Independent 6,888/Dac

Posted by Ali on November 12th, 2008

Ali.

Sorry for the late, quick blog. Busy day! Nice puzzle as always from Dac, some of which I found a little tricky

1 SPRY – [afte]R[noon] in SPY
4 SEAM BOWLER – “SEAM”,BOWLER
9 ROUND THE TWIST
10 CHEETAHS – CHE,(HATES)*
11 EXPAND – EXP,AND
14 CONGREVE – CON,GR,EVE – Poet and playwright William
16 PROCURED – PRO,CURED
19 LAUNCH – L,A,UN,CH
21 NONAGONS – SNOG ANON rev. – A lovely clue
23 OVERNIGHT CASE – (CONGREVE,HAS,IT)*
24 WELL-HEELED – WELL,”HEALED”
2 PURCHASER – PUR[-e],CHASER – Another excellent clue
3 YOU NEVER CAN TELL – A Chuck Berry song. And also a play by George Bernard Shaw
4 SUDRA – Hidden reversal is dockyARD USually
5 APHASIC – A[-l]PHA,SIC
6 BUTTERNUT – BUTTER,NUT
7 WHISPERING GRASS – (G GERSHWINS PARIS)*
13 PERCHANCE – PERCH + N in ACE
15 VOLUNTEER – (LOUT NEVER)*
17 DONEGAL – D,ONE,GAL
20 ADORE – “A DOOR”
22 NOTED – NO,TED

8 Responses to “Independent 6,888/Dac”

1. NealH says:

I’m not quite sure I understood “round the twist”. Obviously, the definition is “crazy” and the twist is a dance, but I wasn’t sure how the “round the” bit was a song.

2. NealH says:

After my third scan of the dictionary, I noticed that a round can be a “canon sung in unison” and “the twist” must be the dance.

3. SteveM says:

Thanks for the blog Ali. For 11a I put ‘expand’ without understanding the wordplay. I get the exp bit, but could anyone explain why principally = and? Also, from 19a, I’ve not come across ‘companion’ to denote ‘ch’ before – what’s the reasoning behind that?

NealH: did you never sing ‘London’s burning’ or ‘Frere Jacques’ as a ’round’?

Steve M: CH is an abbreviation for the title Companion of Honour and often features in crosswords

5. Geoff Moss says:

SteveM
    ‘Principally’ is an indicator that EXP (experience) is put before AND (‘with’ = ‘and’).

6. SteveM says:

Eileen, Geoff – thanks both. That knocking you can hear is the sound of me kicking myself.

7. nmsindy says:

Yes, NONAGONS was great fun. And an excellent Dac puzzle as always.

8. Colin Blackburn says:

I liked “goat’s head” for BUTTER+NUT.