Posted by Ciaran McNulty on September 18th, 2008
A very well-designed grid today, with all of the two-word clues ‘lining up’ either horizontally or vertically.
It seemed fairly hard, and I didn’t finish a couple of the clues, marked with a ?. Hopefully a helpful commenter will provide the solution. (EDIT: Eileen has filled them in, in the comments. Thanks Eileen!)
(CAPS) = insertion
(lowercase) = removal
* = anagram
7. WOMANISH. W(OMAN)ISH
9. ANTRAL. A + N + TRA(i)L. Not sure if the adjective as the definition works.
10. ? (EDIT: HEEL, double def)
11. MERCANTILE. MERC + ANT + ILE.
12. BEYOND REPROACH. PREACHERNOBODY*
15. SWOOSH. S(WOOS)H.
17. AEGEAN. Every other letter of ‘an eagle has’
20. INTERIOR DESIGN. Nice ‘reverse clue’, design being hidden in “blondesignorance”
22. PROFLIGATE. PROF + L + I + GATE
24. HUTS. SHUT with the first letter moved to the end
25. MANEGE. MAN(E.G.)E
26. SHELL OUT
1. ? (EDIT: LOVELESS. MOAN minus O is MAN)
2. LAND FALL ON ONE’S FEET. (EDIT: FALLON + ‘ONES(FEE)T)
3. DIMMED. D(I’M ME)D.
4. BAD APPLE. B + A + DAPPLE. A dapple is a colouration of hourse.
5. STATIONERS HALL. ANILSTARHOTELS*. An ancient livery hall near St Paul’s
6. GARLIC. suGARLICker. Not sure the def ‘which tastes different’ works
8. HARARE. HAR(A + R)E.
16. SPINIFEX. S(PIN + 1 + F)EX. Luckily the only type of grass I could remember.
18. NIGHT OUT. Another reverse clue, THING could be an anag of night.
19. BROADS. B-ROADS.
21. NORMAL. NORMA + L.
22. ? (EDIT: DIETER (DI + E(a)TER)