Guardian 24,532/Orlando

Posted by Andrew on October 29th, 2008

Andrew.

Quite a gentle one today after Brendan’s toughie on Monday, and maybe it suffers in comparison to Paul’s Beatlefest yesterday, but some nice clues here, though as ever I have a couple of nitpicks.

Key:
dd = double definition
* = anagram
< = reverse

1. ANCESTRAL LANCASTER*
6. ASCOT A SCOT. The Ascot was popular in the late 19th and early 20th century. I’d never heard of it.
9. ADLER LE(ss) in A DR. Alfred Adler was one of the founders of psychoanalysis.
10. TOOTHSOME TOOTH SOME. Not a very exciting clue.
11. DOMINATION A T(ory) in DOMINION. Again not very satisfactory, as “dominion” and “domination” are so similar in meaning and etymology.
12. OKRA OK RA. A popular word for crosswords, meaning I put it in immediately and saw the simple wordplay afterwards.
14. BRIDGET BRIDGE (where sea captains belong) + T(roops).
15. ANDOVER (h)AND OVER
17. NONPLUS “Non plus” is French for “no longer”, so it’s “no longer translated” – nice one.
19. CEMENTS EM (middle of novEMber) in CENTS.
20. HYMN Homophone of “him”.
22. CANAANITES (ANCIENT AS A)*
25. AUSTRALIA A L in AUSTRIA. Clever misdirection here – Australia is a Commonwealth.
26. EATEN Homophone of “Eton” (College).
27. KLIMT MILK< + (se)T. Gustav Klimt, Austrian symbolist painter.
28. WHITE ANTS WHIT + (A NEST)*
1. AWARD WARD after A
2. COLOMBIAN CO(u)LOMB + (A in IN).
3. STRONG GALE (ANGLERS GOT)*
4. RAT-A-TAT R followed by A(partmen)T three times
5. LEONORA (ALONE OR)*. Beethoven wrote three overtures, called Leonora numbers 1, 2 and 3, for his opera Fidelio (which was itself originally called Leonora). For the final version he wrote yet another overture (called Fidelio).
6. ACHE AC + EH<
7. CLOCK dd – as in “50,000 miles on the clock”
8. THESAURUS HE’S in TAURUS. “Roget” here refers to the thesaurus itself rather than its compiler.
13. ADAM AND EVE dd – rhyming slang for “believe”
14. BENCHMARK CH in BEN, MARK
16. VINGT-ET-UN dd – easy to get from the clue and enumeration, but “French count” is rather a feeble definition, I thought.
18. SWALLOW dd. I was trying to justify SPARROW to myself here before I got 25ac, thinking maybe it was another slang word for believe, as in 13dn.
19. CHAPATI CHA PAT I
21. MASAI (AS I AM)*
23. SINUS Hidden – I don’t remember seeing “bridge” used in this way before: I think it works OK as meaning a bridge across the words.
24. FRET RE in FT

18 Responses to “Guardian 24,532/Orlando”

Thanks, Andrew, for some needed explanations.

I’d not heard of an Ascot, either, nor to my shame, of Coulomb. I also interpreted ‘apartment’ in 4dn as ‘flat’ – but couldn’t make ‘empty’ work!

I badly wanted 20ac to be ITMA, especially after I got the ‘M’: most people will be too young to remember this but, when I was a child, there was a radio programme called ITMA, introduced by the song It’s That Man Again, starring Tommy Handley. It all fitted so well!

I agree with you about DOMINATION and VINGT-ET-UN

2. Ian Stark says:

It’s been a day or two (at least!) since I last completed the Guardian crossword without needing to refer to the books for confirmation. I enjoyed this short single sitting but I’m at a loss as to what to do when I take a break later this morning. Oh yes, the archives! What a shame there isn’t a printable version of archived crosswords pre-September ’08.

