Independent 6915/Morph

Posted by neildubya on December 19th, 2008

neildubya.

Nice puzzle with an amusing mini-theme. I couldn’t get 10 and I don’t understand all of the wordplay in 5. Not completely convinced about 14d either, although I can’t see what else the answer might be.

1 H,(U DO I MAKE SENSE)* – HOUSEMAID’S KNEE.
8/25 (MP ARC[-h]ER WRIST)* – WRITER’S CRAMP. Great surface reading as Jeffrey Archer is a writer and used to be an MP.
9/19 J,(PEOPL[-e],SNIGGER)* – JOGGER’S NIPPLE.
11 S(HIV)A – “Triad member” is a neat bit of deception as it’s nothing to do with the Chinese organized crime groups. Instead it’s a reference to the three Hindu deities: Brahma, SHIVA and Vishnu.
12 (NINE)* in (TELLY)* – LENIENTLY.
13 YE,MEN,I
14 ARAK<,OKE – KARAOKE. Filled this is almost straightaway from the definition but took a lot longer to work what was going on: ARAK is an aniseed flavoured drink and OKE is another spelling of OK.
16 PRO(LON)G – not sure about this but I think “west London” is LON (so east would be DON). It’s a bit vague but I can’t see how else the clue might work.
22 [-g]RE-ENGAGES.
24 SON,IC
26 S,PANNER
27 (CATO IRE)* – EROTICA
28 AMBASSADORSHIP – “Posting” is the definition, with the rest of the clue suggesting a pun similar to the other “complaint” clues in the puzzle: AMBASSADOR’S HIP.

1 HAWKS – a reference to the rather marvellous Howard Hawks, who directed, amongst others, Bringing up Baby, Red River and The Big Sleep.
2 hidden (upside down) in “boxES I LIT Upon”
3 EL,E,VAT,E
4 (SLOB)* in [-h]AVING – ABSOLVING
5 D(I)J,ON – not sure why “not Col” is ON.
6 K,(EG,BE[-er]),ER
7 ELECT,OR(going up)
10 S?Y?E? – couldn’t get this one. “Ways it’s said they go up the wall?”
14 KING’S HEAD – not sure about this either. It’s definitely a “name of local” and it’s a “complaint” along the lines of the others in the puzzle but the word “head” appears in the both the clue (“headgear”) and the answer – that can’t be right can it?
15 S(PARK)S – a variant on the more familiar (to me anyway) “sparky”.
17 OVER ARM
18 ORGAN,ZA
20 SIP<,SOIR – PISSOIR
21 ([O for E]NGLISH)* – LONGISH.
23 GU(R)NS

6 Responses to “Independent 6915/Morph”

1. beermagnet says:

10A was STYLES def. ways and homophone STILES which help you get over a wall.

5A the “not Col” comes after a “:” colon, thus gives ON!
    I liked that.

2. SimonHarris says:

16ac – I certainly read it the same way as you (LON being W. London). Glad I wasn’t the only one to not quite follow 5ac too!

3. Allan_C says:

Can’t remember exactly what the clue was in 14dn, but at the time I thought it might have something to do with ‘uneasy lies the head that wears the crown’ – a crown being an example of headgear. But it was one of those clues where the answer is (fairly) obvious and you only appreciate the wordplay afterwards.
    I thought the puzzle as a whole was remarkably easy compared to some Saturday offerings!

4. nmsindy says:

I don’t have the puzzle with me, but I also read it as a reference to “uneasy lies the head” etc. Also agree re LON = west LONdon.

5. Chris says:

“Head” in both the answer and the clue threw me as well, and I was hesitant to write in the answer until it became clear that it couldn’t be anything else. A bit sloppy, I’d say.

6. eimi says:

Given the theme, I couldn’t help smiling when I noticed that the first answer to the previous Saturday’s crossword, published underneath this grid, was CLEVER DICK.