Posted by Ciaran McNulty on December 19th, 2008
Not too hard today but a few unsatisfactory clues.
“” = homophone
* = anagram
< = reversed
1. SCARCE. SCARFACE – ‘FA’. Fa is the subdominant note of the scale.
5. MANITOBA. MAN I TO B.A. I immediately wrote in MAJIORCA, which didn’t help.
9. IMPALING. I’M PALIN G. Nicely topical if it were written a few months ago!
10. SCENTS. “SENSE” but the surface is very muddled.
11. FELT. Related to the previous clue, but again in a muddled way.
12. CONUNDRUMS. CO-NUN DRUMS. I liked this one a lot.
13. OWNS UP. OWN SUP? Don’t know what ‘she’ is doing.
14. ANTIMONY. AN(TIMON)Y. Timon of Athens was a famous misanthrope.
16. PLUCKLEY. PLUCK(LE)Y. Bit obscure if you don’t commute from Kent!
19. OCTANE. ACTONE*.
20. EGG GLASSES. EGG + G + LASSES. Presumably the same as egg timers, but is defined weirdly.
22. ASTI. AS + IT< &lit.
23. SECANT. S(E)CANT. A trigonometric function.
24. MOCCASIN. M + OCCASION – O.
25. KNEE-JERK. More of a definition than a cryptic definition
26. SOLVER. SOL(V)ER. Antonio Francisco Javier José Soler Ramos, 1729-1783.
2. CAMBERWELL GREEN. C. + AMBER (WELL) GREEN.
3. REACT. TRACE*
4. EPISCOPAL. SPICE* + OPAL. I think the def is ‘over see’.
5. MAGENTA. M (A GENT) A.
6. NISAN. N(IS)AN. A month in the Hebrew calendar.
7. THEOREM. THE + MORE*
8. BATSMAN ON STRIKE. dd
15. TROSSACHS. SORT< + SACHS. Could be a few different poets.
17. COGNATE. CO(GNAT)E. Sebastian Coe.
18. YASHMAK. Y + AMASK* with H in &lit.
21. ANTAE. ANEAT*.
22. AVAIL. A VAIL. I can find reference to a vail being a tip or gratuity, so could also mean a bribe.