Posted by Ciaran McNulty on December 3rd, 2008
I almost forgot I had to do this today, subsequently I had to solve it over lunch which added a bit more pressure than normal! I consequently can’t be too objective about its difficulty but it seemed reasonably easy.
I did have quite a few niggles with some clues, outlined below. For me half the joy of a good clue is in admiring how clever it is, not in thinking ‘hm, does that really work?’.
< = reversed
“” = homophone
* = anagram
c.d. = cryptic definition
7. ARTISAN. ASTRAIN*
8. ARTEMIS. ARTIMES*.
9. BUNG. Nice c.d.
10. EXPATIATE. EXPAT(r)IATE
12. CLOUT. C(lumsy) + LOUT. A hard-to-spot triple def – clout nail is a type of nail, as well as clout meaning ‘hit’.
13. OBSERVER. OB(solete). + SERVER. Being a technical type, I don’t like the use of ‘server’ as ‘provider of email’.
15. SCAM. MACS<. ‘Big Macs’ are burgers, ‘Macs’ are not, to my knowledge.
16. ETHOS. gET HOStile.
17. TUBE. c.d. referring to IVF.
18. CASEMENT. C(AS)EMENT.
20. ERROR. (t)ERROR.
21. HERETICAL. Presumably a weakish c.d. unless I’ve missed some wordplay.
22. IVES. (g)IVES.
24. PINTADO. PINT + A DO. A type of bird
25. FIGURES. FI(GU(n))RES.
1. FRAU. Fr. + Au (french for ‘to the’).
2. RINGWORM. RING + M ROW<.
3. PATENT. PATE + N(o)T.
4. PROTESTS. PRO-TESTS.
5. REPAIR. REP + AIR. AIR = broadcasting doesn’t work for me (missing an ‘ing’).
6. HIRE. “Higher”.
11. PROPHETIC. HITCOPPER*.
12. COCOA. C.O. + C.O. + A.
14. EMBER. (sept/nov/dec)EMBER.
16. EVENTIDE. EVENT + DIE*.
19. EGRETS. E.G. + REST*.
20. ECLAIR. E.C. LAIR, the commedienne being Jenny and EC being the postcode for most of The City of London. Possibly Jenny is a bit too obscure.
21. HEIR. tHE IRish.
23. EVEN. (s)EVEN. ‘Six is’ is too vague for me.