Guardian 24,549 – Brummie

cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

Most of you would have cottoned on to the theme of this puzzle?
Look hard for Snow White (1 & 11) and the Seven Dwarfs (marked *)
Well done to Brummie for getting all these words in without any funny or obscure words like those typically found in an Azed puzzle.

This puzzle is made all the more entertaining and challenging by intelligent use of creative definitions e.g. sleepy as ready to drop off; layer as crossword setter’s hen, etc

9 NO-BRAINER No bra (underwear lacking) + INER *(rein)
10 USHER cd
11 WHITE Cha of whit (bit) E (end of pie)
12 EPICENTRE Epic (Beowulf is indeed an epic) ENTRE *(enter)
13 SHEPPEY Ins of HEP (informed or well abreast of fashionable knowledge and taste) in Spey (river in Scotland) Sheppey is an island off the northern coast of Kent, England in the Thames Estuary, some 38 miles (62 km) to the east of central London
14 TIERCEL Cha of Tier (level) CEL (l) unit, a male hawk
17 HOW-TO Ins of Owt (anything) in HO (house)
*19 DOC Ins of O (duck) in DC (rev of CD, compact disk)
*20 HAPPY Substitution of P (pressure) for R (Rex) in HARPY, a grasping, greedy woman
*21 BASHFUL Cha of Bash (party) FUL (l)
22 ST LEGER Cha of ST (stone) Leger (Joseph Fernand Henri Léger (1881 – 1955) was a French painter, sculptor, and filmmaker and of course, the St Leger, run at Doncaster in Sept each year is a well-known classic race
24 TOWNSCAPE Cha of T (trader initially) OWNS (has) CAPE (Superman accessory)
26 THUMB Ins of HUM (buzz) in TB (tuberculosis. a bacterial disease) and I think Tom Thumb needs no introduction
*28 DOPEY Dope (grass) Y (by minus b for black)
29 IMPROMPTU I’m prompt + U (start of untitled)

1 SNOW Slang word for cocaine. I can see that NOW is the rev of WON (bagged) but have no satisfactory explanation for S. However, I can rely on my three stalwarts marked by AGE (Andrew, Geoff & Eileen) & wisdom to put that right anon
2 OBLIGE O (love) + ins of LI (51) G (grand) in BE (live)
3 WATERPROOF *(to RAF power)
*4 SNEEZY What a lovely cd for yet another of Snow White’s companions
5 ARTISTIC Ins of TISTI *(sit it) in ARC (electrical discharge) By the way, this artist Lucian Freud is the grandson of Sigmund
6,24 YULETIDE Yule (sounds like you will) Tide (rev of edit, change the written word)
7 WHITECAP *(cape with) a crested wave
8 TRUE BLUE Cha of true (straight) blue (down)
13 SAHIB Ins of H (Henry, unit of inductance) in SAIB (rev of bias, bent)
15 EXHALATION Cha of ex (former wife) HAL (Henry) (n) ATION
16 LAYER Ins of Y (party ending) in LAER (rev of real or physical as opposed to imaginary or intangible)
18 WASHWIPE Cha of WAS (happened to be) H (hot) W (with) I (current) P (power) E (energy)
19 DALMATIA Ins of AL (man) in DMATI  &(admit) + A. See a map of Dalmatia and you will understand why it has been clued as “a cooastal strip of land”
*22 SLEEPY Ins of L (top of ledge)in Seepy (drippy)
*23 GRUMPY Ins of rump (back) in GY (extreme letters of George Smiley)
25 SOYA Ins of O (ball) in SYA *(say)

31 Responses to “Guardian 24,549 – Brummie”

1. Andrew says:

Hi Uncle Yap.
    In 1dn I think it’s way=south=S, which goes “over the top”

What a treat – some very clever clueing and lots to raise a smile. Thank you, Brummie, – and Uncle Yap, as ever.

