Posted by Ciaran McNulty on September 26th, 2008
Later than normal, due to me spending an hour or so on the Genius before realising I’d clicked on the wrong puzzle!
dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
* = anagram
1. WORKHORSE. WORK + HORSE. A Punch is a horse, presumably ‘a go’ is work?
6. CHIP. dd. A chip shot vs a chip used in games like Poker.
10. TRACT. Diminish is CONTRACT minus CON (‘study’).
11. AMBERGRIS. AMBER + RIGS*. Waxy substance secreted by whales and used in the perfume industry.
12. ROMANCE. MANOR* + CE.
13. RISOTTO. R + I + SOT + TO.
14. ARCHBISHOPRIC. ARCH + BISHOP + R + I + C.
17. BETWEEN WHILES. Whiles are ‘cunning devices’, I assume.
21. PRETEXT. cd.
22. MEANDER. RENAMED*
25. NERVELESS. dd
25. SHAKO. HAS* + KO. A fairly silly-looking hat.
26. RAMP. R.A. + M.P. I think ramp=racket in the sense of ‘rage’.
27. TRAMLINES. dd. Tramlines are the sets of differe ‘out’ lines on a tennis court for doubles/singles.
1. WATERWAY. WA(I)TER + WAY.
2. REALM. REAL + M.
3. HOT AND BOTHERED. THERHANDEDBOOT*
4. READERS. dd. People ‘reading’ something at university, and people newspapers ‘rags’ are for.
5. EMBARGO. (d)EMO around GARB*.
7. HERETICAL. ICLEARTHE*
8. PISTOL. PI + LOTS rev.
9. DRESS REHEARSAL. dd
15. CABLEGRAM. GAMBLERAC*. Where does the S go?
16. USURIOUS. cd
18. ENTREAT. ENT (Ear Nose and Throat) + RATE*
19. NEMESIA. Hidden backwards in prAISEMENtioned.
20. OPENER. cd. Cricket reference
24. DRAWN. dd.