Posted by Ciaran McNulty on November 13th, 2008
A fairly topical theme, with the Turner Prize nominees being exhibited at the moment. Like a lot of people I find this sort of puzzle, with a large set of related answers, fairly frustrating. If you’re not familiar with the subject you’re stuffed and need to resort to cheating, while if you’re able to spot the answers from the grid it becomes too easy!
As it happened I did fairly well on spotting artists’ names so got the grid populated quite quickly. I only had a couple of unsatisfactory answers (2 and 4d).
<< = reversed
“” = homophone
* = anagram
(X) = inserted
(x) = deleted
dd = double definition
1. OTTAWA. [A WAT TO]<<. A wat is a temple, as in Angkor Wat.
4. LOCKJAW. “Jock Law” spoonerised. Lockjaw is an old name for Tetanus.
9. OBSTINACY. ACTIONSBY*.
10. REIGN. “Rain”. Initially put in “slide”.
11. STEVE MCQUEEN. Name shared between the artist and the actor.
12. INVISIBLE. IN + VI(SIB)LE.
15. RACHEL WHITEREAD. R.A. + CHÉ + L(ine) + WHITE + READ.
17. HANDEL. “HANDLE”.
19. TRUCKER. T(R)UCKER.
22. GAIN POWER. NEWPAIRGO*.
27. EXECUTIVE. EXE + CUT + I’VE.
28. ENDLESS. (b)ENDLESS.
29. DESERT. dd.
1. OPOSSUM. OP(t) + SO<< + SUM.
2. TASTE. TATE is the home of the Turner Prize. Presumably S is ‘close to bankrupt’ somehow?
4. LAY OVER. L(AY)OVER. Presumably Always = AY?
5. CHRIS OFILI. C + H(R)IS + O(F)IL + I.
6. JAILBREAK. J(ack) + AIL + BEAR* + K(ing). Def of ‘escape trouble’ doesn’t quite sit right.
7. WINNER. W + INNER.
8. DAMIEN HIRST. THISDIREMAN*
14. QUALIFIED. dd.
16. CLUBHOUSE. CLUB + H(U)OSE. In golf, the clubhouse is referred to as the 19th hole.
18. LAWLESS. (f)LAWLESS.
20. RETREAT. RE-TREAT.
21. IGNORE. chartER ON GIbraltar.
23. PRIZE. “pries” in the sense of being nosey.
25. RHINE. R(iver) + HIN(d) + E(stuary).