3. smutchin says:

A thoroughly enjoyable one today, though it took me a while to get started. And despite getting Bashful, Grumpy and Doc, I didn’t spot the connection until I read Uncle Yap’s intro, at which point I went back to the puzzle and got most of the rest quite quickly.

Also, I must try to remember that “classic” is nearly always a horse racing reference in crosswordese… I stared at 22ac for ages before giving up.

I especially enjoyed 13ac, being a local(ish). It’s almost &lit – the island is “circled” by the Thames esturary and to call Sheppey “once fashionable” would be a polite way of describing it.

4. RobW says:

I finished it, after finally getting 4d, then came here to check my answers. Imagine my chagrin at not spotting the theme! Still, I suppose if I had I wouldn’t have had quite so much fun. A nice crossword.

I loved [among many other things] the slight misdirection in 5dn – Lucian is not the first Freud that springs to my mind – and was tickled to see that, by coincidence, his grandpa crops up in today’s FT puzzle.

6. Ian Hinds says:

Excellent today. The Brummie/Cyclops wit, as always, well to the fore. Clever stuff esp. 12a and 24a.

7. Shirley says:

Smutchin – I think the “once fashionable” in 13Ac applies to the “Hep” which was once a very fashionable word in the 60′s.
    I agree that even its greatest fans would not call the Isle of Sheppey fashionable at any time in its history!

8. mhl says:

A fun and satisfying crossword, although (as usual with Brummie) I found it rather tough. SHEPPEY was much the most difficult, I think, followed by ST LEGER for those of us who know nothing about horse racing.

Eileen: I also liked that if you were thinking of Sigmund instead of Lucian, then ANALYTIC might be a plausible answer for “Freud-like” given the last two crossing letters.

9. benthebiscuit says:

Hi, can anyone explain to a novice;

18d…why is current “I”?

And what is 11ac all about? The only reason I can see the solution might be WHITE is that it’s a synonym of “pasty”.

10. mhl says:

Benthebiscuit: “I” is often used as the name for current in electronics, e.g. in Ohm’s law: V = IR

In 11 across, you’re quite right that “pasty” is the definition part. A “whit” is a tiny amount, so you get that from “bit” – I think that’s most often used nowadays in the expression “not a whit of a (something)”. The rest is E for for “end of pie”.

11. benthebiscuit says:

Thanks for that Mhl.

Trying to teach myself to do the cryptics is a long process…perhaps I should have piad more attention in Physics at school.

12. JimboNWUK says:

Where is the clue proper in 2D? is it Make=oblige or grand=oblige because it it’s either of those then that is too much of a ‘stretch of credibility ‘ for me. I didn’t get the theme until I had 6 of the 7 little sods and had to ask a bloke in the pub for the seventh. And to Mhl, I had more of a problem being unfamiliar with an obscure FRENCH artist than a BRITISH classic horserace… you know the place…Britain, where you live? Not France where you don’t? (presumably!)

Jimbo: 2dn: OBLIGE = ‘make’. If you’re obliged to do something you are ‘made’ to do it. G = grand, as Uncle Yap says.

[You sound a little 23 dn again today...]

14. Andrew says:

Jimbo – I read 2dn as make=oblige (as in oblige someone to do something) and wordplay O=love + BE around LI (51) + G(rand)

PS:Jimbo: [from Google]: Freud, Lucian (1922- ). German-born British painter. He was born in Berlin, a grandson of Sigmund Freud, came to England with his parents in 1931, and acquired British nationality in 1939.

A thousand apologies, Jimbo – I realise now you were talking about Leger!!

17. Tom Hutton says:

Since I got 1dn last (not being very hep to the drug scene) the theme was rather lost on me, though I did appreciate having a clue about me at last (23dn). Not getting the theme made some of the themed clues rather lumpy to solve.

18. Geoff says:

Sorry, Uncle Yap – I didn’t pick today’s crossword up until mid afternoon, by which time your usual correspondents had sorted it all out!

