Posted by Octofem on October 30th, 2008
Plenty to think about today. The answers came fairly quickly but not always the explanations. 30a misled
me for a few minutes – I trust I now have it right. Likewise 31a. No obvious theme but there is a fair amount of Eastern promise and a couple of animals.
1. LOCUST – (‘lust’ around ‘oRDINARY.cITY’ – locusts formed one of the plagues of Egypt.).
4. KEYBOARD – (‘key’ [vital -' board' Thanks to Geoff for this correction from 'Pegboard'. Silly me!))
9. ISRAEL - ( * i learNs - 'n' removed as end of TRADITIOn)
10. NAGASAKI - (cd - nag a Saki. SAKI was the pen name of Hector Hugh Monroe, a master
of short story writing at turn of the 19/20th century.)
12. BRUSH OFF - (bISHOP-rush off. if you give someone the brush-off you dismiss them)
13. UPSHOT - ( up-shot. If you appear before a magistrate you are 'up' before the bench.
a motion picture is 'shot' or 'filmed'.)
15. CHAD - ('hOT' within 'cad')
16. GAZELLE - ( gaze-ll-eNGLISH)
20. QUALITY - ( 'quay' around 'lit' as in 'The butterfly lit on a rose.')
21. TOFU - (first letters of tHING oRIENTAL fOODIES uSE)
25. OCCUPY - (o-c-cup-y)
26. PROLIFIC -(prolE-if-i-c. 'Prole' is a term for worker or member of the working class)
28. BOUNDARY - ( the inevitable cricket clue. A boundary counts for four runs)
29. INJURE - ( in -jurY-CASe)
30. TRESPASS - (Tres- p- as-s. 'Tres'[with grave accent]- French (spoken in Nancy, Lorraine) for very -
‘ p’ for quiet – as [when] -sECOND. This held me up for a while as I pursued
ladies called Nancy and effeminate gentlemen!)
31. RANDOM – ( Again I tried ‘romany’ and ‘nomad’ but believe it is simply ‘an – d’ within ‘rom’.)
1. LAID BACK – (‘ l-aid- ‘back’ – football position.)
2. CAROUSAL – ( ‘usa’ within ‘carol’ . ‘carousal’ definition: ‘a noisy revel, drinking bout.’
3. SEETHE -(‘ see-t-h-IS eXCELLENCY’. Not too happy about ‘see’ for ‘escort’ although an usher
sees someone to a seat.)
5. EVAN – (L-evan-T. The place where the sun rises,i.e. The East, as well as the Mediterranean area
given this name)
6. BEANPOLE – ( *open lab-eUROPEAN)
7. APATHY – ( a-pat-hOSTELRy)
8. DAINTY – ( da-in-Sty. fastidiously neat)
11. AFFABLE – (a-ff-able)
14. TEXTURE- (text-ure (Text as now used for writing message on mobile phone + river in Yorkshire.
The feel of a fabric etc.)
17. PUMPED UP -( pp [Public prosecutor] around u-mp-*due)
18. CONFOUND – ( co-n-f-o-und)
19. SUN CREAM – (* cruise man- without ‘i’)
22. WOMBAT- (‘womb-<TA’ – Womb where life is created, TA – territorial army.
a wombat is a short-legged marsupial)
23. SCOUSE – ( s-c-ouse. Pickle as in soused herring. Amusing after yesterday’s
discussion of regional accents!!!
24. GLINKA- (g-link-a – Mikhael Glinka,influential Russian composer. There is a music prize named after
him. Past winners have included Boridin and Rimsky-Korsakov.)
27. EROS – (hidden in Hero=sHUNNING. Greek love-God)