Guardian 24,543 – Pasquale

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

This delightful puzzle reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock, that cinematographic story-teller who was noted for his on-screen personal appearance in all his films. Today, Mr Don Manley made a few personal appearances. As usual, his many devices challenges, amuses, tickles and entertains.

1 SECEDE Ins of CE (Church of England) & D (first letter of develop) in SEE (diocese)
4 SHRIMP The clue totally stumped me. I know the answer must be shrimp (slang for a very puny person) but I could not understand the wordplay
9 DAUB Ins of U (university) in DAB (expert)
10 BILL OF FARE Ins of ILL (bad) & OFF (rotten) in BARE (Spartan)
11 CLARET Cha of Clare (a Cambridge college) T (tons)
12 HILARITY Ins of IT (clued as what one wants so take your pick from  an indefinable crowning quality, personal magnetism; sex appeal, sexual intercourse or activity) in Hilary (Spring term at Oxford)
13 SPICE RACK *(crisp cake)
15 WIND dd (He’s so full of wind/bull)
16 KERB How did the compiler conspire with the type-setter to hide this hidden answer in two lines?
17 ANDRE GIDE *(reading) + DE (rev of EDitor) André Paul Guillaume Gide (1869-1951) was a French author and winner of the Nobel Prize in literature in 1947
21 FORAMINA Cha of For AMIN (remember Idi Amin, last King of Scotland?) A (ARE minus RE, indicated by about to be blocked off)
22 GALLEY Gallery minus R (right) the first proof taken after text has been typeset (traditionally from type on a galley) and before it is made up into pages
24 EASTBOURNE *(To be sure an) a seaside town on the south coast of England
25 POLE dd
26 LISBON Cha of L (pound) IS bon (good abroad e.g. in France)
27 MADDEN Ins of ADD (tot) in MEN (blokes)

1 SHALLOP Ins of ALL (everything) in SHOP (store) a heavy fore-and-aft-rigged boat; a dinghy; a small or light boat.
2 CABER Ins of BE in ACR (vehicle) a heavy pole, generally the trimmed trunk of a tree, which is held upright and tossed or hurled by athletes at Highland games (linked to 25Across POLE)
3 DEBATER Ins of BAT (club) in DEER (beast)
5 HOOPLA Ins of OP (work) in HOL (e) + A. Fairground game in which small hoops are thrown over prizes
6 INFORMING Read this as In for Ming (Sir Walter Menzies Campbell CBE QC (born 22 May 1941), commonly known as Ming Campbell, was Leader of the Liberal Democrats from 2 March 2006 until 15 October 2007 and you should understand the clue
7 PIRATED Cha of PI (short for pious or good) Rated (thought highly of)
8 ALPHA CENTAURI *(A true chaplain) brightest star in Centaurus; second nearest star to the sun
14 CERVANTES Ins of VAN (tennis scorer’s abbreviation for advantage) in CERTES (yes, there is such a word, albeit archaic, meaning certainly or truly) and of course, we all know that author of Don Quixote a la Mancha (yet another of Mr Manley’s many guises)
16 KNOW ALL sounds like NO (h) ALL
18 RIG VEDA *(Grade VI) Hindu holy book
19 DWELL ON Ins of WELL (in good shape) in DON (Manley, the persona behind such delightful compilers as Pasquale, Quixote and Bradman) If you are reading, Mr Manley, I have a copy of Chambers Crossword Guide printed in 1995 by Chancellor Press attributed to Don Manly … is this is a 7Down edition of your book? or did you once had a macho name?
20 KIMONO Cha of K (king) I (one) MONO (monochrome or black and white)
23 LIPID Cha of LIP (cheek) ID (I had)

39 Responses to “Guardian 24,543 – Pasquale”

Hi Uncle Yap.

Jean Shrimpton was a model in the 1960s – SHRIMPTON less ‘ton, ‘fashion’ gives SHRIMP.

Yes, a very entertaining puzzle – and great to see Mr Manley’s TV programme last evening!

2. Andrew says:

Thanks for the blog Uncle Yap – nice to see Pasquale today after his appearance on the very enjoyable programme on BBC4 last night.

4ac is a reference to the former model Jean SHRIMPTON, lacking TON (=fashion)

3. Andrew says:

Snap!

