FT No.12882, Set by Viking, 25 September, 2008

Posted by Octofem on September 25th, 2008

Octofem.

Some interesting clues this morning, and the left bottom corner gave me pause.  27d particularly troublesome.

ACROSS

1.     CORNET – (c-or-net)
4.     KEYBOARD – key board – cryptic definition. Board as in board and lodging)
9.     ANNALS  –  ( a-n-n -alsO )
10.   EAGLE EYE – (ea-glee-ye – old form of ‘you’)
12.   PASTICHE – ( *its cheap)
13.   FENDER – ( fen-<red.  Fen is a unit of Chinese currency)
15.   RUDE – homophone of ‘rued’.
16.   ASCETIC  – ( *ecstatic losing one ‘t’)
20.   FILLIPS – ( homophone of [Prince] Philip’s.)
21.   SPAR – (sp-E-ar)
25.   RATTLE – ( rattleR – one who talks incessantly.  To rattle someone  is to cause upset.)
26.   INSIGNIA – ( *signs in-i(NDIA)
28.   FINE TUNE – (cryptic def.)
29.   VIKING – (vi(P)-king )
30.   RECORDER – ( re-c-order)
31.   DIDDLE (dd. – to diddle is to toy with something,or to cheat )

DOWN

1.     CLAPPERS – (c-l-appers)
2.     RINGSIDE – (* desiring)
3.     ECLAIR – (Claire with e moved to beginning)
5      ELAN – ( even letters of ‘deb learns’)
6.     BULLETIN (bull-e-tin – a release as in ‘press release’.)
7.     AMENDS – (amen-d-s)
8.     DREARY- ( d-rear-y)
11.   WHISTLE ( whist <el – not the wolf kind, obviously)
14.   SERPENT -(,ser-pen-t – tres – French for very, around ‘pen’)
17.   VIOLATOR – (viol-<rota – Don Giovanni, the infamous rake.)
18.   OPEN MIND- cryptic def.)
19.   TRIANGLE – ( * faltering without ‘f.  I quite liked this alliterative clue)
22.   PREFER – (p-ref-<re – to favour something)
23.   ETHNIC -( eth-n-icS)
24.   BIKINI( (bikinG-i)
27.  ONCE- (on ice minus I- Thanks to Geoff for this answer.

7 Responses to “FT No.12882, Set by Viking, 25 September, 2008”

1. Geoff Moss says:

27d is ONCE – on ice (reserves) with i removed.

I have FIDDLE for 31a and parsed 25a as [p]RATTLE since both of these are supported by Chambers.

As you say, some ‘interesting’ definitions in places!

2. C G Rishikesh says:

Octofem,

Some clue numbers in the Across set need to be fixed.

3. Magpie says:

I didn’t get on very well with this, though that may have been because I was trying to do three things at once!
    An alternative suggestion for 25a – as the clue contained “endless”, and it clearly didn’t relate to the last letter of the answer, I took it to be (p)rattle(r), using gossip as a noun rather than a verb.

4. C G Rishikesh says:

In 19ac ‘footloose’ could have been used instead of ‘footless’, I thought.

5. C G Rishikesh says:

Sorry, I meant 19dn.

6. Octofem says:

Rishi – thank you for pointing that out. I hadn’t noticed! I like your ‘footloose’ idea. I did post thanks to Geoff, but it seems to have vanished. The ‘prattler’ base for 25a seems to be favourite.

7. nmsindy says:

Enjoyable, quite tricky in places. Yes, I think it’s prattler as rattle and rattler are too similar. Think I’d prefer ‘footless’ to ‘footloose’ though – I think the former gives precise indication of deletion – the other is maybe making one word two.