Independent 6,869/Virgilius – In A State

Posted by Ali on October 21st, 2008

Ali.

A nice, relatively gentle puzzle from Virgilius. There’s a mini-theme of people who share their name with US states, one of whom – 8/12A – got the better of me, largely due to a stupid error on 1D!

1 INDIANA JONES – (JOINED IN AS AN)* – The first of our ‘statespeople’. Good to see Indy back in the Indy following the Crystal Skull puzzle which I had the pleasure of blogging a few months back
8/12 VIRGINIA WADE – VIRGIN + A WAD in IE – Statesperson No.2. Having entered ISADORA for 1D, I was always going to struggle to get this, and eventually conceded defeat. A very good clue though
9 DEBAR – Hidden in traDE BARrier
10 NO-BALL – NOB,ALL – ref. cricket
11 HANDRAIL – HAND,RAIL – RAIL is a wading bird
13 DIPHTHONGS – A diphthong is two vowel sounds pronounced as one syllable, thus au in Paul and eo in George
16/7 WASHINGTON IRVING – Statesperson No.3, ref. first US pres George WASHINGTON and actor manager Henry IRVING
24 EXODUS – ref. The Bible and the 60s film
27 ADHESIVE TAPE – (AT SPEED I HAVE)*
1 ISIDORA – IS,(RADIO)* – Not ISADORA!
2 DEGRADE – D,(AGREED)*
3 ANNELIDAN – ANNE,LID,AN
4 AWASH – A,WAS,[-noa]H
5 OLDEN – [-g]OLDEN
6 EMBARGO – MBA in ERGO
15/21 TENNESSEE WILLIAMS – Statesperson No.4
17 AKIMBOKIM in A,B,O
19/25 GEORGIA BROWN – Statesperson No.5. Georgia Brown was an English Jazz singer, named after the song ‘Sweet Georgia Brown’, aka The Harlem Globetrotters song!
20 SHUTEYE – (THEY USE)* – Nice anagram
22 ANNIE – Even letters of bArN oN fIrE
23 SAUDI – S,AUDI

9 Responses to “Independent 6,869/Virgilius – In A State”

1. Colin Blackburn says:

Excellent puzzle. I didn’t make your mistake with 1dn but at the same time I didn’t enter it for a while. I was convinced ISIDORA didn’t exist and so waited until I had all the checking letters before relenting.

Temporary failings: Trying to find a state to fit the checking letters in 27ac. Trying to fit IF into 17dn!

2. nmsindy says:

Excellent puzzle, from Virgilius, as ever, and rarely if ever ‘a loose end’ to be debated. An extraneous TINTERN seems to have crept into the blog.

3. Testy says:

I’m still puzzled as to the Greek reference in 1d.

4. Ali says:

Oops, cheers Niall, have removed TINTERN. I always use an old blog as the template for the one I’m writing, so I knew that an extra answer would creep in one day!

5. Geoff Moss says:

Testy

Check the list of first names in Chambers. Isidora is the feminine of Isidore which is a Greek name, perhaps meaning ‘gift of Isis’.

6. Fletch says:

A most enjoyable puzzle, and possibly my fastest ever solving time!

7. Al Streatfield says:

Nice puzzle. The one that held me up was OLDEN. I still don’t fully understand it. What was a “Golden” parachute?

8. Geoff Moss says:

Al
    According to Chambers, a ‘golden parachute’ is ‘an unusually lavish cash payment to a senior member of a firm on his or her dismissal following a takeover’.

In other words, similar to a golden goodbye or golden handshake only larger.

9. abw says:

i was thrown a bit as, early on, i confidently put in as well (a swell) for 10 across !!