FT 12,924, Set by Aardvark, November 13, 2008

Posted by Octofem on November 13th, 2008

Octofem.

I found some of this puzzle quite tricky, and could not discern anything in the way of a theme.  Sharper minds  may discover one.  The bottom right corner held me up longest, with 17d and 21a the last to be discovered.  Could do with some confirmation on one or two, as mentioned below.

ACROSS

1.    HOWITZER  -(*hero around’ wit – z’ .- the  short barrelled cannon, therefore ‘arm’)
5.    BOXING – ( <ob-xi-ng)
9.    ROSEMARY- ( *oysTer around <ram)
10.   ADVERB – ( *braved. – ‘foolishly’ as example)
12.   U BOAT – ( U-boa-t – boa, a stole usually made of feathers)
13.   LIQUORICE – (‘ liquor’ on ‘ice’, and therefore on the rocks.  Medicines made from the root of this plant)
14.   ESCARP – ( Earp around -sITE, c-ONSTRUCTING. Wyatt Earp, participant in the
                         Gunfight at the OK Corral, and celebrated lawman of the West. ‘ Escarp’ – inner slope
                          of the ditch surrounding  a rampart, or any similar steep slope)
16.   A.A.MILNE – ( *animal + eXPERIMENT. Author who gave us Winnie the Pooh)
19.   HANSARD – ( ‘Hand’ around ‘sar’.  As in ‘He wrote in a fair hand’. Tsar with the head scratched or removed.  Hansard which records the fun and games in parliament.)
21.   CONVOY  – ( envoy, with ‘co’ replacing  ‘e’.  A group of vehicles travelling together.)
23.   PLUS FOURS – ( * foul spurs – old fashioned golfing gear, with bulbous trousers)
25.   SUAVE  – ( ‘save’ around ‘u’ presumably as in U-Bahn, or perhaps ‘u tube’ videos)
26.   ISCHIA – ( isa around chi – Individual  Savings Accounts,and chi, the 22nd letter of the
                       Greek alphabet.  Island off the south coast of Italy)
27.   CAMBRIAN – ( *c-barman -i.  geological period of the Paleozoic Era, 570 to 500 million
                              years ago)
28.   GURKHA – ( Gur-k-ha.  I need help on ‘felt’ .  K is the constant- pounds of load per inch
                             of deflection- and ‘ha’ the laughing, but can only find ‘gur’ as a sweet cane sugar)
29.   BAKEWELL – ( ‘ball’ around ‘Kew’ with last letter of EVERYONe – the famous tart from Derbyshire,
                                so nicely distracting)
DOWN

1.    HARD UP -(h-a -rd-u-p – An A road being a main one.  Early for the pantomime season when
                          Baron Hard-up makes his appearance.)
2.    WISCONSIN – ( wEST- iNDIES- s-cons-in.  )
3.    TEMPT  -( MP within alternate letters of treaty)
4.    EARFLAP – ( *fear <pal)
6.    ODD-JOBMAN – ( >do-*banjomd)
7.    ICENI – ( ice <in. ancient Celtic tribe of eastern England – Boadicea led them in the 1st century AD)
8.    GIBBERED – ( GI- >ebb-red.  More often seen as the participle ‘gibbering’ with ‘idiot’!)
11.   AQUA – ( A quaRT – Roger and Temperature off.  A blue-green shade.)
15.   ADAM FAITH – ( *had a, around m- fait ['made' in French].  Singer and Actor who died after performing on stage in 2003)
17.   LOOKALIKE – loo-k-ali-k-eNHANCE.  ‘Loo’ and ‘can’ are both terms for W.C.Two ‘k’s for kilos , and ‘ali’ obviously for the boxer. Not sure about ‘image’ as definition for this answer.)
18.   WHOPPING – ( ‘wing’ around ho-pp)
20.   DOUR  -( d-ET-our) Et middle letters of Exeter.)
21.   CASSAVA – ( ‘ass’ within ‘cava’ the poor man’s champagne)
22.   KERNEL – (homophone of colonel, and the main feature or ‘nuts and bolts’)
24.   ULCER- (hidden in DREADFul-cerEMONY – money being the root of all evil too)
25.   SABRE – (sALVATION-aRMY-b-re)

12 Responses to “FT 12,924, Set by Aardvark, November 13, 2008”

1. Geoff Moss says:

28a is RUG reversed (felt restored) though I am not convinced that felt and rug are synonyms.

Hi Octofem

28ac: could felt be RUG reversed [= 'restored']?

17dn: ‘image’ = ‘lookalike’ as in someone being the image of someone else.

Just beaten by Geoff, I see!

3. Geoff Moss says:

Octofem
    Sorry if I seemed to be rude. Somehow I managed to submit the comment before I had added a greeting. Anyway, to rectify that – Good Afternoon (not that it is good, it’s [expletive deleted] raining again).

4. Octofem says:

Thanks Geoff. I agree with you. I have heard of ‘rug’ as synonym for ‘wig’ but not for ‘felt’.

5. Geoff Moss says:

Octofem
    Further research has revealed that Collins and COED do not support ‘felt’ and ‘rug’ as being synonymous but Chambers does effectively define both as being ‘a fabric made from wool’ (though felt is compressed and rug is woven).

6. Octofem says:

It never occurred to me for a moment that you were being ill-mannered Geoff. It is always a delight to hear from you and from Eileen too. Incidentally it is even pouring in sunny Dorset!
    Only second thoughts I had were that ‘matted’ and ‘felted’ were similar, and that mat =rug, but it is pushing things a little.

Octofem

I’m still puzzling over how 24dn works: I can see that you’ve taken emony [money]* – source of evil – [except it's 'love of money!] from ceremony and that you’ve found ULCER hidden in ‘dreadful ceremony’ but what’s the definition and where is the hidden answer indicator? I’m feeling really stupid over this.

I thought this was quite hard, with some clever clues [by which I often mean I feel clever at having managed to solve them!] I’m glad to see that Aardvark is classified as ‘hard’ on the website.

[Raining here in Leicester, too, after a glorious day yesterday.]

8. Geoff Moss says:

Eileen

One of Chambers’ definitions for ‘ulcer’ is ‘a continuing source of evil, pain or corruption’.

There is no ‘hidden’ indicator, ‘banishing some’ means removing part(s) of ‘dreadful ceremony’ to give [dreadf]UL CER[emony].

Thank you, Geoff. That makes sense. So the MONEY anagram was just a red herring and there was no misquotation!

10. Octofem says:

Back again! I wasn’t happy about the ‘money’ portion, as there was no indicator for the ‘dreadf’ letters, but was misled by the ‘root of all evil’ into thinking I had better mention it.
    I think we all found the puzzle rather taxing, Eileen. Still raining!

11. Agentzero says:

Thanks, all. A number of these had me stumped.

I feel obliged to point out, though, that Wyatt Earp was never a cowboy.

12. Geoff Moss says:

Hi Agentzero, it’s good to see you visiting us again.

“I feel obliged to point out, though, that Wyatt Earp was never a cowboy.”

That depends on your definition of ‘cowboy’ which, according to Chambers, can be ‘any rather rough male in stories, etc of the old American West, such as a gunfighter or a man involved in fighting Indians’.

I don’t think there is any doubt that Wyatt Earp was a gunfighter ;-)