Guardian 24,531 – Paul

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

What a nostalgic trip down memory lane as I became aware of pop music during the 60’s when Cliff Richards vied with The King and The Fab Four for our attention. And in between were such luminaries as The Animals, The Rolling Stones, Credence Clearwater Revival, Herman’s Hermits, etc etc. All themed songs marked with *

P/S After reading all the helpful comments, I have edited out all the errors and rough edges

9 TEARAWAYS This kind of clues are devilish and it is only with checking letters that you see the connection with away (on hoilday) and tear (blub)
10 TOWER dd
11 MERIT M (male) + ERIT (rev of tire, weary) desert3
n anything that is deserved; claim to reward; merit.
12 TRAVERSED Ins of VERSE (stanza) in TRAD (traditional jazz)
13 SISTINE Cha of SIS (sister, relative) TIN (can) E (first letter of evangelise)
*14 GET BACK First of The Beatles songs featured
17 ORLOP OR (odd letters from fOuR) LOP (cut) the lowest deck in a ship
*19,6A LET IT BE The status quo
20 ENDUE ha
21 TAVERNA Ins of A V (flying formation) in TERN (bird) + A  In Greece, a type of guesthouse with a bar, popular as holiday accommodation; a Greek restaurant.
*22 SHE SAID SHE SAID Ins of HE (man) in SS (aboard ship) AID’s (or HELP’s, answer to 27) HE’s (man’s) AID (HELP)
*24 SOMETHING It is something, isn’t it?
26 THIGH Cha of T (time) HIGH (off or rotting) and we know the thigh is below the waist where you wear the belt
28 CEDAR rha
29 STONEWALL Ins of ONE W (single wicket) in STALL (block) (in cricket) by batting extremely defensively.

1 ITEM Rev of MET (came together) I
*3 DAY TRIPPER Ins of AY (yes) T (thumb initially) in DRIPPER (leaking tap)
*4,2 I AM THE WALRUS *(White Album as minus B plus R)
5 ESCARGOT Cha of E (English) SCAR (mark) GOT (achieved)
*7,13 TWIST AND SHOUT One of those reversed anagram clues where thousand is annie of “and shout” with “twist” as annie indicator
8 ARID Cha of A (first of August) RID (clear)
15 THE BEATLES Ins of T (last letter of contracT) in ALE (bitter) to form ATLE which is then inserted into THEBES (old city)
16 KNEAD Homophone for NEED (poverty) A bloomer is also a longish crusty loaf of white bread with rounded ends and a number of slashes across the top
*18 LOVE ME DO Love (nothing or damn all) MEDO (c) a French wine produced in the district of Medoc, department of Gironde.
19 LEAFIEST Cha of LEA (synonym for field) FIE (field minus 40%) ST (street)
22 SIGNOR Ins of G (last letter of translatinG) in Sino (of Chinese) R (rex or king) Equivalent of Mister in Italy
23 ANIMAL Rev of Lamina (a thin plate)
24 SACK dd
25 TURN dd
*27 HELP She loves you, yeah yeah yeah

16 Responses to “Guardian 24,531 – Paul”

1. Andrew says:

Thanks again for a nice blog, Uncle Yap. Another very enjoyable puzzle from Paul.

Just a couple of points:
    Your definition of “Taverna” seems to have got attached to the wrong clue.

16dn – I think this is KNEAD, as a “bloomer” is a certain kind of loaf of bread.

24ac – Not sure I understand your comment: “Something” is a Beatles song, and it’s defined by a reference to ITEM in 1ac.

What a treat! [Whatever shall we do while Paul’s in Brazil?]

I just loved 7,13.

BTW, there were two ‘old cities’
    [we usually expect ‘UR’] called Thebes: one, the home of Oedipus, in Boeotia, and the other on the Nile, the capital of Upper Egypt.

I agree with Andrew re 16dn.

Re what we learn from crosswords: I’d never have known ‘orlop’ without having come across it half a dozen times in puzzles.

3. Mort says:

What a change in difficulty after yesterday! Both a lot of fun, but for very different reasons. Thank you, Mr. Stephenson. :)

4. Mort says:

And thank you Uncle Yap, I ought to add.

I’ve just noticed, re-reading Uncle Yap’s blog, shouldn’t the clue for 19dn read ‘…60% of which…’?

6. Andrew says:

Yes, I just noticed that too: there’s no indication to _remove_ the 40% as far as I can see.

7. mhl says:

I thought 40% was probably a mistake as well…

This was an excellent theme in that it doesn’t completely give away the answers (since there are so many Beatles songs) but they’re all familiar once you’ve got them.

My favourites here were LOVE ME DO, SHE SAID SHE SAID, TWIST AND SHOUT and the theme clue itself.

I thought the weakest was TEARAWAYS (which I still can’t quite make work in my head). Similarly to Eileen, ORLOP and MERIT were only possible for me thanks to past crosswords. :)

Anyway, this was an excellent puzzle and thanks to Uncle Yap for a comprehensive blog post, as ever.

Mhl; I read 9ac as AWAY ‘in tears’, [blubbing]

9. mhl says:

Ah, right, hence the question mark. Thank you – I take it back. :)

10. conradcork says:

Not easy if you don’t know any Beatles songs. :-(

11. Fletch says:

Gosh, you must be very young Conrad!

12. conradcork says:

Au contraire Fletch. I ken very well *who* they are/were (I even used to perform in the Cavern in the preb ‘Fab Three and Ringo’ era, when it was a jazz venue.) I just don’t know any of their stuff, even by name.

13. Speckled Jim says:

Much better than yesterday’s (no pun intended). Thanks for explaining 7 – I got the song but had no idea why it fitted.

I agree with the comments on 40% vs 60% – very misleading.

Also; wouldn’t you get “mderit” for 11, as weary is an adjective?

Speckled Jim

You may be surprised to hear me say that weary can be a verb! Both weary and tire can be used transitively or intransitively, i.e. to make or become weary / tired.

15. Qaos says:

I also agree with the comments – an excellent and fun crossword (if you knew songs, of course). But someone on the crossword desk really should have swapped Monday’s and Tuesday’s.

For 19dn, I managed to convince myself that LEAFIE was 40% of “MOST VERDANT FIELD”, with the “over” in the clue being to mix up. It is if you squint to turn 16 chars into 15 :-).

16. Garry says:

Haha. Has the clock not been put back on this site – it’s not 4pm GMT yet? I loved 4,2 down. The joy of (almost) coincidental anagrams!