Posted by Ciaran McNulty on October 27th, 2008
Quite tricky for a Monday, in my opinion. A minor theme of -ee suffixes (9A, 12A, 30A, 17D, 18D) and the little square of three-letter words around the centre was quite interesting.
Lots of unfamiliar words (1A, 29A etc) but most had an obvious etymology so were solvable after a guess and a quick peek in the dictionary.
I’d rather not spoil it as it’s an ongoing prize, but one of the clues might seem quite familiar to those who did yesterday’s Everyman.
(X) = insertion
(x) = removal
< = reversal
* = anagram
dd = double definition
“” = homophone
1. ABNEGATED. AB(GEN<)ATED.
9. ASTUTE. AS + TUTE(e)
10. GROSGRAIN. GRO(S.)G + RAIN. A corded ribbon.
11. CANCEL. C. CLEAN*.
12. MORTGAGEE. ATMGEORGE*.
13. TITIAN. TIT(I)AN.
17. GET. dd
19. OVERUSE. O + VER(U)SE.
21. ETA. ET A(l). ‘Character of timon’ as a general way of saying ‘greek character’ is unconvincing.
23. SARTOR. S(ART)OR(t).
28. ODESSA. (p)ASSED O <.
29. TACTUALLY. T + ACTUALLY.
30. ENTREE. I can’t decide between the whole thing being “EN TRAY” or if ‘in french’=EN and plane=TRAY.
31. DISSIDENT. DI(S + SIDE)NT. ‘Dint’ is a slightly archaic ‘dent’.
2. BORZOI. B (ORZO) 1.
3. ERSATZ. tigERS AT Zoo.
4. AIR BAG. dd, reference to bagpipes.
5. EVIL EYE. LIVE < + “I”. ‘Upset’ to indicate reversal took a while to spot.
6. ESTAMINET. ESTA(MINE)T(e). A small french cafe.
7. PUNCTILIO. UNPOLITIC*
8. REPLENISH. HEPILSNER*
14. ZOOSPORES. (SO OZ. <) + PORES.
15. GEORGETTE. serGE OR GET TErry.
16. AUTOPSIED. APITEOUSD*
17. GEE. The first letter of Grey.
18. TEA. “TEE”.
22. TSUNAMI. UNITSAM*.
24. WRITES. “RIGHTS”
25. ONWARD. ON WARD.
26. TEFLON. cd, but a bit weak.