Found this one quite tricky (but see below!). Brummie uses a lot of words in his clues, which (I find) makes the word play more difficult to spot than in terser examples. That’s an observation, not a complaint – there are rarely any extraneous words in the clues, which is very clever. Only counter-example in this puzzle would be 16dn, where “Crossword setter’s” is redundant – “Hen party ending in physical upheaval” would work just as well.

And, as usual when it is not actually flagged up in the clues, I totally failed to spot the theme. Duh!

19. mhl says:

JimboNWUK: you’re right, I probably wouldn’t have got it anyway, I’m just grumpy that I didn’t make the “classic” = “horse race” association. (I don’t remember seeing that before, but maybe I’m having a Sherlock Holmes Cosmology Moment.)

20. JamieC says:

I was completely flummoxed today, but having seen the blog, I realise that was entirely my own fault. Some excellent clues and a brilliant way to include a theme – without actually telling you there’s a theme.

One tiny gripe though re 15d – the clue refers to Henry VIII. Obviously the VIII is there to go with the beheading in the surface reading, but does it contribue to the wordplay? I would normally associate HAL with Henry V, and if it’s just intended to be a shortening of Henry, then VIII is redunandant, no? Or am I being too picky?

21. Fletch says:

I rather liked ‘Crossword setter’s hen’ as the def. I thought it was a sort of joke about layer being a word setters commonly use to try to mislead that part of the answer is hen.

22. John says:

I enjoyed this very much, but what on earth is a washwipe? OneLook’s never heard of it and neither have I.

23. Geoff Moss says:

John
    Washwipe – (in a motor vehicle) a mechanism for spraying the front or the rear windscreen with washing fluid, which is distributed and wiped off by the windscreen wiper (Chambers)

24. MarkH says:

Washwipe defined in Chambers as – (in a motor vehicle)a mechanism for spraying the front or the rear windscreen with washing fluid which is distributed and wiped off by the windscreen wiper.

For some reason I had washpipe in here which held me up a while. I too completed this but failed to spot the Snow White theme.
    Very enjoyable, nicely disguised definitions, thanks Brummie.

25. don says:

Nowt wrong with this one, Brummie!

As Fletch said, I too liked ‘Crossword setter’s hen’ as a definition of ‘layer’, which was well disguised by the run on with ‘party’. Also ‘Given to retirement’ as the definition of ‘bashful’.

I don’t think it’s just a question of I ‘often’ being the symbol for electrical current; I is _the_ symbol for current in the Systeme International, which has been adopted internationally for scientific and nearly all technical purposes.

26. JohnR says:

Sorry to be so late!

24ac – “perhaps oily” baffled me – is this a convention for “[oil] painting of”?

As always, thanks very much for the blog, Uncle Yap. I completely missed the theme, but I expect I’ll get over it. Sigh…

27. smutchin says:

Shirley – believe it or not, Leysdown on Sheppey was once a fashionable seaside resort! Yes, “once fashionable” clearly means “an old-fashioned word for fashionable” but I thought the clue was cleverly worded to be almost (but not strictly) &lit. Otherwise the only definition in the clue is “isle” which is less satisfying.

28. John says:

Washwipe must be one of those fancy London expressions!

29. Dave Ellison says:

I too missed the theme. I had snow and white early on, but all the dwarfs were the last ones I got so the theme wouldn’t have helped, particularly as I had dippy for 28ac (was going to look up dipp as grass when I got home!).

30. ygor says:

I’m sure Sheppey was the eighth Dwarf. The one we don’t like too talk abut.

31. George Foot says:

What an amazing achievement by Brummie to have such a wonderful theme and so many people, myself included, not notice it’s there. And it wasn’t as though it was a rather obscure theme, nearly everyone must know about Snowhite and the seven Dwarves. And thank you Uncle Yap or I would never have known.