Posted by Ciaran McNulty on September 29th, 2008
Not much to say about today’s, fairly straightforward with a couple of niggles.
* = anagram
cd = cryptic definition
1. FISHWIFE. FISH + W(IF)E. I’ve never been sure why this is a coarse woman.
5. HEIGHT. H + EIGHT.
9. SHOWGIRL. S + HOW + GIRL.
10. METRIC. ME + TRIC(k). ‘This system’ seems a bit vague as a def.
11. EMMENTAL. EM + MENTAL
12. BISECT. BI(SECT)T.
14. GANGBUSTER. NUGGETBARS*.
18. HARASSMENT. SARAH* + S(MEN)T. Sarah Gamp is a character from Martin Chuzzlewit.
22. SOILED. S + OILED
23. BAREFOOT. B(A REF)OOT. The ‘girl’ seems to be a slight red herring.
24. IDEATE. ID(EAT)E. An Ide is a freshwater fish
25. ANYTHING. germANY THING Girls. Odd reuse of just part of the phrase as the definition.
26. EGRESS. S + SERGE backwards. SERGE comes up an awful lot in Guardian crosswords, it seems to me.
27. ASSAILED. A. + S. + SAILED.
1. FASTER. F + ASTER.
2. STORMY. STOR(M)Y.
3. WAGING. WA(GIN)G.
4. FIRE ALARMS. FI(REAL + A)RMS.
6. EMERITUS. SEMITRUE*. Normally used to refer to retired academics.
7. GARMENTS. G(ARM)ENTS.
8. TACITURN. CAT rev. + I TURN.
13. AGONY AUNTS. cd.
15. CHASTISE. CHAS(ITS rev)E. I wasn’t aware this word meant ‘beat’ rather than ‘verbally beat’
16. FROIDEUR. FUROREID. I initially misspelt this as FROIDURE which made 24A and 26A tricky.
17. ASBESTOS. A S.O.(BEST)S.
19. BERTHA. THEBAR*. No idea what ‘always’ is doing there.
20. SOCIAL. COALIS*
21. STAGED. DEGAS rev around T.