pair in distress”, followed by anag of ASPIRIN (dished out), which I think works better than having “little” mean L.

Can somebody please explain 10ac?

6. Geoff Moss says:

10a double definition, yield as in ‘bear fruit’ and ‘cave in’ (in cave? No other way round) or ‘give way under pressure’.

26/14: JamieC’s explanation works for me – but I still feel it needs a further definition: ‘April in Paris’ doesn’t mean anything, except as a 13dn or a song.

8. Andrew says:

I agree with Eileen about the lack of definition for APRIL IN PARIS. There’s an unstated mini-theme of song titles in the puzzle – A in P is one, as are MIDNIGHT IN MOSCOW, WONDERFUL COPENHAGEN (both indicated their clue) and LONDON PRIDE (Noel Coward), so it’s a bit of a pity that it wasn’t made slightly more explicit. Stretching the point a bit too far we also have Handel’s LARGO and the Harry LIME theme…

9. mhl says:

In 21 across, does “was exploitative” really work for MINED? As usual, I guess I’ve just misunderstood, but I’d have thought it should be “exploited” or “was exploited”…

This was a good level of difficulty for a daily puzzle, I thought – pretty tough, but nothing so unapproachable that I got really stuck at any point. (10 across was the last one I got – without understanding the construction, unfortunately.)

10. Dave Ellison says:

Is 15d really an &lit? Am I missing something? Isn’t it a typical Rufus type clue?

11. don says:

I thought ‘Avril’ was the definition for 26/14 and in Paris, France it’s what they’d say for April, so Avril = April in France/Paris/French. I don’t see the problem really.

12. Pilko says:

Can I please have 10 across explained?

I understand that YIELD can be both ‘bear’ and ‘cave’, but I don’t get the ‘No, other way round’ part of the clue.

13. Geoff Moss says:

See comment #6 above.

14. C & J says:

As newcomers to the blog we are not quite au fait with the terminology. Would someone please explain “&lit” ?

15. Geoff Moss says:

&lit is explained towards the bottom of this page: