Independent 6841 by Tees

Posted by nmsindy on September 18th, 2008

nmsindy.

I think I recall previous Tees puzzles featured many references to Greek mythology and English literature. This was similar with an overall theme of horses. Difficult but extremely satisfying, solving time, 49 mins. I’d guess it took ages to set

* = anagram < = reversal

ACROSS

1 ORS IN O horse content = letters within it – Tees goes to the edge re clue practices. Character from Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, hence ‘Illyrian’

4 PEG AS US From Greek mythology, a winged horse. Winning post refers to croquet.

9 PINEWOODS w in (Poseidon)* not sure if I’ve seen ‘used’ just by itself to indicate an anagram, but the answer was clear when light dawned.

10 AM USE recreate as in recreation, not re-creation

11 EVITA Peron Hidden reversal Spiritual leader of the nation (Argentina)

12 S (PACE) S HIP Spaceship Enterprise SS = bodyguard from Hitler but usually appears as plural bodyguards hip = with it

13 S (HACK L) E Vacant stable = first and last letters. Surface reading going with the theme.

15 EASTER cf e-aster! I liked this a lot

17 BOLT ON Got this only at the very end

19 FOURTHS (shut for)*

22 U (LAN BA TO) R (Alban)* to in Ur walls, I think, indicates containment though Ur (place) = Sumerian (adj) I’m not sure of, but maybe we take the leap – I did guess the answer early on from the Alban anagram

24 (Ac)HERON River from Greek mythology. Was not sure if ‘to’ was part of the subtractive indication or a link word – I think probably the latter.

26 FR ILL

27 COLER (ID) GE Id in (El Greco)* 19th century Romantic poet – I spent ages looking for a synonym of ‘romantic’

25 X AN THUS Horse from Greek mythology. Heroic of Indy to mention a rival paper in a week they upped their price by 25%.

29 RED RUM A real horse this time – three times Grand National winner. (murder)< a collective word for crows

DOWN

1 ORPHEUS (horse up)* cleverly bringing horse in again

2 SUNNI Confirmed this (which I got from what seems to be the definition ‘adherent’) but do not understand it “News in itself unto Scipio’s adherent” S?N?I

3 NEW MARKET Racecourse

4 POST AGE Excellent age = day not in the 24-hour sense and a great definition

5 GR AVE

6 SOUTHWEST (Who test us)*

7 S (LEE) PY

8 MOUS (S) E

14 ADO RATION

16 STUDHORSE 29 across is RED RUM here rum indicates an anagram of ‘shouts red’ and the surface reading is relevant and amusing too. Only reservation is that I’d have thought of it as a two-word phrase and dicts seem to confirm this. However, this would maybe have given too much away.

18 NO TI (C) ES Freedom = no ties many = C (Roman numeral for 100)

19 FE RULE

20 SUNBEAM cf Bun seam

21 OUTFOX Fox hunt in village of Quorn

23 Sir Toby (A)BEL CH Another character from Twelfth Night

25 RIDER Double definition

12 Responses to “Independent 6841 by Tees”

1. eimi says:

Studhorse is another of those where Collins has it as one word and I use Collins to determine whether an answer should be one word, two words or hyphenated.

2. Mick h says:

Very tricky. I struggled hard with the last few clues, and thanks Niall for clearing up the wordplay in some of those. With 2down, I read it as N,N (news, as in plural of new) in SUI, which means itself in latin and is therefore ‘itself unto Scipio’.
    I wasn’t confident about putting EVITA in, just because I don’t think of Eva Peron as a spiritual leader. But there were some very nice touches here – I’d hold up ‘Quarters shut for renovation’ as a good example of a noun used perfectly acceptably as an anagram indicator. Clear as anything.

3. Ximpedant says:

Sorry — that nounal anagram indicator won’t do. The barbarians are at the gates.

4. Al Streatfield says:

Some good clues, but too much trickery for my taste. I.e. STUDHORSE being an anagram of SHOUTS RED,the anag. indicator being provided by the second half of RED RUM. Agree with Ximpedant about nounal anagram in “Shut for renovation”. Didn’t like definition of Eva Peron. Why “unto” in SUI bit of SUNNI? NO TIES a bit loose as a synonym of freedom (which could be said to imply that there was only one word as a container). I’d never heard of FERULE. I haven’t got the clues in front of me. Can someone explain the clue for BOLTON, which was the only word I didn’t get?

5. Geoff Moss says:

BOLT (run as a horse given start [or a start, startled] ON

6. nmsindy says:

Yes, that’s how I saw BOLTON, but it was tricky – I should have explained it more fully in the blog.

I think the Ximpedant comment was in jest (though in that as you know there is many a true word…). It’s a complex area with subtle grammatical points.

When verifying, “Spiritual leader of the nation” did come up for EVITA.

Thanks Mick H for SUNNI – what I missed was Scipio indicating Latin which was good – and I think Tees has used something similar in the past. Not sure about nn = news tho.

7. Al Streatfield says:

It occurred to me after I had made my comment on Ximpedant that the posting may have been a joke. For some reason “renovation” doesn’t look quite right as an anagram indicator tacked on after the word that it is to be anagrammed. Possibly because of the word itself. A “renovation” of something usually means that the structure is the same but the furniture and fittings are changed- it is decorated differently etc…

8. Geoff Moss says:

Al

Provided the anagram indicator is ‘with renovation’ I don’t see the problem. Using Chambers definitions, renovation = regeneration = rebuilding or reformation (as in regenerate = to reform completely).

9. Testy says:

I just don’t see the problem people have with nouns. A house renovation is a renovation of a house so SHUT FOR renovation seems perfectly acceptable to me as meaning a renovation of SHUT FOR.

A “cement and sand mixture” is going to be mixed just as well as a “mixture of cement and sand”!

10. nmsindy says:

AZED covers this issue in detail in his recent book – it is complex and, as I’m far from a grammar expert, I found it heavy going at times, but it does explain why they are generally avoided.

11. Tees says:

Anagram indication is very much a horses for courses thing, I think you’ll find (I’m already regretting having posted that, don’t worry).

My editor at The Independent has said he is happy to accept, inter alia, nounal indication for anagrams, and so occasionally I put them into my puzzles. I don’t think you are allowed to use them for Times crosswords, whereas in The Guardian a simple ‘of’ or ‘from’ can sometinmes suffice.

Although he is a most wise crossword man I wasn’t convinced by Azed’s argument con. Grammar’s an eel in our Vaselined hands I reckon. And after that, there’s Derrida.

12. Ken Riley says:

Loved this x-word—-got all but 4 , so was very pleased! I think the compilers in i are amongst the most challenging, and i like a duel! Still kick myself if i get defeated!