4. Matthew says:

In 19d, I don’t think that Pasquale is unreasonable enough to expect us to know his real name. However, it is surely not a coincidence that each of Pasquale, Quixote and Bradman is a Don.

5. Pasquale says:

That MANLY book was a cheapo sanctioned by someone at Chambers without the knowledge of the boss there — I found it in Newquay and went up the wall, subsequently getting a profuse apology. You can now of course buy a 4th (2006) edition in hardback or paperback.

I came out of hospital after 13 days yesterday where I’d read the proofs of today’s puzzle I am now fine, thanks and escaped just in time to see the BBC4 programme, which I though they made a terrific job of

Best wishes to all
    Don

6. smutchin says:

12ac – I thought the “it” referred to “fun is what one wants”, as in: the definition ["fun"] is what you want when solving a crossword.

16ac – I spotted “kerb” despite the line break and guessed it had to be the answer, but I’ve never heard of a kerb market. You learn something new every day.

Really enjoyed the programme last night, though it didn’t make solving today’s puzzle any easier. Good to put some faces to the names – not only Pasquale but Rufus too. And after seeing the programme, I feel slightly bad for ever having complained about a crossword clue!

7. Andrew says:

I thought Val Gilbert’s “I’ve sacked the compiler” story was hilarious.

Nancy Banks – Smith has an unusually long and appreciative review of the programme in G2 today. She’s evidently one of us.

[Only 'slightly' bad, Smutchin? So that doesn't mean you're never going to complain again?]

9. Andrew says:

Thanks for the tip, Eileen. The review is also on the Guardian web site:

- though she wrongly attributes the remark about (BRITNEY SPEARS)* = PRESBYTERIANS being “a cause for rejoicing” to Azed: I think it was actually Don M.

And is it really true (as Val Gilbert said in the programme) that double entendres only exist in English and French? It seems hard to believe.

10. smutchin says:

Eileen, I won’t make promises I might not be able to keep! I loved the “I’ve sacked the compiler” story, though.

11. smutchin says:

Andrew, I also thought that was a slightly odd comment about double entendres. I just did a quick google for “German homophones” and found an interesting article that contains the following:
    Homophones are also a source of puns. The German band Rammstein is noted for its use of homophones in the lyrics for songs such as ‘Du hast’ — which uses the homophones ‘hast and ‘hasst’.

I’ve just found this on Wikipedia, under ‘Triple entendre’:

“An apocryphal story about Napoleon says that when he attacked Italy, the establishment recognized the futility of resisting and surrendered to his army. However, the peasantry continued to wage guerrilla war, harassing his troops and stealing his supplies. While dining with some Italian aristocrats, Napoleon commented that “All Italians are thieves.” A noble lady present corrected him, stating: “No maestro, non tutti, ma buona parte.”
    The first meaning is the literal translation, appearing to agree: “No sire, not all, but most.”
    The second meaning is: “No sire, not all, but the ‘best’ part” (i.e. those whom you call ‘thieves’ are really the best Italians, the patriots).
    The third meaning insinuates that Bonaparte is the thief (for stealing Italy) and that he is Italian (“No, sir, not all, but Bonaparte”). This meaning is particularly biting, as Napoleon hailed from Corsica, where the French population considered themselves to be superior to the Italian population.”

13. Dave Ellison says:

Enjoyed this one, pleased I managed it without recourse to the “cheat books”.

How about the following for a triple-entendre about the weather:

A grade-A grey day. Great, eh?

14. Dave Ellison says:

Also, the following for a “7-entendre”, when pronounced with the help of a foreign accent:

cheap, cheep, chief, sheaf, sheep, ship, chip

Anyone know any longer ones?

15. Andrew says:

For a (sort of) 8 see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

16. Dave Ellison says:

And, I think there are 4 “entendres” in the following, one of them not being entirely PC:

“Oriental stunner gives a good bang?” (7, 7)

or 5, if extended to,

“Oriental stunner gives a good bang, takes the biscuit”

17. Dave Ellison says:

Yes, I like that, Andrew. There is also “The Story of Esau Wood” – google this exactly, look at the Cooking Humour; and whilst there be sure to read the Joke at Humor7-01.htm about Esau Wood.

I really must cease now and get on with some real work.

18. don says:

I believe Pasquale was (initially, in one post) an editor and would be well able to do a character count to get the correct line break. We (Paul and us) collectively used to revel in the Guardian crossword, although we were not much cop at it. We only used tolet Don see our efforts at about 4:30 so that he didn’t ruin a days enjoyment with his instant solutions to every clue.

