Independent 6848/Phi

Posted by John on September 26th, 2008

John.

The usual excellence from Phi. I suspect there’s a Nina that I can’t see, since 8dn is only mentioned in two clues, and if that’s all there is then it seems a bit thin.

7 EXCUSE ME
9 L(EG)UM E(volve)
10 arboretUM I Regret — hidden reverse — a New Zealand conifer that was unknown to me but will be more familiar to Phi
11 KEEP IT DARK — 2 defs
12 GE MINI
13 PROSPE(r) CT
15 SOLD(i)ERING (IR)ON
17 SC(I’M IT)AR
19 B (f)LURRY
21 TURN TURTLE — turtle with turn primarily
23 SO(B)S
24 JUDGES(IT H)
25 AMNIOTIC — (I moan)* tic

1 OX(H)IDE
2 YUSUF ISLAM — usu in (family’s)* — Yusuf Islam is Cat Stevens, although I can’t quite see what ‘perhaps’ is doing
3 NECKLINE — CD
4 A L(B)INO
5 AGED — eg rev. in AD
6 AMERICAN I think — us in another case is US, which is American, but the first three words of the clue??? (“What’s suited to us in another case”)
8 EXEMPLI GRATIA — (plai(n) tax regime)*
14 PERSUASION — (prose in a US)* — the excellent surface doesn’t enable one to see whether the def is ‘Dreadful’ or ‘novel’, since both are anagram indicators
15 S UC CUB US
16 G A BLEE(N)D
18 T OUCH Y
20 RUB RIC(h)
22 N(A)IL

7 Responses to “Independent 6848/Phi”

1. Colin Blackburn says:

8dn is used in 3 clues, though yes it does seem a little underused.

In 2dn, surely “perhaps” is there because Cat is not an adequate definition of Yusuf Islam

2. John says:

Yes of course 3 clues, should have taken more trouble.

I’m never sure about clues that use a name to define someone (like this one in 2dn, or ‘Rock’ for ‘Hudson’). I suppose it is a sort of definition by example, and so ‘perhaps’ is appropriate, but it doesn’t seem that it’s quite such a blatant def by example as something like ‘bass’ for ‘fish’. After all ‘Yusuf Islam’ is defined perfectly well by ‘Cat’: if we see ‘cat’ we know it’s lion or tiger or moggie or whip or Yusuf Islam, etc.

3. Geoff Moss says:

6d Is ‘suited’ being used in its sense of ‘matched’, with ‘what’s suited to’ indicating that the answer is synonymous with ‘US’?

4. Colin Blackburn says:

Here though Cat isn’t Yusuf Islam. The person who was once known as Cat Stevens is now known as Yusuf Islam, ie he’s not Cat Yusuf Islam. I’d feel that under these circumstances Cat isn’t enough on its own to define the answer. Cat Stevens would clearly be a little too much!

I’d be interested to know whether, “Cat, once,…” would be an acceptable alternative.

5. timbo says:

And who is Cat Stevens anyway? I’ve never heard of him.

6. Testy says:

Timbo, he’s a singer/songwriter… but I can’t help thinking you would have got your answer more efficiently by just typing “Cat Stevens” into Google!

7. Paul B says:

Cat, eh? Bunthorne did ‘I was Norma in my role-playing’ or something. You can probably guess what the answer is.