Financial Times 12,911 by Satori

Posted by Gaufrid on October 29th, 2008

Gaufrid.

I cannot say I particularly enjoyed today’s puzzle, partly because there are two clues (1a and 3d) that I can’t fully explain. I will continue to work on these though I am not optimistic that I will get much further.

Edit: I have now parsed 3d and resolved 1a.

1 COMPARABLE  COM[edy] PARABLE – at this stage I can only assume that the definition is ‘fit’ which could equate with ‘match’ and therefore ‘comparable’ but this does not account for the ‘to be pronounced’. The latter could be a homophone indicator but there is no need for one.
Edit: ‘to be pronounced’ is a homophone indicator. Checking Chambers has revealed a different pronunciation for ‘com’ in ‘comedy’ and ‘compare’.
7 DUCK  dd
9 AGAR  AGA R – ‘R’ as an abbreviation for ‘Royal’ is given in Collins but not Chambers or COED
10 CHELTENHAM  CHE (revolutionary) N (new) in *(HAMLET) – a racecourse
11 INTERN  homophone of ‘in turn’ (one after another)
12 CREVASSE  REV ASS in CE
13 ACAPULCO  A CAPUL[et] CO – ‘and’ in Latin is ‘et’
15 TACT  hidden reversal in ‘faT CATs’
17 USER  US[h]ER
19 PROTRUDE  ROT in PRUDE
22 ELDORADO  *(LAD RODE) O
25 CHATELAINE  C[lasses] HATE A in LINE
26 TIED  *(DIET)
27 URGE  hidden in ‘foUR GEars’
28 CRENELLATE  NELL in CREATE – to provide with battlements

2 ORGANIC  *(IN CARGO) – ‘structural’ is one of the definitions for ‘organic’ in Chambers
3 PARSE  – another one I’m struggling to explain. The definition ‘resolve sentence’ is clear enough but ‘these 14′? ‘Par’ is part of the answer to 14d and ‘parse’ is a homophone of ‘pars’ but otherwise I just cannot see how this clue works.
Edit: 14d is ‘par for the’ so ‘of these 14? becomes ‘of these par for the’ which means replace ‘the’ in ‘these’ with ‘par’ to give ‘parse’.
4 RECENTLY  CENT in RELY
5 BREACH OF PROMISE  cd
6 ENTREE  -’AINTREE’ with ‘AI’ changed to ‘E’
7 DONCASTER  DON CASTER – the racecourse where the St Leger (the oldest ‘classic’ race) takes place
8 CLASSIC  C[hap] LASS IC
14, 23 PAR FOR THE COURSE  PAR[r] FOR THE COURSE
16 CONCRETE  CO *(CENTRE)
18 SULPHUR  PLUS reversed HUR[t]
20 DESSERT  TRESSED reversed
21 GARLIC  – ‘GALLIC’ with the initial ‘L’ changed to ‘R’
24 UNTIL  [ja]UNTIL[y]

14 Responses to “Financial Times 12,911 by Satori”

1. Fletch says:

3d, I don’t think parse and pars would sound alike, the S sound is different.

2. Octofem says:

Hi Gaufrid – Could 3d read: ‘of these 14′ -the genitive ‘par’s’ ?
    As to 1a, I presumed Satori simply meant – say ‘half of comedy’ plus ‘parable’ and you’ve said the answer.
    Fletch – I can’t hear anything different when I say the two words!

3. Fletch says:

I bet you have a regional accent, Octofern!

4. Octofem says:

Well, there is certainly a trace of Geordie to be detected. So which word doesn’t have the ‘z’ sound? I know I used to get ‘greasy’ wrong!!!!

5. Octofem says:

PS Have just looked up pronunciation of ‘Parse’ online. Both the ‘s’s sound and ‘z’ sound are given. Miriam-Webster gives the ‘Z’ as mainly British! Well, that I certainly am.

6. Fletch says:

Parse is like farce, pars is like bars.

7. Octofem says:

Well, in all the long years of my schooling, no teacher ever asked me to ‘parce’ a sentence. Would be interested to know experience of others.

8. Fletch says:

I’ve just checked two dictionaries Octofern and the z sound’s given preference, you’re right!

Well well, I’ve been pronouncing it wrong all these years!

9. Gaufrid says:

Sorry Fletch but I agree with Octofem. COED gives the pronunciation as ‘parz’ as does Chambers. Chambers does state ‘also pars’ but I have never heard the word pronounced this way.

10. Gaufrid says:

3d Solved!!!

14d is ‘par for the’ so ‘of these 14′ becomes ‘of these par for the’ which means replace ‘the’ in ‘these’ with ‘par’ to give ‘parse’.

11. Octofem says:

That’s a relief, Fletch. I was beginning to doubt myself or think you were perhaps American. One would think that the setter had used my pronunciation.
    Congratulations, Gaufrid, on deciphering the complicated thinking in 3d. You would never have settled to your afternoon nap with it unresolved!

12. Gaufrid says:

Thanks to all this talk about pronunciation I have now been able to resolve 1a. There is a need for a homophone indicator according to the pronunciation indicated in Chambers.

13. Testy says:

1A could the definition actually be “Fit to be pronounced like” i.e. if something is comparable with something else then it is fit to be proclaimed as being like it.

14. Gaufrid says:

Thanks for the suggestion Testy. I did consider something along similar lines when I originally solved the puzzle but couldn’t justify it at the time.