Posted by Ciaran McNulty on January 12th, 2009
I sometimes get psyched out when I can’t get 1A easily, so I took a little while to get started today. Ploughed through most of the puzzle once I got going but took a long time to finish off the top-left corner.
Overall quite fun with what seemed like a lot of cryptic definitions. No real theme, although there are a couple of Old Testament references.
* = anagram
-x = removed
dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
<< = reversed
7. ALBACORE. BARCELO(-n)A*. Some sort of long-finned tuna, I had to resort to guessing ALB and looking it up.
9. NOISES. NO(IS)ES.
10. MAIL. dd – ‘post’ and also armour (as in chainmail).
11. LARGE SCALE. dd.
12. VIABLE. VI(AB)LE. Initially thought DOABLE and spent a while puzzling why DOLE=scurvy.
14. TORRENTS. TOR(RENT)S.
15. WEEKEND. WEE(KEN)D.
17. ALL TOLD. dd.
20. ACID RAIN. A + C.I. + DRAIN.
22. PARITY. PAR(1)TY.
23. IMPERSONAL. PRISONMEAL*.
24. BOWS. cd.
25. BANNER. dd – a CND supporter wants to ban the bomb.
26. SHOVE OFF. dd.
1. FLEA BITE. FLE(A BIT)E.
2. BALL. dd.
3. COLLIE. COL. + LIE.
4. INTEGRAL. TRIANGLE*.
5. WINCHESTER. WIN + CHESTER.
6. PELLET. cd.
8. ERRATA. AR(TAR)E<<.
13. BAKED BEANS. EDNASKEBAB*.
16. NOAH’S ARK. cd – took 2 of every animal.
18. LOT’S WIFE. cd – turned to salt when she looked back on Sodom and Gomorrah.
19. ANANAS. Hidden in bANANA Split.
21. CYMBAL. cd.
22. PILLOW. cd.
24. BOER. cd. Not that happy with ‘man’ as a clue for Boer.