Posted by Andrew on January 14th, 2009
A straightforward puzzle with nothing particularly exciting and a few very easy clues.
dd = double definition
cd = cryptic definition
* = anagram
< = reverse
1. TACTFUL (FACT ULT)* This almost qualifies as an indirect anagram, but as ULT is just an abbreviation of “ultimately” I’ll let it off
5. BOLLARD L L in BOARD
9. INNER (d)INNER, and an INNER is next to (“by”) the Bull’s-eye in archery.
10. BIG DIPPER Just a long-winded cd, I think
11. CAPITULATE (A TITLE + A CUP)*
12. PANS SNAP<
14. LEGAL TENDER cd. The definition of legal tender includes how much of particular denominations of currency must be accepted in settlement of a debt. E.g. in the UK 5p and 10p coins are only legal tender up to £5.
18. TRANSLUCENT (NEWCASTLE – WE + TURN)*. I was going to quibble about the definition TRANSLUCENT=”clear”, but Chambers gives it as one of the meanings.
21. MAIN I in MAN. I originally tried to make this work the other way round, so I was googling for islands call MEID or MEIR..
22. OBLITERATE LOB* + ITERATE
25. SCIENTIST cd – i.e. one who studies nature
26. ANNUL ANNUAL less A
27. ROAD HOG dd
28. SLEEPER dd – “supporter” refers to sleepers on railway lines
1. TWITCH TWIT CH
2. CANAPE (A PECAN)*
3. FIRST CLASS dd – very easy to get from the “mail” definition
4. LABEL L + ABLE* Another very simple one.
5. BAGATELLE dd – the forerunner of pinball machines.
6. LAID DIAL<
7. APPLAUDS APP + LADS around U
8. DERISORY (RORY’S IDE(a))*
13. SET THE PACE SET (=fix) + (HEAP ETC)*
15. GRUMBLING G + RUMBLING – the clue seems to have a misprint: “It good finding out..” should be “It’s good…”
16. ATOMISER (ARE MOIST)* &lit – A nice try at an &lit, but I don’t like “mostly” as a anagram indicator. I suppose it could be an anagram of IT ARE MO(i)S(t), but that’s even worse.
17. BASILICA (CIA LAB IS)*
19. CATNAP Chambers defines this as “a brief sleep, esp. without lying down”. I don’t know where “at work” comes into it, unless that’s where people are most likely to have catnaps.
20. CELLAR ELLA in CR
23. ICTUS (IS CUT)*
24. INCH (f)INCH. I originally had IONA here, from the “bird” FIONA, until ROAD HOG convinced me otherwise.