Posted by Ciaran McNulty on January 1st, 2009
Thankfully not that complicated today after a late night, but a reasonable challenge. There are lots of straightforward formulations, but with nice surfaces and some tricky meanings.
Either that or my brain’s still not up to speed!
* = anagram
< = reversed
1. FLOURISH. F(LOUR)ISH. Lour is a new word on me, it’s a variant of ‘lower’ and can mean a dark look.
5. STUPID. STU(PI)D. Pi is the relationship of a circle’s circumference to its radius.
9. SCARCITY. SCAR+CITY
10. INTACT. IN + TACT.
12. ANGEL. strANGELy
13. SAMARITAN. MARTINAAS*
14. METALLURGIST. ILLTREATSMUG*
18. PRACTITIONER. PARTINEROTIC*
21. DESDEMONA. DES + DEMON + A.
23. OCHRE. O(CH)RE. Ore is the equivalent of a penny in Norway, Denmark, Sweden.
24. MINTON. MINT + ON.
25. LINGERIE. LING + ERIE.
26. CUTLET. CUT + LET.
27. INUNDATE. 1 + NUN + DATE.
1. FISCAL. F(IS + CA)L
2. ORANGE. O + RANG + E(mporium)
3. RECOLLECT. RE + COLLECT. I’m not sure how ‘Re’ means touching. The collect is a christian prayer is a ‘prayer for the day’ just before the sermon.
4. SATISFACTION. SAT + 1’S + FACTION.
7. PLANTAIN. PL(ANT)AIN. Is plantain a weed? It’s quite delicious anyway.
8. DETONATE. D(NOTE<)ATE
11. AMELIORATION. EMAIL* + ORATION.
15. REED ORGAN. DEER< + ORGAN. I like the use of ‘does’ = DEER.
16. EPIDEMIC. EPI(DEMI)C.
17. MASSENET. MASS + E + NET.
19. SHERPA. PHRASE*
20. REVERE. R. (EVER) E.
22. ERODE. E.R. + ODE