Independent 6927 by Punk

Posted by NealH on December 29th, 2008

NealH.

*=anag, []=dropped, <=reversed, hom=homophone

An enjoyable puzzle with a good mix of clues. The only one I didn’t follow was 21 down.

1 Attache: Cryptic def (attache case).
5 Sampler: S[titches] + ampler.
9 San Marino: Romanians*. Something of an old favourite, this one – I’ve certainly seen it a few times before.
10 Squab: [Confes]s + qua + B.
11 Humpback bridge: I wasn’t totally sure on the details of this one. I think it’s (hump = carry) + (over = back) + (subject of contract = [contract] bridge) and the definition is “rise on the way”.
13 Clergymen: R + gym in clean.
15 Sprat: Spat around r.
16 Sable: B in sale.
18 Set square: (set = fixed) + (square = old-fashioned).
20 A bit of all right: (i to fall) in (a bright). Def = “sexy woman”.
23 Idiot: Idi (Amin) + OT (old testament).
24 Outskirts: Out + S[urrey] + strik[e]<. My favourite clue – a beautiful cricket-based surface reading.
25 Garment: Gent around arm (= contents of sleeve).
26 Shyster: S[top] + hyst (short for hysterectomy) + [ov]er.
1 Also: A LSO (London Symphony Orchestra).
2 Tonsure: Ton + sure + &lit.
3 Champagne bottle: excellent cryptic definition.
4 Evita: [n]ative<. I’m not sure why Evita is the “mother of all musicals”.
5 Stockinet: (etc so knit)*.
6 Mistress Quickly: I stress quickly after M. Mistress Quickly is a character who appears in a number of Shakespeare plays.
7 Launder: LA + under.
8 Rubber Tree: Rubber + Tree. Although he’s mostly forgotten elsewhere, Herbert Tree still comes up frequently in crosswords.
12 Ice Skating: (I can get ski)*.
14 Mess About: Me + bass< + out.
17 Brinier: in inside brier.
19 Athirst: At + (Damien) Hirst.
21 Lotus: Didn’t follow this, apart from it being a flower.
22 User: US ER. Another great clue.

11 Responses to “Independent 6927 by Punk”

1. conradcork says:

21 down. For all to see is U and the thing you draw is LOTS.

2. Geoff Moss says:

21d U (film classification, ‘for all to see’) in LOTS (‘something to draw’)

3. nmsindy says:

An excellent puzzle from this talented setter – a little easier than some of his previous ones, I found. Some minor points – in OUTSKIRTS the strik is reversed and I read SHYSTER slightly differently as S HYSTERectomy i.e. half of it. Guessed EVITA straightaway without fully understanding it, but it might have something to do with her being known as the ‘mother of the nation’, I think.

Hi Neal

I found the following quotation from ‘The reason of my life’, by Eva Peron, which might be the answer to your query re 4dn.

“Now if I were asked what I prefer, my answer would immediately come out of me: I prefer my popular name. When a boy says “Evita” I feel like the mother of all the boys and all the weak and humble people of my land. When a worker calls me “Evita” I proudly feel like a “companion” of all the men.”

Sorry, Nmsindy – didn’t see yours!

6. nmsindy says:

You’ve explained it much better, Eileen.

7. Phi says:

Herbert Beerbohm Tree (to be precise) deserves to survive as the begetter of one of the great theatre criticisms – W S Gilbert called his Hamlet: ‘Funny, without being vulgar’.

Whether that is enough to allow him to appear as a reference in a daily puzzle is a moot point though.

8. Wil Ransome says:

In 21dn we are asked to see ‘lots’ as ‘something to draw’. But I can’t see how they are equivalent. A lot is something to draw; lots are things to draw.

9. mhl says:

Thanks for that wonderful quotation, Phi :)

10. nmsindy says:

Wil (re comment 8), I’d no problems with this, I’ll have to say – I think what you could draw could be a plural item, as here.

Re Tree, yes, I knew him as an actor only from long acquaintance with crosswords.

11. mhl says:

My father pointed out to me that Hebert Beerbohm Tree also appears in “Gus: The Theatre Cat” by T. S. Eliot: “For he once was a Star of the highest degree- / He has acted with Irving, he’s acted with Tree.”