Guardian 24,525 – Chifonie

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

Quite an enjoyable puzzle with some varied devices. Entertaining and not too difficult.

ACROSS

7 ACROSTIC As the clue said, indeed an acrostic clue

8 THRIVE ha

10 HOPE Cha of HOP (dance) + E (earl)

11 AFTERSHOCK Cha of AFTERS (pudding) + HOCK (wine)

12 INDENT *(tinned)

14 ENORMITY Ins of OR (other ranks) in ENMITY (hatred)

15 REPAST Cha of RE (soldier) Past (gone)

17 AT ODDS Ins of TO (tax officer) in ADDS

20 COLD SNAP Cha of colds (complaints) NAP (drop off)

22 MISSAL Miss (girl) AL (rev of LA, note)

23 BEATITUDES Beat it (skip) UDES *(used)

24 HEEL dd

25 AURORA Ins of OR (gold or yellow) in AURA (atmosphere)

26 ROAD RAGE Ins of A Drag (a Yank) in ROE (eggs)

DOWN

1 SCHOONER dd

2 ROBE Rev of EBOR (Archbishop of York)

3 AT LAST Cha of Atlas (maps) T (time)

4 START OUT Star Tout

5 ARCHIMEDES Ins of CHIME (toll) in ARDES *(dares)

6 AVOCET *(Covet a)

9 CUTTER C (Charlie, B for Bravo) UTTER (to deliver or to say

13 EXPEDITION Cha of EX (old) P (penny) Edition (publication)

16 SANDTRAP Ins of AND in Strap

18 SCAVENGE SC (Scottish leaders) Avenge (retaliate)

19 SPIDER Ins of ID (rev of Diana, little girl) in SPER (Rev of REPS, salesmen) rest for a cue in snooker or billiards, specifically one with legs arched wide and offering several cueing positions;

21 OBELUS *(blouse) dagger-sign (†) used in printing esp in referring to footnotes

22 MISHAP *(his map)

24 HERO HERO (d)

21 Responses to “Guardian 24,525 – Chifonie”

1. Andrew says:

I think 22ac is actually MI + LASS reversed. Interesting though that it can almost be read either way.

2. diagacht says:

Uncle Yap, thank you for another very clear blog.

22ac Got the same answer by a different route: MI (note) + LASS<

23ac SKIP = BEAT IT You must be right but I’m sure about it.

3. Uncle Yap says:

He he he Both of you are correct since the reversal indicator is next to ‘girl’. My solution was correct for the wrong reason.

Now, may I challenge you to tweak the clue so that both the interpretations are correct.

Diagacht: I had the same reservations as you re SKIP = BEAT IT [I'm sure you meant you were NOT sure :-)] I’ve found SKIP with a Transatlantic meaning of ‘to flee [a place]‘ or ‘to leave [a place] hurriedly’ but not as an intransitive verb and so not a synonym for BEAT IT.

5. diagacht says:

Thank you Eileen. I did mean NOT sure. I did not, however, have the grammar worked out; I am pleased to have your explanation.

6. Mort says:

Are we being stupid here? We can’t quite understand 24d. ER for ‘old king’ is fine – is it HO for brave and soldier as the def, or are we on the wrong track?

7. Mort says:

Ignore me – just seen it! :)

8. Rich says:

Does anyone else think that the defs for 12A and 14A were a tad obscure for a Tuesday?

In my ignorance I needed a dictionary to confirm INDENT as order, and ENORMITY as evil. These felt like Thursday or Friday clues to me – I would say Saturday, but the word play on each was reasonably obvious.

Overall a well constructed and enjoyable puzzle! 1A was excellent!

9. conradcork says:

Of course enormity is often misused to mean immensity instead of monstrous wickedness, so to that extent it might look obscure.

OTOH if I had a hot dinner for everything I indented for in my early career, my food budget would be nil.

10. don says:

Also took 22A to be MI + rev LASS, but I always thought the tonic sol-fa was ‘doh’, ‘ray’, ‘me’ … , not ‘mi’.

Failed (miserably)to solve 1A and Uncle Yap’s cryptic explanation didn’t help, so looked up the definition in Chambers. For those as stupid as ‘mi’, an ‘acrostic’ is an acronym: hence, A C(lever) R(hyme) O(r)… etc.

11. mhl says:

Rich, I felt similarly about those two. It’s classic Chifonie, though: easy words with unusual definitions or tough clues. In lots of occasions here it turns out I’d guessed the right answer early on but only worked out why much later…

12. Dave Ellison says:

12ac. Another near miss here. I thought it was “intend” for a while, but couldn’t stretch it to fit “Order”.

23ac Curiously, BEATIT = BEAT IT and BE A TIT!

Conradcork,I agree about ENORMITY. It’s a pet hate of mine the way such words are misused. Other common ones are cusp (used as edge) , parameter and shibboleth (Seth Finkelstein misused it in Read me first in Technology Guardian last week)

13. conradcork says:

Dave, I also hate words misused as their opposite like eschew for ponder over, instead of avoid, and enervated for energised instead of flaked out.

I could go on, but Matron is coming.

14. Dave Ellison says:

I forgotto include BEATIT = BE AT IT, too

15. John says:

Which reminds me of a piece of advice I once received on a writing class –
    “eschew obfuscation”.

My contribution to Pedants’ corner: disinterested for uninterested. I know it’s almost a cliche to mention it – but only because it’s so common!

It’s sad to see that the correct use of a word is regarded as obscure or unusual!

17. mhl says:

conradcork: It’s surely not actually incorrect to use “enormity” to mean “vastness”, is it? According to Chambers it’s from the same root as “enormous”, is listed under that headword and “immenseness or vastness” is the third definition of “enormity” there…

Anyway, I stand by my statement that it’s unusual to hear the word used in the “evil” sense nowadays, although I’m quite happy to admit my ignorance of that meaning before today. It’s always nice to pick up extra bits of pedantry via the crossword, though. :)

Speaking vaguely of which, I’m reminded of this (possibly rather old?) joke:

“Who led the pedants’ revolt?”

“Which Tyler”

18. muck says:

Easiest cryptic for ages, in my opinion, but not complaining. 7ac (ACROSTIC) was brilliant!

19. davidoff says:

Maybe I’m in the next bed to Conradcork; I enjoyed this crossword, but found some of the definitions a bit loose…. does hope=anticipation (10ac), cold snap = bad weather (20ac), tout=tipster (4dn), dispatch=expedition (13d) and strap=tie (16dn)?

20. Stas says:

For 24a, the wordplay is Herod without the ‘d’, right? How exactly does ‘detailed’ indicate that?

21. Geoff Moss says:

Stas

‘detailed’ = de-tailed (ie with the tail, or last letter, removed)