Guardian 24,506 – Logodaedalus

Posted by Ciaran McNulty on September 29th, 2008

Ciaran McNulty.

Not much to say about today’s, fairly straightforward with a couple of niggles.

* = anagram
cd = cryptic definition

1. FISHWIFE. FISH + W(IF)E.  I’ve never been sure why this is a coarse woman.
5. HEIGHT. H + EIGHT.
9. SHOWGIRL. S + HOW + GIRL.
10. METRIC. ME + TRIC(k).  ‘This system’ seems a bit vague as a def.
11. EMMENTAL. EM + MENTAL
12. BISECT. BI(SECT)T.
14. GANGBUSTER. NUGGETBARS*.
18. HARASSMENT. SARAH* + S(MEN)T.  Sarah Gamp is a character from Martin Chuzzlewit.
22. SOILED. S + OILED
23. BAREFOOT. B(A REF)OOT.  The ‘girl’ seems to be a slight red herring.
24. IDEATE. ID(EAT)E. An Ide is a freshwater fish
25. ANYTHING. germANY THING Girls.  Odd reuse of just part of the phrase as the definition.
26. EGRESS. S + SERGE backwards.  SERGE comes up an awful lot in Guardian crosswords, it seems to me.
27. ASSAILED. A. + S. + SAILED.

1. FASTER. F + ASTER.
2. STORMY. STOR(M)Y.
3. WAGING. WA(GIN)G.
4. FIRE ALARMS. FI(REAL + A)RMS.
6. EMERITUS. SEMITRUE*. Normally used to refer to retired academics.
7. GARMENTS. G(ARM)ENTS.
8. TACITURN. CAT rev. + I TURN.
13. AGONY AUNTS. cd.
15. CHASTISE. CHAS(ITS rev)E.  I wasn’t aware this word meant ‘beat’ rather than ‘verbally beat’
16. FROIDEUR. FUROREID.  I initially misspelt this as FROIDURE which made 24A and 26A tricky.
17. ASBESTOS. A S.O.(BEST)S.
19. BERTHA. THEBAR*. No idea what ‘always’ is doing there.
20. SOCIAL. COALIS*
21. STAGED. DEGAS rev around T.

11 Responses to “Guardian 24,506 – Logodaedalus”

1. Colin Blackburn says:

Thanks for explaining 18a. I stupidly misspelt the grid entry and just assumed HARRA or ARRAH meant something!
    16d I made the same initial mistake but quickly decided as ‘froid’ was French the ending needed to be.
    13d for me reads as AGONY+AUNTS rather than a CD.

2. Colin Blackburn says:

Oh, and 19a I read always as meaning “all ways” and contributing to the anagrind.

15dn: “My father chastised you with whips but I will chastise you with scorpions”; I Kings 12:11

Re 1ac: I’ve alays wondered, too, so looked it up and found this ref. to Peter Ackroyd’s ‘London: a Biography’:

In London, fish mongers were also known as “The wives of Billingsgate”. According to Ackroyd, it is thought that they were descendants of devotees of the God, Belin who was worshipped there at one time. “They dressed in strong ‘stuff’gowns and quilted petticoats; their hair, caps and bonnets were flattened into one in distinguishable mass upon their heads.” They were also called ‘fish fags’. “They smoked small pipes of tobacco, took snuff, drank gin and were known for their colourful language… A dictionary from 1736 defined a ‘Billingsgate’ as a scolding, impudent slut.”

4. abu bilal says:

23ac.
    a slight red herring? you’re too kind; i can’t see particular connection with ‘a girl’ at all, as opposed to boy, man, old woman etc – and connection with dancing is tenuous at best. the girl reference is particularly unsatisfactory given that we have girls mentioned in 25ac and 19do, making it almost a theme in this puzzle.

5. Colin Blackburn says:

23ac surely the clue is a reference to Sandie Shaw and the Eurovision Song Contest. Sandie Shaw was infamous for performing barefoot at the time. The judges (no telephone votes back then) would presumably have been shod.

6. Shirley says:

23A – surely “girl” is in there because little girls are often dancing around barefoot as opposed to little boys who kick footballs around instead?
    Or am I being sexist?

7. John says:

Colin: “Harra” or “arrah” wouldn’t help. “Harassment” is spelt with a single not double “r”.
    I don’t think “always” can do duty for “all ways” as an anagram indicator.
    And Sandie sang, not danced, barefoot.
    That’s three strikes and you’re out.

8. Ygor says:

I got 23A by the crossing letters, but the explanation of the clue is still unclear to me. Oddly, the Washington Post this morning included this obituary.

“Barefoot Sanders, 83, a retired U.S. district judge whose memorable given name assured a measure of recognition that transcended the significant rulings he made during nearly three decades on the bench, died Sept. 21 at his home in Dallas of complications of an infection.”

Is Logodaedalus a fan of Texas justice?

9. bridgesong says:

Ygor

A ref = a referee, or judge (at the High Court in London, one of the judges in the Commercial Court is known by the title of the Official Referee) in a boot

10. Ygor says:

Oooh! I get it. A ref has to wear a shoe so that he can give someone the boot.

11. Colin Blackburn says:

John:
    I admitted to misspelling HARASSMENT, that was why I failed to understand the clue at all.
    Sandie Shaw was a singer but she did “dance” in the manner of a pop singer. I.e. slight shuffling in time.
    You’ve got me on all ways. It was just a punt.