Posted by Ciaran McNulty on December 22nd, 2008
As sometimes happens, I filled in the grid very quickly but took a while to come up with the reasoning behind some of the clues.
A vague Christmas theme, a lot of anagrams and a few weak cds.
* = anagram
< = reversed
dd = double definition
(X) = insertion
(-x) = removal
5. ON HAND. dd? Not sure it means ‘next door’.
6. APIECE. A(PIE)CE. An ace is a fast serve in tennis.
9. HAIRDO. HAIR + DO. Def of ‘one all set’ doesn’t really satisfy.
10. APERITIF. APE + R + IT + IF. I like the use of ‘copyright’ for ‘copy + right’.
11. AGES. SAGE*. ‘Stuffing’ as an anagrind seems odd.
12. SNOWSTORMS. S + NOW + MR(OT)S<< + S
13. PARTY SPIRIT. dd
18. ASSISTANTS. SITSSANTA*
21. PACK. dd
22. WISHBONE. cd. (not very cryptic)
23. SPEECH. c.d. (not very cryptic either)
24. INRUSH. I + RUNS* + H.
25. IMPEDE. I’M + DEEP*.
1. CHARISMA CHRI(-st)MAS*
2. ENDOWS. SNOWED*.
3. APRES-SKI. Was expecting an anagram but it’s just c.d.
4. MERINO. RIMEON*. A type of sheep / wool.
5. ORANGE. dd.
7. ENIGMA. GAMEIN*
8. CAROL-SINGER. cd. I had to wait for the checking letters for the second word. A ‘wait’ is a piece sung by carol-singers but was expecting something like ‘-concert’ or ‘-service’.
14. TITMOUSE. TOSUITME*
15. IN PIECES. (-m)INCEPIES*
16. ASSISI. mASS IS Identified.
17. ICICLE. cd.
16. INHERE. IN + HERE. ‘To be inherent’
20. SESAME. ‘Open Sesame’ is the password in Aladdin.