Independent 6,918/Dac

Posted by Ali on December 17th, 2008

Ali.

Nothing too difficult here, but absolutely nothing to complain about either. Lovely clues as ever from Dac, and a nice way to pass the time on the 73 bus between Angel and Euston (in moderate traffic!)

1 SWEATERS – S,WEAT[-h]ERS
6 ALCOVE – AL (Capone),COVE
9 KNOB – K[nocks],NOB
10/11 CONGESTION CHARGE – CON,(AGGRO IN CHESTE[-r])* – Nice use of the word ‘scam’ here which some Londoners might argue could be part of the definition too!
12 OVERLAID – (LIVE RAD[-i]O)*
8 VIOLIN CONCERTOS
14 DROLLNESS – ROLL in SEND rev. – I like send-up for DNES
16 GYM SHOE – (MY GOSH)*,[-rac]E
17 CAROUSE – CAROUSE[-l]
18 DEATHLY – (THE LADY)*
20 SCHMO – SCH,MO

5 Responses to “Independent 6,918/Dac”

1. Mick h says:

If you were on the 73 bus around 9am, then I was a little way beneath you, just finishing this one off as my Northern Line train pulled into King’s Cross!

2. NealH says:

I only really struggled on Veneto which, not being an expert on Italy, I thought might be Reveto. Ven, which is assume is short for venerable, didn’t leap to mind for cleric.

3. NealH says:

After the somewhat loose definitions in yesterday’s Guardian, where politicians’ promises were lies and the sounds in the House of Lords were ZZ, I was relieved that Dac didn’t define the congestion charge as a road toll scam.

4. Wil Ransome says:

The usual excellent stuff from Dac, but I noticed two differences from the norm:
    a) this was unusually easy (although having said that, I had REVETO for 24ac)
    b) for the first time that I can remember Dac has been ever so slightly un-Ximenean, or at least un-Azedian: two of his clues (7dn, 8dn) are cryptic definitions (unusual for Dac I think but am not sure), and (in 14dn) he has ‘send-up’ as an anagram of ‘send’.

5. Paul B says:

Outrageous. I call for Dac’s immediate reclassification.