Independent 6,852/Dac

Posted by Ali on October 1st, 2008

Ali.

Great stuff as ever from Dac. Lots of nice clues with great surface readings, and all of them fair.

1 REBUSES – RE,BUSES – Easy enough, but as neat a surface reading as you could wish to see
5 SOFA BED – S,OF,ABE,D
9 SINGING TELEGRAM – (IN GERMAN GIG LISTEN)*
10 TOAST – ‘Brown’ here being used (very elegantly) as a verb
11 ALDERSHOT – ALDERS,HO,T[-errace]
13 TOPCOATS – The last answer to go in, and I have to admit I initially made a mistake with it. I assumed it was HOT,C[O]ATS, but then realised a moment ago that it’s actually O in TOP CAT’S, he being the cartoon feline!
16 DEBARRED – DE,BAR,RED
17 HUGHIE – H,I in HUGE
19 ARISTOTLE – TOT[-a]L in A,RISE
21 TONIC – TO,NIC[-k]
23 PUT IN THE PICTURE – CD
24 TINTERN – INTER in TN (confines of ‘tumbledown’)
25 DEAD SET – I presume that this refers to hunting dogs being ready to pick up dead birds, etc.?

1 RESIT – I in REST
2 BENJAMIN BRITTEN – JAM in BENIN,”Britain”
4 SIGNAL – (Fritz) LANG,IS rev.
5 STEADY ON – (EASY DON’T)* – Another great surface reading
7 BIRTHDAY HONOURS – (SID HORNBY, AUTHOR)*
8 DEMITASSE – (TEA MISSED)*
12 RED CARPET – REDCAR (NE seaside town),PET
14 CRUSTACEA – CRUST,ACE,A
15 HEATH HEN – H in HEATHEN
18 HELPED – PE in HELD
20 TINGE – Hidden in fruiT IN GEneral
22 CHEAT – C[-up],HEAT

5 Responses to “Independent 6,852/Dac”

1. neildubya says:

23a – a minor point but I thought this was a double def: “told” and “how to utilise frame”.

2. Ali says:

Ah yes, you’re right, it’s DD not CD.

3. nmsindy says:

Excellent puzzle. A little trickier that usual. Re DEAD SET, I think it’s the dog’s position (still) but the prey is not necessarily dead (at that point, anyway). Maybe an expert can advise us.

4. rightback says:

Some top clues and (if I remember correctly) quibble-free, as usual from Dac. That said, I didn’t really understand DEAD SET either. Chambers gives under ‘set’ the definition “a gun dog’s indication of game”, whatever that means; is this relevant?

5. eimi says:

COED defines dead set as “a hunting dog’s act of indicating the presence of game.”