Posted by Ciaran McNulty on October 9th, 2008
Not too much of a challenge today, but a few words that were new to me.
* = anagram
< = reversed
(x) = removal
(X) = insertion
dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
9. HYDRA. HARDY*
10. OPERATION. OPEN* around RATIO.
11. FUNGOIDAL. FUN + GO + LAID*.
12. MINUS. INSUM*.
13. CEILIDH. I.E.CHILD*.
15. NONPLUS. Nice cryptic dd.
17. ROYAL. ROY+AL.
18. TAP. PAT< The most famous postman of all.
20. GUANA. GU(y)ANA. A type of reptile, as in iguana.
22. SINUSES. SIN + USES. ‘Cavities’ is a bit of a vague definition.
25. YARDARM. YARD + ARM. Presumably ref. to Scotland Yard.
26. TUBER. dd. Potato reference.
27. PLOUGHMEN. PL + ENOUGH* around M.
30. OLD STAGER. SOLDGREAT*.
31. GENUS. GEN(i)US.
1. CHEF. quiCHEFor.
2,13. IDENTITY CARDS. cd.
3. SAGO. SA(pe)GO.
4. GOOD SHOT. GOODS HOT.
5. CEYLON. CE + ONLY. Now Sri Lanka. ‘CE’ as establishment seems weak.
6. BAD MANAGER. BAD(MAN A)GER. Not convinced where the A comes from.
7. SIMNEL. MILNES*. What happens to the Lambert?
8. ONES. NOSE*
14. ILLUSTRATE. IL + LUST RATE.
16. SHAWM. SHAW + M. An early woodwind instrument.
19. PAY COURT. Two types of ‘make advances’?
21. ALARMING. ARM is gun, presumably A LING is a Hood?
23. NOBODY. Diary of a Nobody, a novel by George Grossmith.
24. SAPEGO. SAP + EGO.
26. THOR. half of THOROUGH,
28. GAGS. dd.
29. NOSE. N.E. around O.S.