Posted by Andrew on November 26th, 2008
I blogged what I think was Boatman’s first puzzle a few weeks ago, and here he is again. The consensus then seemed to be that he was a promising addition to the stable, and again in this puzzle there are some very nice clues, including a couple of brilliant “anagram &lit”s, but I also have a few nitpicks.
dd = double definition
* = anagram
< = reverse
1. CAR PARK CARP ARK
5. ATISHOO Homophone (or near-homophone, depending how you say it…) of “at issue”
10. ASIA Hidden – nice one I thought, with “Where most live” as the definition.
11. PERMAFROST P + (FARMERS TO)*
12. ONE-TWO (OWEN TO) – a manoeuvre in football
13. ICE CUBES CUBE in ICES. The cube of a number is its third power. My elderly relatives used to ask me if I wanted “an ice”, meaning an ice-cream, so ices are summer treats, but the double use of the word in the answer and the wordplay is pretty weak.
14. WHITE FISH Spoonerism of “fight wish”
16. AGREE RE in AGE
17. SPARE dd
19. ROALD DAHL (HAD A DROLL)* – Dahl wrote the children’s book James and the Giant Peach.
23. FRUITLET FRUIT LET. Unless I’m missing something this is a bit weak – Chambers gives “offspring of animals” as an archaic meaning of “fruit”, but in any case it just seems to be a metaphorical version of the usual sense.
24. APHIDS HID in SAP &lit
26. DEPARTURES (READERS PUT)*
27. NOOK NO OK
28. BUS STOP (POTS SUB)< – clever use of “vessel” in two senses.
29. UNLUCKY U(ntouchables) + CLUNK* + Y(ou)
2. ABSINTH SIN in BATH*
3. PLANT PLAN T. I don’t like T= “end product”
4. REPROOF REP ROOF
6. TRAVEL T + RAVEL. Maurice Ravel wrote a lot more than just that Boléro. I’m not keen on “Top trio” meaning “Top of trio”.
7. SCROUNGED (CRUDE SONG)*
8. OBSCENE O.B. SCENE
9. TRAINSPOTTERS (TRANSPORT SITE)* &lit – brilliant
15. TERMINALS (TRAMLINES)* &lit – Boatman’s on a roll here!
18. PARVENU (PERU VAN)* – dodgy wording here: the “in” is redundant.
20. LIAISON AIL< + I + SON (French “his”)
21. HADDOCK HAD DOCK
22. BLOTTO B LOTTO – though Lotto is a game rather than “gaming”
25. HINDU HIND + U (“you”)