Posted by Pete Maclean on October 16th, 2008
The Weekend Prize Crossword from 4th October 2008
Cinephile seriously stumped me with 15D here. (No doubt someone will enlighten me.) I nominate 27A for the best clue
1. FLAT-PACK – FLAT (accommodation) + PACK (the cards). So, a week or two ago we had Skype and now we have a nod to Ikea.
5. SPREAD – double definition
9. COLOSSAL – LOSS (financial imbalance) in COAL (fuel)
10. FABRIC – ABRI (shelter) in FA (footballers). I know “abri” from French but had not known it was also an English word.
12. DUPLE – hidden word
13. CHERISHED – CHERI[e] (politician’s wife nearly) + SHED (gave up)
14. SNIPER – SNIP (certainty) + ER (hesitation). Certainty as in something easily accomplished.
16. TOUGHEN – anagram of THE UN GO
18. MAHONIA – HO (house) in MANIA (obsession). I had to look this one up.
20. BREATH – RE (replaced) in BATH (tub)
22. NEWCASTLE – NEW (different) + CAST (players) + LE (the French)
23. OCEAN – O (round) + E (drug) in CAN (container). Nice to see a clue for OCEAN that is not an anagram of canoe.
24. SKIMPY – IMP (little devil) in SKY (heaven)
25. IDENTIFY – I (one) + DENTRIF[rice] (toothpaste without cereal) + Y[ogurt]
26. NETHER – NET (catch) + HER (the lady)
27. PROROGUE – PRO (career) + ROGUE (criminal)
1. FACADE – F (start to form) + A (a) + CADE (rebel). The rebel is the C15 Englishman, Jack Cade.
2. A SLAP ON THE WRIST – anagram of WHAT ITS PERSONAL
3, 11, 19. POSTE RESTANTE – anagram of POETS + REST (others) + ANTE (before)
4. CHANCER – CHAUCER with U changed to N
6. PLATITUDE – P (p) + LATITUDE (parallel)
7. EARTH SHATTERING – EAR (listener) + S (singular) + HATTER (crazy trader) in THING (article)
8. DECADENT – DECADE (period) + NT (sacred books)
15. PINEAPPLE(?) – the only words I can find that fit here are PINEAPPLE and PONDAPPLE. PINEAPPLE is the only one of these that begins to fit the clue (PINE = wooden) but this suggests that “pupil” gives us APPLE and a pineapple is something or somehow near the ground — neither of which I can make sense of.
17. AMUNDSEN – ND (North Dakota) in AMUSE (divert) + N (pole)
20. BLENDER – B (second) + LENDER (person supplying money)
21. ENZYME – anagram of ZEN + M (number) in YE (solvers)
23. OWNER – O (old) + anagram of NEW + R (right)