19. don says:

How about:

cheaps, cheeps, chiefs, sheafs, sheeps, ships, chips

20. Peter Biddlecombe says:

Andrew in comnment 9: The attribution of the Britney Spears / Presbyterians anag to Azed is quite correct – it’s at 1:00 on the iPlayer version. (Don is in the pale blue shirt, Azed in the B/W striped one).

21. Andrew says:

Thanks, Peter – to recover some honour from my memory lapse, there _is_ a mistake there: “Presbyterian” instead of “Presbyterians”. Still, not as bad as the BBC page talking about “Azed of the Times”..

22. JimboNWUK says:

I thought last night’s program was good also but find it a bit rich that Don was at pains to insist that all that was required to solve a cryptic was a “good knowledge of English” and then sticks two obscure references in today’s effort, one an author I had never heard of despite them winning a Nobel prize and the other a reference to a Hindu tract that I also have never heard of. Hmph!

23. Qaos says:

Yes, thanks to Don and the others for the BBC4 program. I also have to thank the BBC for iPlayer too, to be able to watch it this morning over breakfast :-).

Might I point out a possible second solution to 20d. I put “ERMINE” in very early on and managed to get stuck for quite a while until “EASTBOURNE” forced me to correct things. “King has one” = “ER mine”, as well as the nice surface reading. At that point, it was 1-0 to Don …

24. muck says:

18dn RIG VEDA: My Chambers had it only RIGVEDA, but various Google links give them both.

25. mhl says:

The BBC4 programme was a delight – I do hope it encourages some new people to try out cryptic crosswords…

Pasquale: I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been in hospital – best wishes for a speedy recovery, and thanks for the excellent crossword.

26. muck says:

I agree MHL, on both points. If anyone missed it, the programme is being repeated on BBC4 next Sunday (16/11) at 2130: thanks to Geoff Moss for this.

27. John says:

I don’t know any multi entendres; I’m afraid I got lost with the cheep sheep. But I do know a triple pun, about a U.S cattleman whose three boys ran the place for him. When asked why he called the ranch Focus, he explained: “‘Cos it’s “where the sons raise meat”.

28. owenjonesuk says:

Why is fashion TON?

I liked the programme too.

The old joke about how your sex life changes as you get older is a triple entendre. (Tri-weekly, try weekly, try weakly.)

29. Qaos says:

Hi Owenjonesuk, Mhl commented on this a short while ago, which I also found useful:

Mhl on TON

30. owenjonesuk says:

Thanks Qaos.

31. Fletch says:

I always thought the Presbyterians/Britney Spears anagram was attributed to The Guardian’s Paul, no?

32. Paul B says:

That is my understanding also.

33. Smutchin says:

Jimbo, a mild objection to your objections – I feel slightly aggrieved on Andre Gide’s behalf that you consider him obscure! But then he is one of my favourite authors. And while I’d not heard of the Rig Veda either, it was very gettable from the clue.

34. Colin Blackburn says:

Presbyterians = (Britney Spears)* was mentioned in the programme by Azed, that is the attribution being discussed way up there rather than ho originally used it is a crossword.

35. Rufus says:

I always thought I was the first to use the Britney Spears anagram. Val Gilbert, the Telegraph ex-crossword editor, supports this view in her latest book “A Display of Lights” (a clue for “crossword”) about six of the Telegraph setters, although I cannot recall offhand whether my first use was in the Telegraph or the Church Times.

36. Rufus says:

P.S. My first use of the Britney Spears anagram was in the Church Times of January 25th 2002 where it passed relatively unnoticed. I used it later in the Telegraph in 2002 when it provided some readers’ correspondence on the letters page. Should Paul, or anyone else, have used this anagram before the Church Times date I shall be very disappointed to have to apologise!.

37. Colin Blackburn says:

Rufus, just to quote here what you said elsewhere today:

“The Britney Spears anagram was first used by me in the Church Times cryptic puzzle of January 25th 2002.”

38. Colin Blackburn says:

Ah, sorry to appear to replicate your post. It wasn’t here when I posted. Still, it’s such a good anagram it bears repeating!

39. Fletch says:

No, I’m sure Paul used it later than that.

Congratulations on being first to spot it!