Independent 6847 by Nimrod

Posted by nmsindy on September 25th, 2008

nmsindy.

Extremely difficult and I failed with it, guessing two answers at the end which turned out to be wrong.   There are a few others I do not understand either.    As a late stand-in, please forgive a less fully-considered blog, and happy to have those I missed explained.

* = anagram   < = reversed

ACROSS

1/8 COMMISSIONED OFFICER   (if decision comes from)*    I tend to look for long anagrams esp at perimeter in Nimrod puzzles and this one came quickly enough.

9 ONESELF   e in on shelf less h

11 BUR(ME)SE    (rebus)*

12 RHO N CHI

13 YET IS

14 IN PASSING   “Across the board, Englishmen make progress thus from the French”   Thought it might be the English translation of “en passant” used in chess i.e. board, but understand no more.

16 UNDERSEA L

19 PEE EM  One of those I got wrong – it seems to be PM (afternoon) spelled out but I cannot understand the rest “Top man’s premium following Death in the Afternoon?”

Maybe the top man is the PM

21 FELT TIP   Cos it writes in bold, I guess

25 CURLING   “Revolutionary activity in which one may aim stones at house”   Not understood, I guessed ‘curving’

24 TIMBALE   (Blame it)*

25/26 CHINESE WATER TORTURE   (Were that intercourse)*    Fairly clear it was an anagram from early on, but took ages to work out.

DOWN

1 C OFF RET   First three letters of the two words    C = 100

2 MOCKERS   Double definition

3 ISRAELITE    (realities)*

4 SPO (ns) OR    NS = Nova Scotia

5 ONE ROUS(e)

6 ELENCHI  Hidden

7 COWBOY OUTFIT      Definition, botchers, I think, but don’t get the rest  “Botchers R Us of which chaps would normally be a part?”

10 FRIDGE MAGNET   Cryptic definition

15 POL (ICE C) AR

17 DIL EMMA   lid<

18 RA T RACE   ar<

19 PURLIEU    ur (from phone texting) in lie up (cycling)

20 EV I L EY E   ley = land  Eve = first mate

22 PLEAT  hidden

13 Responses to “Independent 6847 by Nimrod”

1. Geoff Moss says:

19a PM is an abbreviation for Prime Minister (top man), premium, post mortem (following death) and afternoon.

7d ‘Botchers R Us’ is a cowboy outfit (a firm that does shoddy work) and ‘chaps’ is a shortened form of chaparajos which are a cowboy’s leather riding leggings.

2. Richard Palmer says:

Very hard, with a lot of words I would consider too obscure for an everyday crossword. I think using such words is only justified if there is a Nina or some sort of theme and I didn’t spot one.

19A I didn’t get this but I think it is 4 different abbreviations of pm
    23A I guess it is a reference to the silly game played on ice. I don’t know why it is ‘revolutionary’
    7D Chaps are worn by cowboys
    10 I didn’t get this and after seeing the answer I don’t like it

3. Geoff Moss says:

Richard

23a ‘revolutionary’ because the stones usually have a degree of spin (or revolutions) put on them when they are released towards the house.

4. Testy says:

1D To me “all but the first three” suggests ICERETURNS or perhaps ICEURNS. I can’t quite interpret it as “just the first three of each word”

To me 10D is a craptic definition.

23a is presumably a DD, “revolutionary activity” being CURLING in the twisting round sense.

Is there a Nina that I’m missing which merited the inclusion of (to my mind) obscure words like RHONCHI, ELENCHI, PEE EM?

There were quite a few good ones too though (I liked POLICE CAR).

5. Testy says:

PS I forgot to say that I didn’t understand the necessity for “Aging” in 12A

6. mhl says:

Blimey, well done to anyone who finished this one! The clues I managed to get were fun though.

Could someone help me out with the “those put on to end proceedings” meaning of MOCKERS?

19 across is bizarre.

7. Colin Blackburn says:

‘put the mockers on’ is slang meaning ‘to put an end to’, ‘put paid to’

Chambers doesn’t give it direct derivation but it is part of ‘mock’

8. Colin Blackburn says:

Just been forced to go downstairs and consult Brewers. It suggests that it was Australian slang from early 20th century but may have originated in English markets prior to that. A suggestion is that it is from the Hebrew ‘makot’, via the Yiddish ‘makkes’, meaning plagues or visitations.

9. nmsindy says:

Re comment 5, I thought the ‘aging’ was as it was the old Greek alphabet.

10. mhl says:

Thank you for explaining that, Colin.

11. nmsindy says:

MOCKERS I should have explained ‘put the mockers on’. I’d thought it was more well-known. A quick look at dicts shows they generally explain it, however.

12. Testy says:

I know we often tend to think of everything Greek as being ancient but aren’t Rho and Chi in the modern Greek alphabet too?

13. Barbara says:

cowboy outfit:
    Also note that “Botchers R Us”, minus the Bch, is an anagram of trousers.