Guardian 24,524/Rufus

Posted by Andrew on October 20th, 2008

Andrew.

No difficulties here, apart from the ones I made for myself by initially guessing SUBSTITUTE for 3dn. A nice gentle start to the week from Rufus.

Key:
dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
* = anagram
< = reverse

1. COLOURS dd – to “colour” a story is to “embroider” it
5. CHICAGO CHIC A GO
9. MOUND (MUD ON)*
10. NOURISHED (HE IS ROUND)*
11. OSCAR WILDE OS (=outsize) + WILD in CARE
12. TSAR (A ST)< + R. Trivia of the day: the word “tsar” (or “czar”) is derived from “Caesar”, as is Kaiser.
14. THISTLEDOWN (LOST THE WIND)*
18. TRENDSETTER TREND, SETTER
21. DODO DO + DO, and the dodo is extinct
22. WORDSWORTH dd
25. OVERTAKEN dd
26. DROOP O in DROP
27. SATIETY (YET IT’S A)*
28. RAW DEAL dd
1. COME ON dd
2. LAUNCH dd
3. UNDERSTUDY cd – an understudy may play the part if there’s some emergency involving the main actor (though I believe the person who stands by just in case of emergencies on the day is called a “cover”). I initially had SUBSTITUTE here (e.g. in sport) – the usual problem of cds not leading to a unique answer.
4. SINAI IS< + (IN A)*
5. COUP D’ETAT cd
6. IRIS dd – very easy to spot for those of use who’ve seen flag=iris a thousand times in crosswords, but nice misdirection with “raised”: it has nothing to do with turning words upside down, but just to raising plants in the garden.
7. ADHESION (HAD NOISE)*
8. ORDERING RODE* + RING
13. MERRY WIDOW dd – I’d call The Merry Widow an operetta rather than a musical.
15. ICE HOCKEY cd
16. STUDIOUS STUD IOUS
17. DEAD HEAT cd
19. GROOVE (GO OVER)*
20. CHAPEL CHAP before EL.
23. DONOR DON OR
24. STYE cd – a nice change from references to pigs and eyesores. “By the lash”=”Next to the (eye)lash”

14 Responses to “Guardian 24,524/Rufus”

1. mhl says:

Thanks for the post, Andrew. I particularly enjoyed DEAD HEAT, NOURISHED and STUDIOUS in this crossword…

As a very small point about the post, I think STUDIOUS is meant to be IOU on STUDS rather than STUD + IOUS.

2. Andrew says:

I read STUDIOUS as “Stud IOUs” – a stud being (loosely) a collection of horses, and the IOUs being the money owed.

Once again, Andrew, my reading was the same as yours. OED has ‘stud: a collection of mares kept for breeding; a number of horses [esp racehorses or hunters] kept by one owner’ so – not ‘loosely’ at all! Also, ‘on’ indicates a charade rather than insertion. surely? But, as you say, mhl, a very small point – it’s just that I couldn’t find anything else to comment on!

4. neildubya says:

Am I the only one seeing the text all squashed up to the left-hand side?

5. Andrew says:

Strange: it’s fine in Firefox but IE is indeed squashing it up to the left. Something wrong with my HTML, I suspect – I’ll investigate.

6. Andrew says:

Layout now fixed, I hope. That’ll teach me to try to “improve” my template..

7. mhl says:

Oh, OK – I thought “stud” only meant a single horse rather than a collection of them, but I see now that every dictionary I’ve checked has both meanings apart from the first one I checked (wordnet)…

On the HTML, colspan=”3″ is unnecessary since everywhere else there’s only one cell per row – that might be causing some squashing up to the left.

8. Tom Hutton says:

You are right (of course) Andrew in saying that the Merry Widow is an operetta but surely the lady herself can be described as musical since she sings a lot! Or she did when I recently saw her in an excellent touring version by Scottish Opera.

9. muck says:

Another easy start to the week from Rufus. Other setters might have clued 15dn (ICE HOCKEY) as “A setter gets the push in this”.

10. Phaedrus says:

Would that be fair though, Puck being a setter in the Indie not the Grauniad? Can the solvers really be expected to know the names of the setters in all the newspapers in the world??

11. mhl says:

Phaedrus: Puck is a Guardian setter, although not one whose puzzles appear very frequently – 8 last year and 7 so far this year. Are you thinking of Punk, perhaps?

12. Will says:

I enjoyed DEAD HEAT. But I don’t really understand ‘bowled’ being OVERTAKEN.

13. Jake says:

I’ve been looking at this for a few moments here and there today, along with Glow-worm, and Crux also, I rather like the wit of Rufus and feel satisfied when my solutions fall into place.

This puzzle seems fair, as I’m new, I liked ‘ice hockey’ a classical style from the setter it seems, though every puzzle I’ve attempted from him is rather cool and has some proper nice cluing…

Very clever.

14. Geoff Moss says:

Will

If, in cricket, you have ‘bowled’ you have ‘taken an over’ (an ‘over’ being a spell of six balls delivered by the same bowler).