Particlarly satisfied with 13d, 28a and 17a and generally I thought the whole collection was pleasing (with a nod of agreement to Andrew’s comments).

3. Rich says:

Nice blog Andrew!

We feel that vingt-et-un and domination are a tad weak as well, but overall a very enjoyable puzzle with some great misdirection!

4. don says:

I thought it was a clever crossword and, like Ian, enjoyed it.

28A ‘Flies away’ slowed me down until I got letters from the other answers.

Can’t see anything wrong with ‘okra’, nor ‘French count’ for ‘vignt-et-un’ – except that it’s a foreign language AGAIN. ‘Non plus’ = ‘no longer’ was worse! At least ‘vignt-et-un’ is a game one may reasonably be expected to have heard of rather than an, albeit simple, translation. If you eat bhindi bhajis then ‘okra’ would be familiar, but then some haven’t heard of Coulomb ;-)!

What I think’s objectionable is the constant slur by many setters. not just Orlando, that each and every Londoner/Cockney drops their aitches to give ‘Andover’. Should, therefore, 13D have been ‘Adam an’ Eve’?

5. Chas & Dave says:

Yeah, sa flamin’ outrage, innit?! ‘Orribly ‘orrendous.

6. Richard says:

Ian, have I misunderstood? I regularly print off much older crosswords when I’m going away somewhere. I think they go back quite a few years. Or was the ’08 a misprint?

Am I alone in finding 9ac (Adler) very satisfying as a clue, irrespective of how easy or difficult it was?

Richard: I was on the point of rushing out when I posted my comment. I meant to say that I really liked 9ac, too [and 5dn, 6dn - and 27ac, which was nicely misleading.]

8. John says:

Don: Where does “flies away” come into 28ac?

9. Andrew says:

John: I think Don means he guessed FLIES AWAY as the answer (as a dd) for 28ac.

And again I put my hands up to an intuitive solution. I’m with Don in immediately thinking of ‘flies away’, before entering any down solutions – obviously influenced by yesterday’s ‘tearaways’.

But, Don, I don’t think Andrew was saying there was anything wrong with OKRA.

11. Ian Stark says:

Richard, you have caused me to take another look at the archive section – and in doing so have made me a very ‘appy chappie (sorry, Don, couldn’t resist).

I hadn’t looked at the ‘format’ drop down list.

Many, many thanks.

12. don says:

John: ‘insects’ = ‘flies’, ‘on holiday’ = ‘away’. Hence ‘having abandoned the nest’= ‘flown away’. Wrong tense, wrong answer, but the ‘i’ at the end of ‘chapati’ helped to lead me astray until I put in the letters at the ends of the other down answers.

I thought 14A was brilliantly worded. Obvious when you have the answer, but easily misleading. I was looking for a body of troops that began with a ‘C’, in place of which I could put an ‘S’ or ‘St’ to give me a female.

Eileen, OK Right, Apologies!

Don: you and I seem to have been on the same kind of wavelength today. I had similarish thoughts about 14ac.

As has been said, some clever misdirections. Thanks, Orlando!

14. Shed says:

Re 17A, I’m surprised no one has pointed out that the French for ‘no longer’ is ‘ne … plus’, not ‘non plus’. ‘Non plus’ means ‘either’, as in ‘il ne parle pas français non plus’, ‘he doesn’t speak French either’. ‘He no longer speaks French’ is ‘il ne parle plus français’.

15. Ian Stark says:

Shed,

17a: I thought the same, but to justify the clue I read ‘non’ and ‘plus’ as separate words rather than a phrase. I suppose you could argue that ‘plus’ means ‘more’ rather than ‘longer’, but even so I thought this was a fun clue.

16. Frances says:

27a: Please can someone explain why “setback” results in “t”.

17. Andrew says:

T is the end or “back” of SET – strict Ximeneans would disapprove.

18. Frances says:

Of course! Thanks Andrew. I’d even resorted to “T-sets” in trying to understand this.